Might Get Fired Tomorrow

I work for a company with a very strict attendance policy. I was put on a formal warning for missing too much work per their standards. My supervisor informed my next absence would result in termination.

This past week, the Midwestern part of the USA endured a pretty bad blizzard -- Iowa in particular, which is where I live. It took me two hours to dig out my car and remove all the snow and ice from it. It took me another hour just to drive down the street, during which someone slid into me and scratched my bumper.

Because of the blizzard, I couldn't make it to work on Thursday. I called to let them know I couldn't come in.

Tomorrow is the next day I'm scheduled to work. I'm worried my supervisor is going to let me go at the end of my shift.

Does anyone have any advice? Any thoughts?

I feel totally unprepared to be jobless right now.
Comments90
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
UPDATE: No, I was not fired. Only like a dozen or so people ended up coming in that day. No one who didn't make it in was penalized.
That is good news!

It's weird to me that you have gotten slack on this thread about missing work. Being from Australia, it is a legit excuse to miss work because of sickness and no boss would or could fire you for this. I call in sick a couple of hours before work all the time (yes, it is because I get sick), the company makes do without me. It seems that America is really behind in making businesses look after their employees.

I would still look for another job. It seems like a bad one if they are willing to fire you for so little.

BTW I am sorry for your loss, it could not of been a easy thing to go through.
well, not that the weather is your fault.. I don't think they will fire you because of that, unless they are sooo strict or something else goes wrong and they blame you (even though it's not your fault, I remember my first boss who did the same to me even if it was during my internship, he had one bad day and shrieked at me for not impressing him..) but ... I don't know what to say, whatever comes, let it come, nothing you can do about it. You can try to explain to them your situation, maybe you didn't reach their standards because of numerous reasons, after all you are a human being too, and surely you must not let other things affect professional work, but sometimes it does, maybe they can be understanding and give you one more chance. Otherwise I guess you have to look for a new job. I don't think that your absence is what truly makes them doubt you, I think that other things are between, maybe you are not efficient enough or accurate or focused or something.
"The early bird gets the worm" Meaning: Success comes to those who prepare well and put in effort. My only advice I could give you is to prepare a day prior to everything. We can't foresee the weather, but there is forecasts that we can use to get prepared. Where I live the media makes a big deal about hurricanes, or thunderstorms which I consider a bit of an exageration, but on the good side it helps us get ready.
I ussually go to work an hour to 45 minuted just in case.
I got fired for the same reason. It never happened to me again. Judging that you posted this 2 days ago, you either did or didn't get laid off. But either way you shouldn't feel too bad. Learn from your mistakes! I know I did..
Wasn't fired, thank goodness.
I called in as well and right now I have the occurenece BUT it is corporate policy to put the safety of the employees first and once my department head returns from vacation our occurrences received due to weather are going to be reviewed and possible forgiven. And the entire company is under the same policy so if mine gets waived yours should to. Also, new policy has time off reviewed every 6 months instead of 12 so occurrences and tardies will drop off quicker. Should give ya some hope. Also 3 occurrences shouldnt be enough for a warning so if you do get fired fight it, we have to have 7 to rcv a verbal written and anything after that is termination. Enjoy

I wrote my first novel ^^
The arguments about how justified you being fired is seem pointless to me in this situation. It doesn't matter if every single thing was the pinnacle of bad luck or you did cut a few corners here and there - and I'm not forming an opinion on it since I don't know you - that won't change anything now because it's in the past.

The only thing you can do is go into work as normal and if it comes up, try your best to defend yourself but accept it if you're fired. Company policy isn't fair a lot of the time; there's nothing you can do but try to find a better job and hope your luck improves.
Don't worry about it.

If you get cut, get your unemployment and start work on finding a new gig.
If you're mobile, you can look far and wide. If you're stuck in one area, look for ANYTHING you can get.
It doesn't matter if you're delivering pizzas, flipping burgers, working cashier, scour the land, you'll find plenty of openings. Most will suck, but the money is the same color at the end of the week.

Good luck!
When I first read your comment, I thought it said 'Most will suck, but the money is the same colour as weed' :lol:
I would offer to get a Doctor's note from the two times you were hospitalized so that they can have them on file. It might not help, but I think it would be worth a try.

To be honest, I would have tried to go in during the blizzard. Even if you got there late, it would have been something. It at least would have shown that you REALLY valued your job. However, I also agree with what another poster said. If you truly had two medical emergencies and they fired you over missing work during a blizzard, then you can find a better job. The company I work at has a VERY lenient attendance policy, plus a two weeks paid vacation, and a weeks worth of personal time per year. Which is very nice. :nod:
"To be honest, I would have tried to go in during the blizzard."

Terrible advice. That shit gets people killed.
I guess it depends on what you're used to and how your roads are. When I lived up near Boston, I rarely stayed home because of snow. Most people didn't. Now that I live in Pennsylvania though, I usually stay in if I can because the roads are winding and have steeper inclines. Plus our plow people suck in comparison.

Still if it were my job, I'd find a way in. I'd put my car in 2nd and drive 5mph the whole damn way. :shrug:
No. It doesn't depend on where you live.

In general going out in a blizzard or just after one is not a smart move.

People in the Northeast do because we're so used to it, but that doesn't mean we're supposed to. Just because it snows a lot doesn't mean we're all better drivers because of it. It just means we're less inclined to stay in.
I tend to disagree with that assessment. Experience almost always teaches you something, and what I didn't learn for myself my parents taught me (from their experience) when I was learning to drive. I know for instance... not to slam on my breaks if I skid on the ice, not to rush even small turns, and to stick my car in 2nd so that my tires rotate more slowly for better traction. I'm also great at getting unstuck (because that has happened to be once or twice), although most people will stop and help if you need it around my parts. :nod:
If experience is such a valuable tool and people are so proactively using their experiences why is it every time a dusting of snow creates 20+ car pile ups in the midwest?

Just because you might be above the curve doesn't mean everyone else is.
Mh... I am not familiar with the mid-west climate. :P Honestly though, I think that a light dusting of snow can be worse. It only takes one idiot, who thinks that they can drive like every other day because it's only a little snow, to take down the 19 other cars in their path.

You're right though, driving in the snow isn't for everyone. That I will agree with you on! Me, I would have left 45 minutes to an hour early and mostly likely, baring an act of god, made it there fine in one piece. :nod:
In Tennessee, half an inch of snow is enough to block major roads. XD We seriously suck at driving in that weather. Up north I don't suppose you can get away with using snowy roads as an excuse as much. :P
He he! Nope you sure can't! In Pennsylvania you need at least 4-5 inches of really sloppy snow for them to close school. Up around Boston... I think the college I went to may have closed like once in 2 1/2 years. LOL. Wish we would have gotten off for every half and inch we got! :P
My senior year, we got 10 snow days. :D Most of those were really just icy roads. XD
No fair! I bet you were happy though! :boogie:
Bullshit. We're talking about Iowa here. She's not hiking throughout the North Pole. There are no bad weathers. There are only a differenting range of in/appropriate clothing for current outdoors conditions. :shrug: