anime drawings..

A question I asked continuously recently , I don't know what happened to me , a conversation between me and my brother appeared when i showed him my drawings , it was a future of my life job , but let's go to the major problems .
I showed my bro one of my drawings , he said that ( true stuff ) hands look a bit off , hands are in the back , why you draw ALWAYS girl? and i hate the face style and the most shock part ( HOW CAN YOU WASTED 2 YEARS AND YOU DONE NOTHING!? ) well i have another account here but i left it
this is [link]
Ok 1st I was really mad of that but i said to myself , this is what i like to do drawing anime ok? , and i like the anime style tbh ok , but people tend to not like it ok np i know that everyone has his/her own style that they like , but.. when he said ( 2 years no improvement ) god it's like he stabbed with a knife CUZ IT'S A LIE
ok i improved in certain stuff maby a lil bit in hands and anatomy + movement + coloring
tbh i really wanted to do something that make people say AMAZING instead of CUTE but i think that because i only draw cute girls :P , I can't help it damnit! , because i got used to that style and i will try to improve it as much as possible

what do you think guys?
did i improved?
do you think i should believe in myself and my anime style art continue in improving it?
give an advices please
AND BE HONEST!
thanks
Comments38
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Of course you've improved!
Dude, I think you're great, and that if you love what you do, keep doing it.

If you really wanna make people go :iconwoahplz:, I'm sure it's possible to find classes on how to draw manga ("anime means animation"). There are even special books with tips, instruction, etc etc.
So if you wanna make some bigger improvements your drawings, I would suggest you some of these things. What really matter most though, is that you love what you do.
Actually, the 'practice realism' is a great suggestion.
Great anime artists are almost always capable of drawing realistically. And there is a reason for this.

Anime/manga is characterized by the highly stylized portrayal of characteristics. In order to play around with body traits, you need to have a good grounding in what you are deviating from. That way, you can change things and not seem... off.

Basic body proportions are a good place to start. For example, when standing upright, a person's hand will end around mid thigh. If you make the arms too long or short, you can end up creating something that looks like a gorilla or a Trex.

Except for cases like chibi, anime/manga artists usually at least stay close to certain body proportions.
---
Also, yes, you have improved.
I would suggest trying to become proficient in many different styles. Flexibility is a very good thing to have as an artist.

plus people like variety in galleries even if they don't admit it.

I would also suggest working on drawing males as well even if you have to start with placing them in scenes with other characters of yours.
I would suggest trying to become proficient in many different styles. Flexibility is a very good thing to have as an artist.

plus people like variety in galleries even if they don't admit it.

I would also suggest working on drawing males as well even if you have to start with placing them in scenes with other characters of yours.
You're an artist. Which means it takes time to come up with a wonderful masterpiece, that's the art of being an artist, to inspire. You're still experimenting, which is a good thing than rather taking fast decisions. Explore each corner of art, do what you love to do most! I personally know an artist on dA which I strongly can compare to you. Always getting asked why he drew girls or anime and the off proportions of the body anatomy etc and many more negative critique's. Until now he is far from skilled, talented! Letting people know "anime can be art too!". What I can advise you is,

Prove people they're wrong about you.

Be strong in what you believe, then you'll go far. If you show that attitude in your work to people, they'll be blown away. The down thing of being an artist is that we don't get accepted instantly. We're strange and live in a completely different world. But what makes their world better than ours? show it to them.
true
i actually liked when i can express my feelings in the piece
sadly i only draw girls i have no clue about men anatomy rofl but i will try my best
There is so much to learn and there is so much time. I know you'll do your best : )
Ok, I see so many of these questions. For me, i have a mixed answer, mostly from experience. And please, read th whole thing, it may not seem ehat you want to hear at first, but hear me out.

1. I used to draw anime all the time. I wanted to draw anime for my job, and frankly you are way better at anime skills than m

2. When I got into college, I wanted a Two year degree (associates), and in all of my art nd animation classes, i was not allowed to draw anime, except maybe once or twice ( in all of my two years). I found this extremely irritating. Damn it i wanted to draw anime. I also had to take a figure drawing class , drawing realistic people. I was dreadful at first, but i learned a lot about anatomy. Now, i know anime is stylized, but guess what? Every single artist at my school (now my second degree at Ringling College of Art and Design), is required, no matter the major, to take figure drawing. Learning how to draw realistically now can help you by miles later.

3. More than likely, 99% chance you will not be dtawing anime as you first job. I am training to be a general illustratot, drawing in many different styles. I have been forced by schools and classes to draw so many things other than anime, and I am so glad they did. Now i found I love environments and concept arts much more. But i would never have know that if i had never tried what my teachers told me to do.

4. If you plan to draw only anime, you are shooting yourself in the foot period becaise guesss what? A lot of art schools will turn you away if they see too much of it in your portfolio. They WANT variety, not only on style but subject. Figures, animals, fantasy, environments, still life. Also, the more varied you are in your talents, the more sellable your talents are, and the more opportunities you will have.

I am on my 4th year of college (but now a sophomore at my new school since i transferted after getting a new degree). My teachers work in the animation and art industry, and only anime people are a dime a dozen they say. Trust me, learning more things will be so beneficial to you, even if it seems boring to draw other things you do not like. I am proof of that.

I hope you can understand my point. You can continue to draw anime yes, but I encourage you to start trying other styles andsbjects And do not get upset if it does not work out right the first time. Look at it and see what worked and didnt. Take notes, make observation. The more effort you put in, the better you can be.
yea i know that it won't be good for a job ofc
i just say that i wan't to be good at it to make people satisfy with it and more importantly me myself
but i will just keep my head up and practice
thanks for taking the time to help me
You have improved! Do what you love and love what you do!
AoiKen,

1. Yes you have improved. By far. (also as a side note, You draw way better than I am able to, and you are half my age. [not that that says much, since I'm quite the amatuer])

2. You have great technique, I love what you are doing with fabrics especially.

3. You do have anatomy issues. However, that is only natural; a person would have to be a genius to be perfect at anatomy without some serious methodalogical practice.

Seeing as you seem dead-set on being an artist, I will just say this: continue working, practicing and learning. You are 15 years old. In the sense of age, you have time. Keep polishing your skills and learning. At some point, yes, learn anatomy. Hey, maybe sooner than later.

You're doing great. keep it up.

:D
:D
thanks that made me happy
in my next draw i learned to make a better anatomy hope you will look after it :D
btw skills ain't have to be with ages it's what the person potential and his encourage to be what he want
which is my dream i fight for .
Not trying to be harsh but, the first thing I thought when looking in your galery was that a lot of drawings look the same, especially your last few submissions because of the angle of their head but also because of something else, not sure what.
Meh it's ok cuz i know this is true
but i try to change it oh em gee its the same
i will study head perspective cuz i really need it!
Don't worry xD
I tend to have the same problem too but it helps when you're aware of it
You improved.. But yeah, anime drawings are nice! I draw anime myself, BUT I also draw other stuf (maybe I don't upload them all) But I can draw animals and scenery too! you know, what is an anime character without a proper background? Without a cute animal? etc, you know, I try to draw everything, trees, flowers dogs etc. So you have a big base! :) Not only the anime character!
Man, you know I'm always rooting for you. You're doing great, and I think you should keep going as you are right now. If you are pleased with what you do, that's what counts.
Usually, I disagree about the "you need to draw realism thing" except if you want a job in illustration or such. You definitely improved, and I think you should be allowed to do anime, but if you want to work you need to be well rounded. Also, exactly what kind of job? You cant just make enough to live by sitting down drawing what you please. And keep in mind, there are plenty of artistic careers in which you dont need to be great at drawing to do.

On the other hand, you did improve a lot. and if this was to be a hobby you would be on the right track.
You need to learn to take criticism. If you can't, then don't show your stuff to anyone. I'm not going to give you a critique because I'm pretty sure you'll bawwww about it.

Well, do you want a job, or are you drawing for you?

If you want a job then, yeah, you need to break out of this style. You have to be able to do something marketable.

If you're just drawing for you, then who cares what anybody else says. Just do what makes you happy.
I think...you lose hope too easily. You seem likely to give up on the smallest things. I am not impressed by people who doubt themselves simply because of something others said.

Are you serious about your art? About improving?
So why are you asking if we think you should believe in yourself? That's the dumbest question I've ever heard. SINCE WHEN should you NOT believe in yourself?

Here's what I think. You have a good start, but a long way ahead of you. I'm not one to talk, but learn anatomy. Learn to draw realism well, and once you have that, when you draw anime style, it will be amazing.
But most important, practice, practice, practice. Hard work is what gets you to places. If you can't draw something well, draw it a million times, because each time you draw it, you learn something new that you've done wrong and can fix.

Also, draw from the inside out. Both anatomy-wise and content-wise. Art that I really admire is art that has a story behind it, something that shows a little bit of the artist's soul. Yes, I know that sounds cheesy. No, I don't care. Cheese is good.
of course u improve-.-

in both drawing and coloring
It's not what you draw, it's how good you are at it.

And you're shit.