Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Insecure about drawing near family

:icongagglygoo:
gagglygoo Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Hi, I recently got a tablet and started at it. I live in a 1 bedroom apartament with other 5 people. As you can imagine there's no space or privacy. I just can't get myself to draw a still life near them. Not only in fear that they will think my art is bad(Which it is atm) But also because they're such a distraction. When I draw i hear everything around me, and some sounds really piss me off. For example when someone chews loudly or I can hear them breathing. This isn't really a problem when doing other things, but I'm trying to concentrate. I`m nearing a point of just going tsomewhere else and drawing on paper. But, I like dra2ing in PS more just because. What do?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconebonsong:
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Find a corner where you can put your back to the wall, so no one can take peeks over your shoulder.

Put on some earbuds with your favorite music so you can't hear them chewing. Or earplugs if you'd rather have silence.

Try to have a temporary wall, plant or something in direct view of others if you find their movement distracting.

Have scheduled 'drawing times' so family knows not to interrupt you. Place a sign that says "I'm focusing, please talk to me later." Let them know at this time they should only contact you during emergencies.

If that doesn't work...

Go to your local library to draw pre-sketches on paper. You get the advantage of having dozens of art reference books at your fingertips.

Go to your local coffee/tea shop and draw there during slow times. Buy a drink and sip it slowly. The staff likely won't bother you on down times and you could always sketch your surroundings.

A local mall's cafeteria is another place. It's loud but you can wear earbuds/plugs to cut out the distracting sound.

With this method, you can get half your drawing practice done away from home and when you get some good sketches you can re-draw at home on your PS.

Good luck!
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Can you wait until after they're in bed to work?
:iconbaranamtara:
Baranamtara Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
When I was living home I shared a room with my sister... And there was my very nosy mum who used to take a peek at what I'm doing at least 5 times a day. To shut everything out I bought good headphones and listened to music. it does help. You forget about poeple around you.
Maybe that works for you too?
:iconkeltzar:
Keltzar Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Could you go over to a friend's house? Or stay after school?
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Digital Artist
Someone is always going to think your work sucks, always, no matter how good you get. You need to find a way to get over it or you might as well stop now.

Try to remember this next time you feel insecure. No matter how good you get at art, this guy :iconillastrat: will always think you suck.
:icongagglygoo:
gagglygoo Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Haha, I remember that guy. Complete and ignorant aasshole he was.
:iconl-echo-l:
l-Echo-l Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
find a park, lay out a blanket and buy some noise cancelling head phones (like the $16 skull candy ear buds/head phones....if listening to music helps then play something quiet and soothing) of course when it's winter this doesnt help but hey, then just go with the noise cancelling head phones...sometimes i go to a community library--those always work really well for me.
maybe these could work for you too?
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Photographer
can you go outside?
:iconmad-shrewd:
mad-shrewd Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Umm, make a couch fort? I know it's kind of childish, but if the problem is that severe it's better to start drawing something that you can finish, than to draw nothing at all.

But, really, the solution here is to deal with the cause of your insecurity rather than trying to avoid it. At some point you're going to want to show people in person what you're doing, and if you haven't dealt with the insecurity there's no way that they can accept what you're doing. Who knows, it might even be good.
:iconjovictory:
JOVictory Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Interface Designer
you should use a headset and listen to classical music, it really helps for concentration
Add a Comment: