Girlfriend leaving me if I ever got an STD?

So my girlfriend and I were having a normal conversation. And the topic of STD's came up.
And I asked her if I ever got an STD from a needle or a bad blood transfusion, would she stay. And she said that she probably won't. I mean, what the hell? I've put my heart and soul into loving her and she would just abandon me like that? I always put her ahead of myself, but the thought of her leaving me because of my inability to ever have unprotected sex would be over with. Does she even love me? I've never felt this way about a girl before. And this is the most serious relationship I've ever had. I can't think of having any other girl in my life. The thought of her actually not loving me is just a hard pill to swallow.

so the bottom line is,
if your partner got an STD from any other way besides sex, what would you do?
Comments52
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Really, come on. Like if nowadays you could get STDs in hospitals. If you get one either you had sex and are a stupid liar (I swear, I got it in the public toilet) or you're just some dumb junkie.

Also, there are a lot of STDs. So if there is the slightly tiny chance you got it from some accident, was she talking about HIV? Because if she was then she has a pretty valid point. If she was talking in STDs in general I'd reconsider being with her.
If your girlfriend is saying she would leave you if you ever got an STD, from something other than sex, it means she doesn't think your relationship is forever. If she thought she'd be spending the rest of her life with you, it wouldn't matter.
This reminds me of the "wheel chair" question. Sadly, many people bail on injured or sick partners.
I'd stay with them. She's a whore, OP, you should break up with her. She just wants an excuse to fuck someone else.
I don't think she's concerned as much about any health issues as she is about where you actually got that STD from. Unless you're getting a blood transfusion from a hobo in a van, I think you're pretty safe from that. To me (and probably to her too) it sounds a bit like you're creating a very specific hypothetical situation with very low chances of happening just to see if your back-up excuse would work in case you actually got an STD from a valid source (aka a hooker).

Even if a girl is willing to stay with you no matter what you do, if you present her with a hypothetical situation in which you're making a fool of her, she's still going to stick to her pride and say, at that moment, that she's not going to have it. She's not going to create this image of her as a spineless rag that if you cheat on, she's just going to let it go cause she loves you so much.
The thought of facing death for someone you're not married to is a pretty hard pill to swallow, too. How selfish are you for even asking her to do such a thing?

By the way, your age and hers are both entirely relevant to this conversation.
First of all, it would be highly unlikely that you got an STD in that way, so even if you did, shes assume you got it from some diseased hootch working the corner, and that thought's going to be in her head.

Also, it completely her right to feel that way, she was honest with you, you rather she lied to make you feel better? I really don't think you should be questioning your relationship from that answer. That's a hard thing. Besides that in the end, you're getting worked up about a theoretical scenario that most likely isn't going to happen to you.

Remember that you're external doubts like this, or really more reflections of your own inner doubt. You're questioning whether she loves you based on a hypothetical question, and an extreme one at that. I think you're way of looking at her answer is very black and white, and honestly quite selfish. You're saying that you always put her first, which first of all sounds like your putting her on a pedestal, which you shouldn't; yet, in you're hypothetical situation, you aren't doing that, you're selfishly expecting her to stay with you and risk also getting the same disease. If you were really honest about putting her first you'd understand and not want to risk giving it to her.
1) you actually don't know what you would do in that situation until you are in it.

2) She has the right to protect herself. Really everyone should. And just because you would stay with her if it happened to her, does not mean she should stay with you.

Finally, I have been married for 20 years, and would not leave my husband. If we had been together one year, I would. These things are situational.
You are 100% correct.
We kissed and made up.
I realized how wrong I truly was.
That early in a relationship it's understandable. It's pretty freakin' rare to get an STD in a blood transfusion and even rarer that it would be something life threatening.

And stop shooting heroin or otherwise poking yourself with strange needles.
I prefer condoms anyways, but to depending on your country, the slimmer it gets these days with blood transfusion with having bad blood which is infected. there is sti, where you can get infected socially, HIV, Hepatitis and anything can be transmitted without even having sexual intercourse. but if that's how your gf thinks then that's her choice and if she does leave you over this, then that reflects on her and truly does show her true soul/nature.
How long have you been dating her? If it's not too long (2 years or less IMO), then that may be more or less expected depending on how far in your relationship you are. But people also like to avoid getting permanent, life-changing illness as well, so you're fighting a war with human nature there as well.
Almost a year. Maybe it's a little bit too early for me to be talking about this. :P
If you got it "from a needle", it sounds like you'd be a druggie. I'd leave your diseased self too.
I'd stay if it was from a blood transfusion, but seriously... That happens so rarely.

Usually a sudden std in a previously std-free relationship signifies cheating.
It's possible to get it from tattoo needles if you go to an "artist" who does not use a new needle for each customer.
NEVER get a tattoo from anyone who doesn't use a new needle for each customer! Any decent tattoo artist or piercer will be perfectly happy to take the new needle out of the packet in front of you. In fact, some insist on doing that.
...That's why artist was in quotation marks...
I know, I just replied with a bit of extra info :aww:
Ah. Ok, then that's cool.
Thanks to OSHA, your chances of getting an STD from a needle or a blood transfusion, unless you are a recreational intravenous drug user, are slim to none. So your relationship is probably safe. Unless you use heroin or sleep around.

Also -beware of hypothetical questions in general when talking to women. It never ends well.
Every homie for themselves! Remember, what people say they will do might not be exactly it when it happens.
First, it was silly that you brought that kind of subject in a conversation.

Second, she was silly --for being too honest- that she would leave you if something ever happened -- she shouldn't be saying that even she would leave you.
But seriously why would she stay w/ you and spend her lifetime with a guy with a STD, risking her health and life when she's not even married with you & not responsible for that? Seems like you're selfish.

It is understandable that you think that way, however, her thought is also understandable to me.
You are 100% correct. I shouldn't expect her to do that for me. I guess that the fact that I would do that for her is enough to think that she would do that for me. And yeah, I expected her to just sugarcoat it a little bit, you know? Humor me a little bit. Tell me what I want to hear, even though I know she's lying.