Pre-Wisdom Teeth Surgery Jitters

In less than two weeks I get my wisdom teeth taken out all 4 and it has to be like that. I'm glad I have anistesia, but I've never had sugery (They consider it sugery)and I'm increadably nervous. Anyone have any advise. Everyday it comes closer I get more and more anxious.
Comments74
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I had mine out when I was 16- all four were severely impacted.
I had friends who were awake during their surgery and were numbed. I told the oral surgeon that I didn't want to remember a thing, and so they knocked me out completely. I would not have been able to handle watching the dentist pull out my teeth, even if it didn't hurt. I knew I'd freak out.

I remember they gave me the shot and said "you can start counting backwards from 100." I said "Okaaaay... zzzz..." and the next thing I remember is the dentist handing me a plastic bag with my teeth and telling me everything is fine. It literally felt like a second had gone by between going to sleep and waking up.

I'm sure everyone is different, but I didn't feel any pain and was starving because you aren't supposed to eat before the surgery. I went home a ate a bagel. :-D
Granted, my mouth did bleed a lot for a day or two, which was gross, but I didn't care- I was starving which I'm sure made things worse, but oh well. I kept rinsing my mouth out and after a day or two I was fine. I didn't even swell up or anything. It was a very easy procedure for me, but I also had a very good oral surgeon.
the best advice:

don't fret. I've had all four of mine taken out as well. when I woke up I asked when the anethasia was going to take effect.

needless to say all the nurse chucked about that. the annoying part was the gauze in my mouth and the taste of blood. by the second day I really didn't need any painkillers but took them anyway.

you are going to want soft foods to eat. chicken noodle soup is great so long as it is just noodles. don't try chewing until 3-4 days after surgery it will hurt a bit.
I had mine cut out a year and half ago. It wasnt bad at all. You go there, lay down, they put you to sleep and then you wake up. As long as you stay clean and do what they tell you for aftercare it shouldnt be too bad. my brother didnt follow what they said and he was in a lot of pain through a week or so, while I just had really bad pain on the first day.

Also, if you are not afraid of it, its kind of fun making blood drip from your mouth.
I can't take blood
You get gauze then and that should soak it up :D Everyone wins.
Just don't look at the gauze when you take it out. . . I didn't think I'd faint but I did :dead:
Really? I actually expected it all to be much worse...Like, my mouth was full of blood for 3 hours worse.
I really didn't bleed that much at all, I used gauze for maybe about 2-3 days but it never overflowed or anything. It was just the first time taking it out that I died a little
Really? I dont even thinking I bled a day...but he had cut them out from the sides instead of the top so maybe that helped.
I had all four done last year. In general, once you go under it's pretty much smooth sailing from there, but I would recommend having an MP3 player with your favorite music/poetry/audiobooks/etc. if you're nervous about the going under part, so you have something to focus your mind on until it's done with.
I had all four of mine taken out two years ago. It went fine and I was recovered compleatly in just a month.
I had all 4 out about 2 years ago. I was pretty nervous, too, but it was all for nothing. I was put under as well and it made it feel like no time had passed. I remember they put in the IV, asked me how I was feeling, and then I woke up and it was done. They gave me pain killers afterward, but I don't even think I used them. It was a very easy procedure with very little pain. You'll be fine! :) Take care!
I went through the same thing, and I had never even had a cavity before. It was my first surgery so they put me under.

You'll feel better if you prepare ahead of time by buying soft foods to eat, like yogurt or applesauce. Get some ice cream or popsicles to help keep the inflammation down in your mouth. ALSO: make sure you can safely take the pain medication they recommend for you. I found out that the kind they provided for me made me vomit. Stick with what you know works for you, but I actually didn't have that much pain or swelling. And take advantage or having had surgery! Getting your wisdom teeth removed is the BEST excuse for sleeping the day away, napping was my best medicine :nod:

Chances are they'll use stitches that slowly dissolve, so you won't have to return to have them removed. They don't hurt, but they get annoying when they start to come out--you'll just spit out little bits of plastic :/
I was also extremely worried when i got mine removed, and it wasn't general anesthesia - but i still fell alseep/unconscious whatever and felt nothing. What really was painful afterwards was to eat nothing but yogurt for a while, i lost like 5lbs x'D Now i've got no scars, nothing. You're gonna be fine. Your doctors know what you're doing.
what THEY'RE doing. ah ah xD but doctors know everything anyway. 'nuff said. >.>
Eek! I had my wisdom teeth out surgically too. They were VERY impacted.

My only advice would be, don't stress it too much. Yeah it will hurt a little and you'll probably be tired from all the medicine... BUT it's a legitimate reason to lay on the couch all day and watch talk shows. You'll also have your family at your beck and call to fetch you whatever food you find you can eat. The pity is great! Milk it! It won't be that bad!

Oh, and do what your doctor tells you! Keep your mouth clean!
I had mine under local anesthesia, and had them removed in two turns: first on one side, and a month or so later on the other. I was pretty damn scared of going myself as well, but it's honestly not that bad. The procedure took about ten minutes, and the surgeon was super nice. And you're completely going under, so you don't even have to deal with the actual surgery.

After having the teeth on one side removed I followed the surgeon's instructions down to the letter and everything healed as planned. The pain isn't that bad, but I did have to take a pain killer before going to sleep the first three days after the surgery, because it was still bad enough to distract you from falling asleep. But again, it's not really a big deal. I was able to go to work the next day (both times) and the swelling wasn't even that bad - though the bruising that followed after about a week was noticeable.
It hurts a bit for a couple days, but with pain mess it's not that bad. The surgery itself is fine, it's like taking a really nice nap. I woke up a bit during mine and even that wasn't that bad (you can't feel anything and fall right back asleep if that happens). Don't worry about it, just follow the post surgery instructions and have fun squirting water in the holes. :hug:
*pain killers. Damn autocorrect.
Dude, chill yourself. When I had mine out, I remember taking the gas... I made a dumb comment to the dentist that it smelled like oreos... next thing I know I'm on my couch at home, hours later. You won't notice anything.
the doctor will tell you how rough your recovery will be by the script you get for pain killers. More than a few serious pain killers, and you have a bad situation, but most people don't get that.

If if is really bad, only one jaw will hurt. Your brain can only process so much pain at once, so getting them both done at once is the way to go.
you have no say in it, so why worry? Its not like you can change it by worrying. watch 300, that always makes me feel better about a situation like that.
I got all my wisdom teeth removed at once. I got set up in the chair, they gave me the anesthesia, and next thing I know, I'm awake again without my wisdom teeth. It's no big deal, and if you're getting them removed because they caused a lot of pain, you'll feel a bit better afterwards.
I had my wisdom teeth taken out two at a time, so I've been through it twice, and it was nothing at all. First, they gave me 4 types of drugs and anesthetics: nitrous oxide, an IV drip, Novacane, and Vicodin for after the surgery. Best stuff in the world, especially that nitrous oxide.

The surgery itself was a breeze. I fell asleep and they did their operation, and then I woke up. The first day, I couldn't feel my mouth, so there wasn't much pain. When I got home, I took some of the Vicodin, put an ice pack on my jaw, and slept. Personally, there wasn't a lot of pain. For the first couple of days, you'll need to eat cool, soft foods and rinse your mount out twice a day (they may tell you to do it more often) with salt water.

After the first week or two, the pain starts to gradually go away. It starts off as a dull pain, like your jaw is bruised, and slowly goes away. After the first week or two (I think), you can start eating soft foods like eggs and soups, and from there, it's smooth sailing. For the first month, the main thing is keeping the stitches free of food. They'll probably give you a syringe that you can fill with salt water to clean them out periodically.

Don't fret about the surgery; it's the easiest part, and they give you the best drugs xD Just follow the doctor's instructions after the surgery and you'll be golden. And bring your iPod or MP3 player to the surgery; utilize that high they give you to the fullest extent xDD