Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 28

Art School Vs. Neurobiology

:iconcactuslegs:
CactusLegs Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
All my life I have been a science junkie. From about grade 3 on I have been a science wizard (not to toot my own horn) but I just get science. All my life I have also struggled with depression and anxiety as well as an eating disorder (bulimia) since age 10. This sparked my interest in the biology of the brain, especially in abnormal cases. I've taken many science classes and excelled in them, but always struggled with my mental health. The only thing that has gotten me through is artwork. I love 2d media- acrylics, photography- macro and landscape, and lampwork glass. My passion has become the only thing I can do, as my depression has gotten worse. The best part is, Art is a challenge for me and I love it.
So, I'm thinking of switching my life long dream of being a Neuro-science professor, and going to art school. I would love to be a professor of art one day. The idea of teaching others + experimenting with your own studies as part of your job is delightful. I know I want to be a professor, but the question is- a professor of what? Art or Neurobiology?
What are your thoughts?
and how would I go about switching schools? I would like to attend The Kansas City Art Institute.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkuhwin:
KUHwin Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student
Have you ever heard of Portfolio days? They happen around the country at different art schools and art museums. You should gather a portfolio together and show it to the potential art schools you're interested in. Hearing what they have to say about your art and what they would offer you in their programs may be a good way for you to decide if it's right for you or not. (:

Also, keep in mind income. Art isn't going to promise you a wealthy life and art is something you could always pick up at any time. Some people don't even need to go to art school to make a career of it. Really weigh your options!

I weighed option of deciding to go to art school vs a normal college a few years ago and decided to go to art school. I'm in such a comfortable environment and know it was absolutely the right choice for me. You could always take a summer class at an art school to see if you like the feel of it. I've found that art school is very different than your normal college, but to me, that's comforting.
:iconcherylblanche:
CherylBlanche Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
As others have said, neurobiology seems like a better job. It seems like a difficult field so if you're even naturally gifted for it all the more reason to rely on it rather than art for income.
Art is fickle in that sense, and it can be practiced and doesn't require classes to learn. You could also offer commissions if you'd like to sell your art online.
Being forced to do certain art can also ruin the fun of it, when it comes to studying it.
:icondjdanilly:
djdanilly Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional General Artist
I am a counselor, I would love to help with your problems if you'd like. Contact me Thanks
:icondancingintwilight:
DancingInTwilight Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student General Artist
illustrate maybe?
:iconmayjackson:
MayJackson Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Go with science. It's easier to get a job and get an income - you can ALWAYS pursue art later. You can't always go back and get a science degree later. (Or rather, you always *can* but it's about 50x harder than doing the same with art school). Life is weird like that! Good luck :)
:iconysliao:
YSLiao Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
If you go for neurobiology first, you can then take an art degree and either teach both, or do/teach medical or scientific illustration. Science illustration can be 2D or 3D or animated so lots of choices :) If you are, I think there's a very good group to join for scientific illustrators but I'll need to find that group again. Just my two cents...
:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
There is no saying that you cannot do both. You're still in school - that means that, hopefully, you'll have at least forty more years left of your career, which if you work hard is plenty of time. I would say Neuro since it is a lot more difficult to get into that path than it is to join art classes - not saying it is easy to become a professor of art, but if I took a quick guess I would say it is a lot more difficult to become a professor in neurobiology.

And hey, if you DO become a professor of neurobiology and then take the art classes, you will have better understanding than most neuros about the way art affect the brain. I'd say that is stuff that needs a lot more mapping out.

Whatever you choose, though, make sure to go for it.
:icongraveyardbat:
GraveyardBat Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Art school can't really do crap for you. If you're going to be an artist you have to have a good market/demand for the work you do. For example my friend is a wonderful artist so she's using that to get into advertising as a career because she is artistic and creative. That way she has found a good demand for her skills. Go for Neuobiology and try to minor in art.
:iconcactuslegs:
CactusLegs Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
see, you guys are all saying neurobiology, but the more I think, I think art school.
:iconiratheiv:
IRAtheIV Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012   Traditional Artist
definitely neurobiology...too many people go to art schools
Add a Comment: