Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 89

Might Get Fired Tomorrow

:iconharpercraft:
harpercraft Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I work for a company with a very strict attendance policy. I was put on a formal warning for missing too much work per their standards. My supervisor informed my next absence would result in termination.

This past week, the Midwestern part of the USA endured a pretty bad blizzard -- Iowa in particular, which is where I live. It took me two hours to dig out my car and remove all the snow and ice from it. It took me another hour just to drive down the street, during which someone slid into me and scratched my bumper.

Because of the blizzard, I couldn't make it to work on Thursday. I called to let them know I couldn't come in.

Tomorrow is the next day I'm scheduled to work. I'm worried my supervisor is going to let me go at the end of my shift.

Does anyone have any advice? Any thoughts?

I feel totally unprepared to be jobless right now.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

harpercraft Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
UPDATE: No, I was not fired. Only like a dozen or so people ended up coming in that day. No one who didn't make it in was penalized.
:icongoodbyemoon:
goodbyemoon Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
That is good news!

It's weird to me that you have gotten slack on this thread about missing work. Being from Australia, it is a legit excuse to miss work because of sickness and no boss would or could fire you for this. I call in sick a couple of hours before work all the time (yes, it is because I get sick), the company makes do without me. It seems that America is really behind in making businesses look after their employees.

I would still look for another job. It seems like a bad one if they are willing to fire you for so little.

BTW I am sorry for your loss, it could not of been a easy thing to go through.
:iconlightning-13:
lightning-13 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional General Artist
well, not that the weather is your fault.. I don't think they will fire you because of that, unless they are sooo strict or something else goes wrong and they blame you (even though it's not your fault, I remember my first boss who did the same to me even if it was during my internship, he had one bad day and shrieked at me for not impressing him..) but ... I don't know what to say, whatever comes, let it come, nothing you can do about it. You can try to explain to them your situation, maybe you didn't reach their standards because of numerous reasons, after all you are a human being too, and surely you must not let other things affect professional work, but sometimes it does, maybe they can be understanding and give you one more chance. Otherwise I guess you have to look for a new job. I don't think that your absence is what truly makes them doubt you, I think that other things are between, maybe you are not efficient enough or accurate or focused or something.
:iconrene-l:
Rene-L Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional General Artist
"The early bird gets the worm" Meaning: Success comes to those who prepare well and put in effort. My only advice I could give you is to prepare a day prior to everything. We can't foresee the weather, but there is forecasts that we can use to get prepared. Where I live the media makes a big deal about hurricanes, or thunderstorms which I consider a bit of an exageration, but on the good side it helps us get ready.
I ussually go to work an hour to 45 minuted just in case.
:iconimdsound:
IMDSound Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I got fired for the same reason. It never happened to me again. Judging that you posted this 2 days ago, you either did or didn't get laid off. But either way you shouldn't feel too bad. Learn from your mistakes! I know I did..
harpercraft Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wasn't fired, thank goodness.
:iconxxmunkzillaxx:
xXMunkZillaXx Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I called in as well and right now I have the occurenece BUT it is corporate policy to put the safety of the employees first and once my department head returns from vacation our occurrences received due to weather are going to be reviewed and possible forgiven. And the entire company is under the same policy so if mine gets waived yours should to. Also, new policy has time off reviewed every 6 months instead of 12 so occurrences and tardies will drop off quicker. Should give ya some hope. Also 3 occurrences shouldnt be enough for a warning so if you do get fired fight it, we have to have 7 to rcv a verbal written and anything after that is termination. Enjoy

I wrote my first novel ^^
:iconavenvia:
Avenvia Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Writer
The arguments about how justified you being fired is seem pointless to me in this situation. It doesn't matter if every single thing was the pinnacle of bad luck or you did cut a few corners here and there - and I'm not forming an opinion on it since I don't know you - that won't change anything now because it's in the past.

The only thing you can do is go into work as normal and if it comes up, try your best to defend yourself but accept it if you're fired. Company policy isn't fair a lot of the time; there's nothing you can do but try to find a better job and hope your luck improves.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Don't worry about it.

If you get cut, get your unemployment and start work on finding a new gig.
If you're mobile, you can look far and wide. If you're stuck in one area, look for ANYTHING you can get.
It doesn't matter if you're delivering pizzas, flipping burgers, working cashier, scour the land, you'll find plenty of openings. Most will suck, but the money is the same color at the end of the week.

Good luck!
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
When I first read your comment, I thought it said 'Most will suck, but the money is the same colour as weed' :lol:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
It just might be:P
:iconbeesull:
BeeSull Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
I would offer to get a Doctor's note from the two times you were hospitalized so that they can have them on file. It might not help, but I think it would be worth a try.

To be honest, I would have tried to go in during the blizzard. Even if you got there late, it would have been something. It at least would have shown that you REALLY valued your job. However, I also agree with what another poster said. If you truly had two medical emergencies and they fired you over missing work during a blizzard, then you can find a better job. The company I work at has a VERY lenient attendance policy, plus a two weeks paid vacation, and a weeks worth of personal time per year. Which is very nice. :nod:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
"To be honest, I would have tried to go in during the blizzard."

Terrible advice. That shit gets people killed.
I guess it depends on what you're used to and how your roads are. When I lived up near Boston, I rarely stayed home because of snow. Most people didn't. Now that I live in Pennsylvania though, I usually stay in if I can because the roads are winding and have steeper inclines. Plus our plow people suck in comparison.

Still if it were my job, I'd find a way in. I'd put my car in 2nd and drive 5mph the whole damn way. :shrug:
No. It doesn't depend on where you live.

In general going out in a blizzard or just after one is not a smart move.

People in the Northeast do because we're so used to it, but that doesn't mean we're supposed to. Just because it snows a lot doesn't mean we're all better drivers because of it. It just means we're less inclined to stay in.
BeeSull Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
I tend to disagree with that assessment. Experience almost always teaches you something, and what I didn't learn for myself my parents taught me (from their experience) when I was learning to drive. I know for instance... not to slam on my breaks if I skid on the ice, not to rush even small turns, and to stick my car in 2nd so that my tires rotate more slowly for better traction. I'm also great at getting unstuck (because that has happened to be once or twice), although most people will stop and help if you need it around my parts. :nod:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
If experience is such a valuable tool and people are so proactively using their experiences why is it every time a dusting of snow creates 20+ car pile ups in the midwest?

Just because you might be above the curve doesn't mean everyone else is.
BeeSull Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Mh... I am not familiar with the mid-west climate. :P Honestly though, I think that a light dusting of snow can be worse. It only takes one idiot, who thinks that they can drive like every other day because it's only a little snow, to take down the 19 other cars in their path.

You're right though, driving in the snow isn't for everyone. That I will agree with you on! Me, I would have left 45 minutes to an hour early and mostly likely, baring an act of god, made it there fine in one piece. :nod:
:iconceibita:
Ceibita Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
In Tennessee, half an inch of snow is enough to block major roads. XD We seriously suck at driving in that weather. Up north I don't suppose you can get away with using snowy roads as an excuse as much. :P
He he! Nope you sure can't! In Pennsylvania you need at least 4-5 inches of really sloppy snow for them to close school. Up around Boston... I think the college I went to may have closed like once in 2 1/2 years. LOL. Wish we would have gotten off for every half and inch we got! :P
My senior year, we got 10 snow days. :D Most of those were really just icy roads. XD
No fair! I bet you were happy though! :boogie:
:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Bullshit. We're talking about Iowa here. She's not hiking throughout the North Pole. There are no bad weathers. There are only a differenting range of in/appropriate clothing for current outdoors conditions. :shrug:
No. Wrong.
:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
Dude. The average temperature of Iowa is like five below c* or something. Even if it hit ten, fifteen or even twenty degrees below celcius, you need a smaller hurricane to make walking during the daytime 'unsafe' as long as you have the right attire. You need good clothes and a nice pair of boots that will stop you from wailing around like bambi on ice spots, yeah, but that's about it really.
:iconrockstarvanity:
RockstarVanity Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Photographer
I think the unfortunate truth here is that when you work somewhere that has strict attendance policies and you're aware of those policies, you need to accept that if you violate them in any way chances are you might lose your job. It's pretty horrible and no-one wants to lose their job, but if those same rules are applied to everyone who works there, then it might just be something that you can't talk your way out of.

I don't know what type or size of company you work for, but if they have such strict attendance rules I'm assuming that it really messes things up for them if people don't show up or only give a small amount of notice (a few hours notice isn't much if you're going to be missing a day of work). Because the blizzard was totally out of your control (it's not like you can suddenly make the weather good!) it might be worth explaining that it simply wasn't physically possible for you to get to work that day and that you gave as much notice as you possibly could to try and avoid causing any inconvenience. If you weren't able to get in to work that day cause of the weather, there must be some other employees in the same situation as you so perhaps that could work in your favour.

Good luck and I hope you get to keep your job :hug:
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
It sucks to get fired.

And they probably will not be forgiving of the blizzard condition. If you were not on a write up the blizzard would not have been a problem.

Learn from the experience. See if some of the people you worked with like you enough to give you a refrence letter.

And realize that it will be difficult to get your next job, attendance is big on employers lists of what they like. If they can not count on you to work your shift, you are not much use to them.
If your reasons for missing work are true (miscarrying and being hospitalized)
Has America never heard of 'sick leave' :iconwatplx:? In Australia, all fulltime employees are entitled to 10 days paid sick leave. Yet another reason I thank my lucky stars that I was born in Australia, not America.
:iconkianap:
KianaP Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Filmographer
As others have stated it's not a requirement. However I'd like to add that even if a company does give sick leave it's usually not available until you've been with them over sixth months.
Sick days and vacation time in America are not a right given by the government. Companies can deny them as much as they want.
The thing is, getting sick is not a choice. It's something that happens. Yes, people who get sick very often are burden to the company, but if someone has a reasonable amount of illness, they are not a burden, they are a human being.

While I think that paid sick leave is a bit 'above and beyond', people should entitled to at least a few days unpaid sick leave.

I think it's like toilet breaks. If someone is spending a lot of time in the toilet, they are a bad worker... but a few short toilet breaks is just being human. :shrug:
Totally agree! It's just one part of the huge health care debate here in America...
harpercraft Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Nope. Company i work for gives no sick days. There are no entitled sick days in America unfortunately. We only have a certain amount if hours we can take off at my company, and I've used all mine for the year.
:iconjonas-lightfoot:
Jonas-Lightfoot Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
All sick leave does is keep you from getting fired if you're in a medical emergency (AKA the ER, not just a walk-in clinic). Keep in mind that in my area (with one of the lowest costs of living in the country) an ER charges $400 just to walk in the door. Anything else costs extra. Insurance takes 1/2 your paycheck if you get it, and you still have to pay a deductible.

We can't afford to be sick.
:iconopalmist:
OpalMist Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Well, if it's any comfort, I don't think they'll fire you on the spot.

They'd wait until they had someone else lined up.

Unless they already do, in which case, well...

But hey...you might be okay. Maybe. Possibly. In theory.

:#1:
:iconfreakylaurent:
FreakyLaurent Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Photographer
if only u had worked there for a considerably a long time?
Possibbility to use vacation day ?

:/
:iconfairy-red-hime:
Fairy-Red-Hime Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
What everyone else has said. D: 3 absences in 6 months may not seem like a lot to you, but to your managers, it doesn't look good at all. Even if it was honest bad luck, a few hours short notice just is not good. Managers aren't gonna want to keep employees who are plagued by bad luck.
:icontinoculars:
Tinoculars Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Have you considered any other methods of transportation the day before the blizzard if you knew you couldn't cope with driving in those weather conditions? If you woke up in the morning and saw your car was covered in snow and your job depended on you being on time that day, maybe call a taxi/relative/friend/bus/subway/walk?

I bet you quite a few of your colleagues managed to get to work on time that day, I'm sure it wasn't such an impossible thing to do, but you just couldn't be dragged too much out of your comfort zone. Three times in six months is quite a lot, and if this was your fourth time then I can see why your employers began seeing a pattern in your work ethics, and I bet you there's people in that office that haven't missed work once in six months, maybe in the whole year. If those are the kind of people that high-standard company needs then you either live up to the standards or you find yourself a more flexible job.
Wow. Just wow. I don't claim to be a perfect employee, but my job performance is good, and I'm never late.

There is no subway in Iowa. Most of my work friends did not go to work either, with the exception of one who lived just two blocks down from our building. I live on the complete opposite side of town. It takes me at least twenty minutes to get to work on a good day. I don't keep cash for a taxi or bus since I do own a vehicle (I don't carry cash at all, actually). As previously stated in another post, it's my first year in the city. I made the mistake of thinking I could handle the drive, and I couldn't.

First time I missed work? Started to miscarry at my desk. Second time? Hospitalized. Third time, I was literally too sick to get out of bed let alone sit at a desk for eight hours staring at a computer screen.

Is that enough back story for everyone now?

All I wanted was just some general advise for how to handle the situation. Maybe some words of comfort or encouragement.
Tinoculars Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Well in that case maybe your employers simply don't want someone who's a magnet for bad luck and thrives on excuses all the time. Most of your work friends doesn't mean all the employees there, some of them did manage to get to work somehow. There are places where blizzards are a daily occurance for at least 3 months of the year, that doesn't mean no one works in that time.

If you'd known the weather was going to be unbearable for you the next day, you should have drawn some cash out on your way back from work the previous day in case you'd need an emergency taxi. Owning a vehicle doesn't mean you're tied to it, especially since you can't handle more extreme weather conditions. I'm not saying risk your life in your car, but find an alternative.

If in only 6 months your health has been so bad that you couldn't go to work, maybe your employers thought that you might be better off with a break to go get some tests done and see if you're even capable of holding a job from a health point of view? If you were an older employee and had been there long enough to prove that you're trustworthy and reliable, and then suddenly got ill and couldn't go to work despite all of your efforts, they might be more understanding. You've only been there half a year and already on 4 occasions you've built a reputation of having a more complicated life and health situation and finding it more difficult to deal with obstacles that come in the way of you doing your job - that's almost once every month. So are those employers going to expect that almost once every month something will interfere with your situation so badly that you won't be able to attend work?

I can see why they're revising your situation and whether it's your fault or not, there are factors that some employers look for that if you don't have, then you're not fit for the job. You can't expect them to change their work ethics or lower their standards to suit your capabilities because first of all, they need to think of their business, and secondly they need to think of their other many more employees whose living depends on their business. Like I said, it doesn't necessarily need to be your fault if you're just not suitable for a workplace, but you need to accept the expectations that the people you work with have and to also be aware of the fact that when you miss a day, someone else has to fill in for you.
:iconkillerfreya:
KillerFreya Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, having a miscarriage is such a terrible reason to miss work.
Tinoculars Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
You didn't read anything else I wrote, did you, you dumb cunt?
:iconkillerfreya:
KillerFreya Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh, so I'm a dumb cunt. fan-fucking-tastic. Quick to jump to insults, aren't we? Obviously, this won't get through to you without excessive swearing, so here goes:
"A magnet for bad luck and thrives on excuses?" You stupid fucking shitbag, you're pretty much blaming her for everything that happens to her. Get your fucking head out of your fucking cunt.
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
To be perfectly honest, it doesn't matter to your employer where you live or how long it takes you to get there. And it doesn't matter what the excuses are. They want dependable employees. They expect you to be at work on time, every day you're supposed to be there. If you're not because it's more difficult for you to get there than someone who lives closer, or serious things happen every now and you have to leave, then they don't need any other reason to fire you and find someone else. It's unfortunate for employees, but companies know full well that there are plenty of other people out there looking for jobs that might do better than you and some companies are much less tolerant of this stuff than others. You just happen to unluckily be at one of those companies.

All you can do right now is wait until your next work day and hope they don't want to talk to you about the absense. If they were going to fire you, they wouldn't wait until the end of the day. You'd be called in for a talk pretty early and they'd either offer you to continue working for the rest of your shift or you could leave right away. If that happens, you could try to argue your innocence, but stuff like "I'm new to the city and live far away" isn't going to cut it. 
It's times like these that you will learn a lot about business. All you can really do is hope for the best and plan for the worst. And by planning for the worst, that means tallying what you can and can't do if you lose this job. The first thing I would do is update my resume and start checking out possible new jobs. Secondly, I would start to try and understand the business mindset and how I could improve my own work habits to meet those expectations, which is something that will help you at any job.

And hey, if you have a job that will fire you after only 3 absences over the course of 6 months (2 of them medical emergencies), you can find a better job.
Thank you so much for being reasonable and logical. I'm nervous and have never been in the position to be fired before and I don't know what to do or expect.
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Sometimes these situations are out of your control. Policies are policies and as much as a boss might like you and want to help you, they have their own bosses breathing down their necks to do their job. They can only do so much to help. But on the bright side, sometimes these bad situations are what leads to a better outcome. There's always another better job out there and all it takes is a push to get you to find it. So even if you don't lose this job, I think it might be in your best interest to start looking for a better one anyways.
:iconlegendarysuperman:
LegendarySuperman Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My advice is to start looking for a new job :B
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
You could try to explain that the weather situation wasn't your fault and you don't think it's fair that you be penalized for it, but in all honesty, they probably won't care less. You have to take responsibility for missing the other days which inevitably landed you in this situation, especially if you knew the attendance policy when you were hired.

Also, you stated above that you gave them a few hours notice on the other days that you missed. Uh, did you find your own coverage or did you expect your manager to make all the phone calls on top of running the business? Because when someone calls out on short notice, especially in a job like retail or food service, you better believe the manager is going to be agitated no matter how ill you are feeling. :shrug:
harpercraft Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Observation: I notice a lot of people make assumptions when they reply to a thread.

I don't work in fast food or retail. I work in a cubicle farm with 80+ coworkers. 'Coverage' isn't something we do here.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Well duh, we're going to make assumptions when you're vague in your OP and don't give us any reason to help you. :bucktooth:
Add a Comment: