Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 28

Art School Vs. Neurobiology

:iconcactuslegs:
CactusLegs Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
All my life I have been a science junkie. From about grade 3 on I have been a science wizard (not to toot my own horn) but I just get science. All my life I have also struggled with depression and anxiety as well as an eating disorder (bulimia) since age 10. This sparked my interest in the biology of the brain, especially in abnormal cases. I've taken many science classes and excelled in them, but always struggled with my mental health. The only thing that has gotten me through is artwork. I love 2d media- acrylics, photography- macro and landscape, and lampwork glass. My passion has become the only thing I can do, as my depression has gotten worse. The best part is, Art is a challenge for me and I love it.
So, I'm thinking of switching my life long dream of being a Neuro-science professor, and going to art school. I would love to be a professor of art one day. The idea of teaching others + experimenting with your own studies as part of your job is delightful. I know I want to be a professor, but the question is- a professor of what? Art or Neurobiology?
What are your thoughts?
and how would I go about switching schools? I would like to attend The Kansas City Art Institute.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkuhwin:
KUHwin Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student
Have you ever heard of Portfolio days? They happen around the country at different art schools and art museums. You should gather a portfolio together and show it to the potential art schools you're interested in. Hearing what they have to say about your art and what they would offer you in their programs may be a good way for you to decide if it's right for you or not. (:

Also, keep in mind income. Art isn't going to promise you a wealthy life and art is something you could always pick up at any time. Some people don't even need to go to art school to make a career of it. Really weigh your options!

I weighed option of deciding to go to art school vs a normal college a few years ago and decided to go to art school. I'm in such a comfortable environment and know it was absolutely the right choice for me. You could always take a summer class at an art school to see if you like the feel of it. I've found that art school is very different than your normal college, but to me, that's comforting.
:iconcherylblanche:
CherylBlanche Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
As others have said, neurobiology seems like a better job. It seems like a difficult field so if you're even naturally gifted for it all the more reason to rely on it rather than art for income.
Art is fickle in that sense, and it can be practiced and doesn't require classes to learn. You could also offer commissions if you'd like to sell your art online.
Being forced to do certain art can also ruin the fun of it, when it comes to studying it.
:icondjdanilly:
djdanilly Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional General Artist
I am a counselor, I would love to help with your problems if you'd like. Contact me Thanks
:icondancingintwilight:
DancingInTwilight Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student General Artist
illustrate maybe?
:iconmayjackson:
MayJackson Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Go with science. It's easier to get a job and get an income - you can ALWAYS pursue art later. You can't always go back and get a science degree later. (Or rather, you always *can* but it's about 50x harder than doing the same with art school). Life is weird like that! Good luck :)
:iconysliao:
YSLiao Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
If you go for neurobiology first, you can then take an art degree and either teach both, or do/teach medical or scientific illustration. Science illustration can be 2D or 3D or animated so lots of choices :) If you are, I think there's a very good group to join for scientific illustrators but I'll need to find that group again. Just my two cents...
:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
There is no saying that you cannot do both. You're still in school - that means that, hopefully, you'll have at least forty more years left of your career, which if you work hard is plenty of time. I would say Neuro since it is a lot more difficult to get into that path than it is to join art classes - not saying it is easy to become a professor of art, but if I took a quick guess I would say it is a lot more difficult to become a professor in neurobiology.

And hey, if you DO become a professor of neurobiology and then take the art classes, you will have better understanding than most neuros about the way art affect the brain. I'd say that is stuff that needs a lot more mapping out.

Whatever you choose, though, make sure to go for it.
:icongoatqueen:
GoatQueen Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Art school can't really do crap for you. If you're going to be an artist you have to have a good market/demand for the work you do. For example my friend is a wonderful artist so she's using that to get into advertising as a career because she is artistic and creative. That way she has found a good demand for her skills. Go for Neuobiology and try to minor in art.
CactusLegs Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
see, you guys are all saying neurobiology, but the more I think, I think art school.
:iconiratheiv:
IRAtheIV Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012   Traditional Artist
definitely neurobiology...too many people go to art schools
:iconnephtis:
Nephtis Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Go for neurobiology.

It sounds like you use art as a way to help you balance you, it's an outlet, something you enjoy and taht helps you when thinsg get tough.

If you aim for it to become a job it's something you will have to do. To pay for your living. That means it's not a free thing anymore and creativity might suffer from it if you haev to work on given projects, produce a certain result be y dead line and all that.

Since you enjoy Neurobiology, too, I'd say stick with that and keep art as your hobby!
Thanks!
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Well, you need to do what makes you happy. They both require you to be really into your work, and you don't want to do it if you don't enjoy it.

The majority of professional artists I know (as in the ones that make most if not all their income on art) may have taken some art classes, but have a degree in something else.

Neurobiology would probably be able to give you a better regular paycheck. You can always potentially work in a lab or something. And you definitely need to be trained if you want to teach that.

Art school is often going to be a waste of money. If you have ambition and can teach yourself, all you really get is possible networking- which may or may not happen. Art is also judged on an individual basis- all you need to do art for a company is to have a portfolio, a degree doesn't matter period.

If you want to teach college level courses, you'll need to get a degree for teaching art. But if you want to do anything lower than that, you can probably get away with just a degree in education.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student General Artist
The only thing for art school is to really know your school. Art schools are just known to be expensive, so, make the most by knowing people who actually go there.

I find alot of mix reviews. Theres the crowd saying its cheaper to go to DVC and your learning that way. Yet Ive got my cousin, a BASA Student, a DA article about people who go to art schools, says that it can be fun, hard work, and an experience. Pass the money, you can experience art school well, and make good work out of the school.

Just look at the journals. I don't know who is more right? Fox orian hated school and he got no jobs. And yet this person says paying 40k is worth the school:
[link]

[link]

And even if you don't attend, some schools could let you take some classes online.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I minored in visual art while doing a neurobio major ;p the real consideration is what kind of career you want. If you're thinking university-level teaching, you need an advanced degree (PhD for bio, I'm guessing MFA for art), so make sure you're prepared to apply.
wow! and yes, university level. I am very ready for that commitment.
:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Filmographer
Is there any way you can get an Art Minor at your current university? Even for art as a hobby, it could at least get you more involved with the art community at your university (if you have one). Plus, being a neuroscientist with that artsy side is probably gonna benefit you more than people who just stick with the math and science and nothing else. :)

Personally, I'm not a Music Major (I'm Art), but I love to be involved in different kinds of ensembles at my university. Because of the way my schedule is, it'd be hard to schedule the classes required to minor (and I'd have to leave my current flute instructor, who I prefer over the university's). But because I'm in 2-3 ensembles per semester, I get to be involved with the music people and some of my best friends are involved with the ensembles too!
thanks !!!
Thank you guys! You've given me a lot to think about. Everyone on this website is so helpful and wonderful and everyone on tumblr just yells at me.
:iconjas7229:
jas7229 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you think you like both, I would stick with Neurobiology.
Just simply from the fact that its probably easier to go the neurobiology route and still self-teach/enjoy art, but its probably a lot harder to go with art and find neurobiology somewhere along the way too.

Also, it's great that you know you want to be a professor! But you probably wouldn't come out graduating right to being one. And from a practical standpoint, whatever job you get between graduation and becoming a professor would likely be easier to find in science than in art. I've heard some people say that doing art for a living isn't at all as fun as doing it for yourself...which is likely to be true to some degree for any subject, but it would be terrible to invest everything into one passion and then find out its not what you thought it was!

That said, if you're really passionate about art and find you just can't stand neurobiology anymore, it could make sense to switch. Or stay at the same school and double major? ;P
good advice! Thanks!
:iconcalstor:
Calstor Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You have to consider which you enjoy doing more and let that factor into which subject you study. As for switching, I recommend contacting the Institute and asking about their admissions for transfer students policies.
Thank you! I wish I could do both.. or can I?
:iconcalstor:
Calstor Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You could go for a double major degree. It would be difficult, and you probably would have to pick a different college to do it at. Unless that Institute offers courses in neurobiology too.
:icongogo-t-w:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   Traditional Artist
You can always do art as a hobby or something to keep yourself stable or what you need, neurobiology might be tougher to do on the side.
thanks!
:icongogo-t-w:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   Traditional Artist
No problem. I think if you went into biology, you could probably make some amazing art from that actually.
very true
Add a Comment: