Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 44

My parents don't support me..

:iconmarialamsa:
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been drawing since I was a little kid and my parents have always been proud of me (actually, my whole family have). I was depressed some years ago and I didn't draw anything at all at that moment so I lost a lot of my skills.. :(
Earlier this year I got inspiration and started to draw again, which I continued with almost every day since then and I've improved A LOT! This makes me happy and I need this for my psychical health.. But I always get a little sad when I show my work to my parents (I know, I sound like a kid.. But I really want them to be proud of me.. :() because they don't care.. They don't care anymore since I've started to draw digitally and not traditional anymore.. :/ My mom often tells me that Digital art is the same as cheating and that You don't have to do something.. Ofc I know that's wrong, but it hurts me.. :(

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My parents never liked any of my art.
I ended up ignoring their opinion and finding some friends that did appreciate me.
:iconda1withdalongestname:
Seems like they just don't like you drawing digitally, if you want to get their approval, then draw something that traditional arts can't. I can't help you much, my lines always end up squiggling whenever I draw digitally.
:iconcreative-caro:
Creative-Caro Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
oh I think I can understand you.. I do a lot kinds of art and it is a really big part of my life but my parents aren't interested too.
They are mostly angry because they think I should help them more with the holshold instead of painting or anything, that's really sad :( Even my mother thinks that the computer do everything if yo work digital, but I can only say that you shoulnīt care about that! There are two things you can do (I think)
1. You can try to speack with your parents about this problem. Try to say that this hobby is a part of you and makes you happy and that you like to make them happy too!
2. Try to ignore it. (what I do, because the talk with my parents did nothing...) Donīt show them your work and find other persons who like to support you! Maybe your best friends, the community here or your boyfriend, what ever donīt stop to be proud on yourself!!

I think :iconpink-anthony: is right, with the meaning of digital art.. itīs really an age thing! Maybe the digital work is really a bit easier, but there are more options you can do only digital and I thing that makes it really interesting!

So, be proud on yourself! Your art is great!
I really hope that this advise can help you and sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand what i've like to say ^_^
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you for spending time answering. :) I understand it without any problems at all! ;)

It's really sad to hear.. :/ My parents have never wanted me to do something else, they just want me to do it their way.. :/ And yeah, it probably is an age-thing.

I've also tried to speak with them but it doesn't work, so I guess I'll just have to ignore them. :)

Thank you again and merry Christmas! :hug:
:iconcreative-caro:
Creative-Caro Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
no problem and thank you so much for the llama!
I even think thatīs a bad thing too. My parents act in many other situations like this and this makes me sad so I can understand your deplore :/
I hope you can make the best out of it, and have a nice christmas :meow:
:iconlibis:
Libis Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It could be worse. Be glad there are people out there who support your work, and if your parents don't want to be those people--that's their problem/loss. I know people who have to hide their art from their parents because they would hate it to the point of potentially burning it. (There isn't even adult content in their art, it's just big cats and wolves and whatnot.) Be glad they don't try to stop you from expressing yourself.
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
They wouldn't be able to even if they wanted to since I'm not living in their house. ;)

It's horrible to think about how ignorant and stupid people can be!
:iconsimbuh:
SimBuh Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student
They probly don't understand the skills and techniques it requires to create digital art so maybe find it difficult to appreciate your work.But at the end of the day its doing something that makes you happy that matters.
:iconshintai88:
Shintai88 Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Digital Artist
You should tell her that Digital art is more friendly to the enviroment, Since the toxic paints aren't being made.
Also tell her if she thinks its cheating, tell her to try and draw.
:iconpure-in-heart:
pure-in-heart Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Filmographer
My grandparents can't grasp what is it that I do (I'm in 2D animation), they always tell me 'Why won't you pursue something real'... My advice would be just to let go and focus on your art... Focus on what you love to do, do your best and don't give up... If your parents come around - great, if not - it's not the end, it shouldn't make you unhappy
Add a Comment: