Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 89

Might Get Fired Tomorrow

:iconharpercraft:
harpercraft Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I work for a company with a very strict attendance policy. I was put on a formal warning for missing too much work per their standards. My supervisor informed my next absence would result in termination.

This past week, the Midwestern part of the USA endured a pretty bad blizzard -- Iowa in particular, which is where I live. It took me two hours to dig out my car and remove all the snow and ice from it. It took me another hour just to drive down the street, during which someone slid into me and scratched my bumper.

Because of the blizzard, I couldn't make it to work on Thursday. I called to let them know I couldn't come in.

Tomorrow is the next day I'm scheduled to work. I'm worried my supervisor is going to let me go at the end of my shift.

Does anyone have any advice? Any thoughts?

I feel totally unprepared to be jobless right now.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

harpercraft Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
UPDATE: No, I was not fired. Only like a dozen or so people ended up coming in that day. No one who didn't make it in was penalized.
:icongoodbyemoon:
goodbyemoon Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
That is good news!

It's weird to me that you have gotten slack on this thread about missing work. Being from Australia, it is a legit excuse to miss work because of sickness and no boss would or could fire you for this. I call in sick a couple of hours before work all the time (yes, it is because I get sick), the company makes do without me. It seems that America is really behind in making businesses look after their employees.

I would still look for another job. It seems like a bad one if they are willing to fire you for so little.

BTW I am sorry for your loss, it could not of been a easy thing to go through.
:iconlightning-13:
lightning-13 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
well, not that the weather is your fault.. I don't think they will fire you because of that, unless they are sooo strict or something else goes wrong and they blame you (even though it's not your fault, I remember my first boss who did the same to me even if it was during my internship, he had one bad day and shrieked at me for not impressing him..) but ... I don't know what to say, whatever comes, let it come, nothing you can do about it. You can try to explain to them your situation, maybe you didn't reach their standards because of numerous reasons, after all you are a human being too, and surely you must not let other things affect professional work, but sometimes it does, maybe they can be understanding and give you one more chance. Otherwise I guess you have to look for a new job. I don't think that your absence is what truly makes them doubt you, I think that other things are between, maybe you are not efficient enough or accurate or focused or something.
:iconrene-l:
Rene-L Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional General Artist
"The early bird gets the worm" Meaning: Success comes to those who prepare well and put in effort. My only advice I could give you is to prepare a day prior to everything. We can't foresee the weather, but there is forecasts that we can use to get prepared. Where I live the media makes a big deal about hurricanes, or thunderstorms which I consider a bit of an exageration, but on the good side it helps us get ready.
I ussually go to work an hour to 45 minuted just in case.
:iconimdsound:
IMDSound Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I got fired for the same reason. It never happened to me again. Judging that you posted this 2 days ago, you either did or didn't get laid off. But either way you shouldn't feel too bad. Learn from your mistakes! I know I did..
harpercraft Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wasn't fired, thank goodness.
:iconxxmunkzillaxx:
xXMunkZillaXx Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I called in as well and right now I have the occurenece BUT it is corporate policy to put the safety of the employees first and once my department head returns from vacation our occurrences received due to weather are going to be reviewed and possible forgiven. And the entire company is under the same policy so if mine gets waived yours should to. Also, new policy has time off reviewed every 6 months instead of 12 so occurrences and tardies will drop off quicker. Should give ya some hope. Also 3 occurrences shouldnt be enough for a warning so if you do get fired fight it, we have to have 7 to rcv a verbal written and anything after that is termination. Enjoy

I wrote my first novel ^^
:iconavenvia:
Avenvia Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Writer
The arguments about how justified you being fired is seem pointless to me in this situation. It doesn't matter if every single thing was the pinnacle of bad luck or you did cut a few corners here and there - and I'm not forming an opinion on it since I don't know you - that won't change anything now because it's in the past.

The only thing you can do is go into work as normal and if it comes up, try your best to defend yourself but accept it if you're fired. Company policy isn't fair a lot of the time; there's nothing you can do but try to find a better job and hope your luck improves.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Don't worry about it.

If you get cut, get your unemployment and start work on finding a new gig.
If you're mobile, you can look far and wide. If you're stuck in one area, look for ANYTHING you can get.
It doesn't matter if you're delivering pizzas, flipping burgers, working cashier, scour the land, you'll find plenty of openings. Most will suck, but the money is the same color at the end of the week.

Good luck!
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
When I first read your comment, I thought it said 'Most will suck, but the money is the same colour as weed' :lol:
Add a Comment: