Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

He won't eat . . . ?

:iconkatethewolf05:
katethewolf05 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Disclaimer: Before you read this, please understand that I may be over exaggerating my frustration. I'm just really upset and I can't control my emotions. xD

Okay, so yesterday, I went out to buy a tortoise for my Christmas present with my family. I bought a 9 year old Russian Tortoise and he was really active in the store. The owner of the shop said that he had been in the store for 4 months so he was really healthy and used to the climate.
Today is my first day of owning a tortoise, so, I kind of wasn't sure of what to do. He looked fine, and when I put him outside for a walk, he was moving and seemed pretty happy. When I offered him his meal, a bowl of kale and shredded carrots topped with some calcium, he wouldn't eat it. He hasn't eaten yet and I'm somewhat worried. What should I do? Give him a bath? Or...is he sick? The owner said he eats a ton and relieves himself every now and then. He hasn't done any of that yet. Help?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmulta21:
Multa21 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Try asking the owner what he usually eats or, find an animal doctor. I would try the former first.
:iconmeemie7:
Meemie7 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
A russian tortises diet consist primarily of weeds. Dandelions are a favorite.
If you put him outside and then went in to get food, he might of already eaten something like a leaf or dandelion while you were preparing it. Or maybe he just ate a lot back at the store before you brought him home.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well reptiles don't have to eat every day like mammals do so he might just not be hungry
:iconadder-snakebite:
Adder-SnakeBite Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Do some research on the species and its diet. He may not be eating because you might be giving him the wrong food.
:iconaspacecowboy:
aspacecowboy Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
I wouldn't worry for a few weeks, not a day. Galapagos Tortoises were kept in the larder of ships for months without food and water as a source of fresh meat, so a day is less than nothing.

I'm a bio teacher who's kept more herps than I care to think about.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Don't panic.

Reptiles aren't like mammals. They can go a while without eating. And usually go off their food in a new place. Just

He's just not used to his environment. Put him in his tank and leave him for about a week, you can pet him a bit but don't pick him up or take him outside. Offer him fresh food and remove what he doesn't eat.

After a week or two when he's comfortable and eating again you can start to play with him.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
*just

Puppy forgot the preview button. Bad puppy.
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Maybe he's not wanting what you've offered? What did the previous owner say was your tortoise's favorite food? It's also quite possible he's still adjusting to his new surroundings and will eat soon enough. Give him a day to get adjusted and then go from there.
:iconmorthax:
Morthax Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think the poor guy is just a little confused and nervous about the new surroundings. Just let him be, and check some tortoise forums for more expert answers. :nod:
:iconshininginthedarkness:
1. Check his temps

2. Leave him alone

You only need to worry if he starts losing weight.
Add a Comment: