Details

Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18
:iconfurbinatorz:
FurbinatorZ Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm graduating soon, and personally I just want to get out of this house.
I'm currently in BC Canada... so, what I'm asking is - are they any people out there who have been to colleges or university in BC for English, or to get an arts degree? What was your experience like? Was it worth it in the end? Are you currently attending - if so what's it like?
I'm so stressed out right now.
AI in Vancouver is nice, but super expensive... is it worth forking out all that cash for a little more knowledge on a subject like photography?
I don't know what to do other than expand my knowledge of my interests.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondjdanilly:
djdanilly Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional General Artist
Personally, some art courses you really don't need school. I've learned alot of new art forms through reading and youtube. You can get cheaper books. I would go to college if you persueing a teaching career, or a specific job. I'm still learning new art forms. There are many inexpensive online schools, or courses you can try. Note me if you want to talk.
FurbinatorZ Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I was thinking of that too... I'm thinking of going to university for creative writing so I can expand more on that subject because I love writing fiction while doing photography on the side. I just want to go out and experience another perspective of school and expand my interests :)
It's still a stressful decision though, considering expense, living - and everything else. I'll note you on questions for sure when I think of something :) Thank you
:iconkuhwin:
KUHwin Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student
AI's are really just in it for the money. :/ If you're interested in going to art school, try looking into some other ones! I don't live in Canada, but I was in a similar situation to you. I decided to go to school out of state and attend an art school. I couldn't be happier. (:
That's cool! What are you currently doing? Did your school help you find clients to work for and such or are you just currently selling your art? Sorry - just curious! Thanks :)
I'm working to be an illustration major! (: My school does help students sell art by having shows as well as later on in my schooling I'll be able to do internships and such.

No problem! If you want to know anything about my art school experience let me know!
:D I'd love to know as much as you feel like telling me! I'd love a note, or you could post your reply here so others with same interests can see it too. Thank you for your time, even a short respond would be awesome too. :)
hahaha! It doesn't matter to me, here or in a note. (: It's no problem!

What specifically do you want to know about it? Any questions you have in mind?
FurbinatorZ Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
When first joined did you feel like there was a lot of "competition" or did you ever doubt yourself?
Did you ever just want to throw your hands up? If so - how did you over come it?
Did you get develop a close connection with your classmates because of similar interests? Or just 'cause?
How are you exposing your artwork to people seeking to buy art?

I won't overload you with questions but these are the ones I can only think of :la:
KUHwin Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student
Absolutely! Looking at my peers, I'm doubting myself a lot. There were times when I wonder if I was good enough. That's normal of any artist at some point to doubt themself. What you need to due is use that insecurity to motivated yourself to draw more and push yourself with your artistic ideas. When you get to that point, just remember that's why you're going to school, to grow as an artist.
Oh my gosh, yes. The very first day of art school I developed my friend group, which in already a year and a half have turned into some of the best friends I've ever had. I was able to find a connection with almost everyone just because It's just easier to carry a conversation with someone who holds your same interests. And I find art school is a more open minded environment.
My schools holds numerous art shows that expose your art to others as well as the opportunity to meet other artists and form networks. (:
FurbinatorZ Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
That's so cool :) Thanks for answering my questions I'm sure they'll be of use to some curious people as well.
Can't wait to start school that's based on my interests :la:
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: