Closed to new replies
December 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 73

Pre-Wisdom Teeth Surgery Jitters

:iconsedonaandlilly:
sedonaandlilly Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Student Artisan Crafter
In less than two weeks I get my wisdom teeth taken out all 4 and it has to be like that. I'm glad I have anistesia, but I've never had sugery (They consider it sugery)and I'm increadably nervous. Anyone have any advise. Everyday it comes closer I get more and more anxious.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconartlover25:
ArtLover25 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I had mine out when I was 16- all four were severely impacted.
I had friends who were awake during their surgery and were numbed. I told the oral surgeon that I didn't want to remember a thing, and so they knocked me out completely. I would not have been able to handle watching the dentist pull out my teeth, even if it didn't hurt. I knew I'd freak out.

I remember they gave me the shot and said "you can start counting backwards from 100." I said "Okaaaay... zzzz..." and the next thing I remember is the dentist handing me a plastic bag with my teeth and telling me everything is fine. It literally felt like a second had gone by between going to sleep and waking up.

I'm sure everyone is different, but I didn't feel any pain and was starving because you aren't supposed to eat before the surgery. I went home a ate a bagel. :-D
Granted, my mouth did bleed a lot for a day or two, which was gross, but I didn't care- I was starving which I'm sure made things worse, but oh well. I kept rinsing my mouth out and after a day or two I was fine. I didn't even swell up or anything. It was a very easy procedure for me, but I also had a very good oral surgeon.
:iconomicronwanderer:
OmicronWanderer Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
the best advice:

don't fret. I've had all four of mine taken out as well. when I woke up I asked when the anethasia was going to take effect.

needless to say all the nurse chucked about that. the annoying part was the gauze in my mouth and the taste of blood. by the second day I really didn't need any painkillers but took them anyway.

you are going to want soft foods to eat. chicken noodle soup is great so long as it is just noodles. don't try chewing until 3-4 days after surgery it will hurt a bit.
:iconinnocent-malice:
Innocent-malice Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I had mine cut out a year and half ago. It wasnt bad at all. You go there, lay down, they put you to sleep and then you wake up. As long as you stay clean and do what they tell you for aftercare it shouldnt be too bad. my brother didnt follow what they said and he was in a lot of pain through a week or so, while I just had really bad pain on the first day.

Also, if you are not afraid of it, its kind of fun making blood drip from your mouth.
:iconsedonaandlilly:
sedonaandlilly Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Artisan Crafter
I can't take blood
Innocent-malice Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You get gauze then and that should soak it up :D Everyone wins.
:iconnataliebee:
NatalieBee Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Just don't look at the gauze when you take it out. . . I didn't think I'd faint but I did :dead:
Innocent-malice Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Really? I actually expected it all to be much worse...Like, my mouth was full of blood for 3 hours worse.
:iconnataliebee:
NatalieBee Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I really didn't bleed that much at all, I used gauze for maybe about 2-3 days but it never overflowed or anything. It was just the first time taking it out that I died a little
Innocent-malice Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Really? I dont even thinking I bled a day...but he had cut them out from the sides instead of the top so maybe that helped.
:iconericthomasstudios:
EricThomasStudios Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional General Artist
I had all four done last year. In general, once you go under it's pretty much smooth sailing from there, but I would recommend having an MP3 player with your favorite music/poetry/audiobooks/etc. if you're nervous about the going under part, so you have something to focus your mind on until it's done with.
Add a Comment: