Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Should I call in sick?

:iconkarcx:
Karcx Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
So I just started a new job about a week ago... I've worked five days so far.... I really want to go into work tomorrow but I have to work with customers as a cashier (This is at a natural foods grocery story, not your traditional kroger or food lion, so you do actually have to talk more because good customer service is more important than just ringing items up.) and I'm hardly able to talk to people without coughing. My chest is so raw that even bending over a chair will hurt it.

I feel bad because I work three days in a row and next week I will be off for those three days because of a trip I've been planning since September that they knew about ahead of time. Earlier today I had to call in because it was icy and I hit a guard rail. I don't want to call in two days in a row but I've had my chest hurt like this many times before (irritated broncule tube) and I know if I talk even for a little bit I'll go into a coughing fit.

How would you handle the situation?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconashieepants:
Ashieepants Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
I was faced with a similar dilemma, I had a migraine, but was new and didn't want to look bad.

So I ended up going in, and then was sent home halfway through my shift. Which was a good thing because I was about to faint then, and had to stop a couple times driving home. <_<
:iconarmonah:
Armonah Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
I'd follow ~siantjudas's advice. Show up to work, let the decision to send you home for being too sick be up to them.
:iconcatapultedcarcass:
CatapultedCarcass Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Phone them up, explain your problem, ask if they think you should work or not.
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Nope, go to work.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist
I agree with ~siantjudas. You're a new employee and you've already called in not too long ago. Show up and if they choose to send you home, then you can go home. Otherwise it can really look bad and may hurt you later on with this company.
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I feel the need to start by saying it's your sickness, and you're the only one who knows what you can or can't do right now, and also that following anyone's advice is your choice and you can't blame people for what happens - just to say it. But here's what I would do if I were you.

Call in, tell them the situation and tell them that you're perfectly willing to work but only if they have something you can do without speaking. (If that's too much, ask a family member to call in for you and explain as much while you're there to sort things out.)

This shows them you're serious about your work, but given that you're a cashier- probably unable to do it. I've been in that position before, and it sucks :( But that's how I handled it and it worked out well.
I worked in a call center, lost my voice and they still wouldn't send me home. The folk on the phone couldn't hear me and would just hang up. I had the best call times for that day though :la:
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
xD Wow. Well I guess the main point is to show you're willing to try.
I think so. Especially for such a new employee. I know a lot of jobs use the first 3 months to see if you're going to work out...can't make a bad impression early on.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   Digital Artist
Show up, and have them send you home (if they choose to). That way you tried to work and then they can see that you're actually really sick, and not that they just hired someone who isn't ever going to come in.
Add a Comment: