Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

greatly misunderstood

:iconplasticfortunecookie:
PlasticFortuneCookie Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Due to my shy tendencies, I tend to be mistaken as a stuck up individual who won't talk to anyone because I am too good for them. That assumption is extremely far from the truth.
Recently I've actually become more outgoing, but the problem that remains is the first impression that I give. I literally have no idea how to not give an awkward conversation-starter, so I usually rely on my silly antics to start a conversation

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Go out to people, be talkative, it doesn't really matter what you say when you say it, people talk bullshit all the time, so that's encouraging XD
:iconjaegerofice:
Jaegerofice Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
I usually rely on the unifying power of alcohol, well it works for us Finns at least. If that is not an option, jokes or a everyday greeting do well.

I'm not an social butterfly myself either, but I change my subject depending on where I am, a first time meeting a local hobby group and I'll ask a bit about how the group funktions and discuss about the hobby. If in a bar alone, I've noticed this to work, "Hey, mind if I join you? Since drinking alone gets a bit dull after a while.".

And the reason why you may ave seemed so stuck up, may not have been solely because you didn't say anything, maybe something in you made them feel like it. People think that I am ~10 years older than I actually am because of how I look and act.
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Be more metacommunicative, make eye contact like this girl: [link]
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist
Have people told you they think your shyness makes you look stuck up or are you assuming it does?

"Hi" usually works for me when starting a conversation. A comment about what's going on around us is another way. It can be nerve wracking but worth it :nod:
I've actually been told by at least 5 of my close friends that the reason we weren't friends earlier was due to the fact that I seemed extremely upright and hated them because I didn't say anything... Ever. With strangers, I tend to lose the usual warmth I shower over my friends.
:) Thank you for the advice!!!
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist
Getting out of your shell is hard but definitely worth the effort. All the good things in life live outside of our comfort zones :D

I've moved a few times the past 5 years so it forced me to open up to strangers more. Definitely happier than if I wouldn't have...

Good luck!
:iconspookyink:
SpookyInk Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   Traditional Artist
I use humor whenever I talk to someone. Even if I've known them for years.

The best thing to do is to continue joking around with people and eventually they'll go "I got the wrong impression of you."
:) Ditto! (I love being a clown)

Thank you for the advice, it's much appreciated!
Add a Comment: