Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 44

My parents don't support me..

:iconmarialamsa:
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been drawing since I was a little kid and my parents have always been proud of me (actually, my whole family have). I was depressed some years ago and I didn't draw anything at all at that moment so I lost a lot of my skills.. :(
Earlier this year I got inspiration and started to draw again, which I continued with almost every day since then and I've improved A LOT! This makes me happy and I need this for my psychical health.. But I always get a little sad when I show my work to my parents (I know, I sound like a kid.. But I really want them to be proud of me.. :() because they don't care.. They don't care anymore since I've started to draw digitally and not traditional anymore.. :/ My mom often tells me that Digital art is the same as cheating and that You don't have to do something.. Ofc I know that's wrong, but it hurts me.. :(

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My parents never liked any of my art.
I ended up ignoring their opinion and finding some friends that did appreciate me.
:iconda1withdalongestname:
Seems like they just don't like you drawing digitally, if you want to get their approval, then draw something that traditional arts can't. I can't help you much, my lines always end up squiggling whenever I draw digitally.
:iconcreative-caro:
Creative-Caro Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
oh I think I can understand you.. I do a lot kinds of art and it is a really big part of my life but my parents aren't interested too.
They are mostly angry because they think I should help them more with the holshold instead of painting or anything, that's really sad :( Even my mother thinks that the computer do everything if yo work digital, but I can only say that you shoulnīt care about that! There are two things you can do (I think)
1. You can try to speack with your parents about this problem. Try to say that this hobby is a part of you and makes you happy and that you like to make them happy too!
2. Try to ignore it. (what I do, because the talk with my parents did nothing...) Donīt show them your work and find other persons who like to support you! Maybe your best friends, the community here or your boyfriend, what ever donīt stop to be proud on yourself!!

I think :iconpink-anthony: is right, with the meaning of digital art.. itīs really an age thing! Maybe the digital work is really a bit easier, but there are more options you can do only digital and I thing that makes it really interesting!

So, be proud on yourself! Your art is great!
I really hope that this advise can help you and sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand what i've like to say ^_^
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you for spending time answering. :) I understand it without any problems at all! ;)

It's really sad to hear.. :/ My parents have never wanted me to do something else, they just want me to do it their way.. :/ And yeah, it probably is an age-thing.

I've also tried to speak with them but it doesn't work, so I guess I'll just have to ignore them. :)

Thank you again and merry Christmas! :hug:
:iconcreative-caro:
Creative-Caro Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
no problem and thank you so much for the llama!
I even think thatīs a bad thing too. My parents act in many other situations like this and this makes me sad so I can understand your deplore :/
I hope you can make the best out of it, and have a nice christmas :meow:
:iconlibis:
Libis Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It could be worse. Be glad there are people out there who support your work, and if your parents don't want to be those people--that's their problem/loss. I know people who have to hide their art from their parents because they would hate it to the point of potentially burning it. (There isn't even adult content in their art, it's just big cats and wolves and whatnot.) Be glad they don't try to stop you from expressing yourself.
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
They wouldn't be able to even if they wanted to since I'm not living in their house. ;)

It's horrible to think about how ignorant and stupid people can be!
:iconsimbuh:
SimBuh Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student
They probly don't understand the skills and techniques it requires to create digital art so maybe find it difficult to appreciate your work.But at the end of the day its doing something that makes you happy that matters.
:iconshintai88:
Shintai88 Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Digital Artist
You should tell her that Digital art is more friendly to the enviroment, Since the toxic paints aren't being made.
Also tell her if she thinks its cheating, tell her to try and draw.
:iconpure-in-heart:
pure-in-heart Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Filmographer
My grandparents can't grasp what is it that I do (I'm in 2D animation), they always tell me 'Why won't you pursue something real'... My advice would be just to let go and focus on your art... Focus on what you love to do, do your best and don't give up... If your parents come around - great, if not - it's not the end, it shouldn't make you unhappy
:iconsmilkey:
smilkey Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, your parents are just old-fashioned ..... XD idk
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I guess so.. :) They're quite young though.
:iconlightning-13:
lightning-13 Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I'm sorry they feel that way, and I'm sure they don't mean it in a bad way, just think that when they see you draw in the traditional way, they see that you really put an effort into it, while digitally they see that you have a bunch of options to choose from, and it's 'simply' to choose whatever you want to do and abra katabra, it's done. I know, you know, and all other artists know that it's not that simple to draw digitally, it requires skills that too, so don't be disappointed by your parents, they might not be too into the digital world, or they might want you to put more effort by yourself and not by programs. I know how you feel, I always wanted to make my parents proud of me, and even today, I show them my drawings, mostly the traditional, but when my mom bumps into my room and sees me paint, she finds my paintings amazing. But it's my mom, other people that have seen my paintings don't think the same. Just do what you feel good about, keep on drawing, painting, one day you will have awesome skills;)
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's exactly how it is for me! It's just my mom (and my dad sometimes).. Everyone else I know says that my art's great.. :) Thank you!
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you all for your words, it means a lot! :) Since most of you are saying the same things I'll just vrote one answer. But I've read everything. :)

I've realized that they probably wont ever change and I'll just move on. I know I'm good and I will be great some day but it's a shame that they don't see it. It's their loss though. :)

And again; Thank you all :heart:
:iconsimplylemie:
SimplyLemie Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
First off - don't show your pictures to your parents if they just bring you down. If it is for attention - you can get it elsewhere.

And then "My mom often tells me that Digital art is the same as cheating and that You don't have to do something" - if one don't have to do anything, let her try. Because if one doesn't have to do anything but stare at the screen, then she would be able to do it too, right? Show her your program and let her play around in it, if she wish. Then see if she says the same.
:icondjdanilly:
djdanilly Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional General Artist
Hello, I am a counselor, and minister. Us as artists go through alot of criticism. Our greatest one is OURSELVES! lol On here you'll find out almost all artists don't have many or any supporters at all. The trick is to live your life, you shouldn't live someone else's. Parents will never understand new things, sometimes they get stuck in their world, and don't want to change. I know that is hard to hear but it makes us much stronger. Over time if you stick with it and become successful then all they have to do is close their mouths in shock when you make it big! They will get proud of you then. To bond with them you can pick activities that you both like. Contact me if you have any other questions. Thank you.
:iconlightning-13:
lightning-13 Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
so true! (thumbs up)
:iconcherylblanche:
CherylBlanche Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
:c
I'd just give them my instruments and ask them to replicate if they really think it's easy. That should be an effective eye opener.
:iconriseofgreenbean:
RiseofGreenBean Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
"My mom often tells me that Digital art is the same as cheating and that You don't have to do something"

Your mother should know that digital art is the core of graphic design, which is in advertisements of all kinds that are exposed to people (including her) everyday. Digital art is more useful to have a handle on these days, because so many companies and workplaces want people with those skills to design stuff for them.

I say you should expand on your digital art and create something totally kick-ass, then give it to your parents as a Christmas gift or something. Maybe even take snapshots after each stage of creation to show that there's actually a process involved. I trust you'll become a great digital artist, good luck :)
:iconmattsykun:
MattsyKun Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Exactly. My Art 101 teacher told us that in reality, graphic designers are the ones that rule the world. They tell us what to buy, what to wear, EVERYTHING.

And that's why I want to be one :evillaugh:
:iconriseofgreenbean:
RiseofGreenBean Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
As far as I know, you become a well-known graphic designer by being fast, skilled, and likeable. Practice a lot, develop speed without losing quality, and network A LOT.
FIGHT THE POWAH AND HOLD ON TO YOUR DREAMS!!! :la:
:iconmattsykun:
MattsyKun Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
YUS :D
:icondejivrur:
dejivrur Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
actually this happened to me too before
my artistic instinct awakened few years back, triggered by a chance encounter with my first pocket camera, after all i been through i considered this art thing to be quite marvelous and joyful, so then i started being a photographer, then everybody laugh at me and looked down on me, after few years struggle i managed to get better and better, in photography, that i won an action figure photo contest recently, then all the haters stopped hating and looking down on me... coz i have proved that they are wrong

yeah, the best thing that can happen to you is people looking down on you, and not supporting you when you needed them

so... aim high for the sky!! be the striving soul that is thristy and have insatible desires for achievements!! you shall evolve to be better and better!!
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Don't show your parents your art. :shrug:

I'm a traditional artist and I've tried digital before, and it's pretty fucking hard to make that switch (that's why it didn't stick). So I commend anyone for being able to make decent digital art.
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional General Artist
Often digital art takes just as much effort and time as traditional art does; I know, I've done alot of both and so I think I can speak from experience.

However, I know what you're going through. I use to show my parents my work when I was a kid and teenager, but neither of them ever seemed really interested in it so I eventually stopped. These days, as an adult, I don't even bother showing them my work even though I've made a nice amount of money from it over the years and been commissioned by professional companies for pieces.

Although it would be nice for our parents to give us a pat on the back for things we think we've done well the facts are that we can't go around expecting them to do that because it just doesn't happen and they're not going to agree with everything we like. That's just life and all part of growing up.
In the end we have to pat our own backs for a job well done.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
You're signature is pretty sweet!
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional General Artist
Thanx.
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
If it helps to know, I have hundreds of art works my family has never seen. At one point, I wanted them to like my work but as time went on I stopped caring what they thought of it so it is possible to stop needing their approval.
:iconmercury-crowe:
Mercury-Crowe Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Eh, they'll get over it.

My mom is a bit of an art snob (we're all artists in my family) but she eventually came around and now has a bunch of my digital prints up on her wall.

As for digital art being cheating, try this one on her: If digital art is cheating, so it using a canvas, brushes, and paints you got at a store. The only way to do art without 'cheating' is to go out, gather your ingredients, make your own pigment, weave your own canvas, make your sealant, mix your pigments, on and on. Hell, so is using a pencil, you CLEARLY should be making fires, pulling out the charred sticks and drawing with them.

Tell her using the oven is cheating. As is buying food at the grocery store. And using cleaning supplies. And using the CAR- if she doesn't want to walk, then she should go out, breed and train a horse, make a wagon, and ride that around.

Ok, don't be mean about it. But you can really make your point clear.
:iconpink-anthony:
pink-anthony Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My dad is the same about digital art. It's an age thing. Anything done on the computer seems to be seen as automatically "easier" to anyone over 35, because you're not "doing it yourself".

My parents have very rarely supported me or shown pride in what I do. And I turned out fine.
You have to stop looking for praise to validate your own talent. If you think you're improving, have the drive to improve further and are proud of your improvements and enjoying learning new things (such as moving from traditional art to digital), then that's what matters.

Especially when art is helping keep you happy and healthy mentally. Do it because you enjoy it, not because your parents praise you for it.
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, I've realized that it may be an age based thought..

Thank you, it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one. I really appreciate it.
No problem. Just stand on your own feet and be proud of yourself and you'll be okay. :hug:
I really am. :) I think that I've improved a lot this year and I'm still getting better. I just get a little sad at the moment when my parents tell me that I shouldn't be proud since it's digital.. But I'm trying to ignore it! :) :hug:
Well look at it this way. The majority of illustrators and visual communications artists are digital artists. It's very hard to get work as a consumer artist if you haven't mastered digital art.

Do your best to ignore it. They're not downing your skill, they're downing your medium. Which is a pretty poor argument. :)
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sit your mom in front of a computer, give her a stylus and open up your favorite drawing software. Tell her to make a piece of art since she thinks it's so easy. If you're feeling charitable, you can even tell her what the different tools do and how to use layers.

Afterwards, she might have a newfound respect for what you do.
I've already done that.. :/ She still doesn't understand that it isn't something whoever can do..
:iconalexis-oma:
Alexis-OMA Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   General Artist
Sorry this happening to you,
for the most part, with myself and other artists Im friends w/
we go through the same thing, no support.
and you the foundation from which an artist comes "should" be the main branch of support
at least you'd think that was the case.
im a choreographer/digitalartists/rapper/activist/ect..
and i've always only had myself,
i hope you find the same strength in yourself like i did to push it through and be
successful,
with or without their support.
all you need is creativity.
Thank you, it's nice to hear that it's not only me.
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Well, do you want them to lie to you to make you feel better or what? If you don't want to hear their negative opinions about digital art then stop asking them to tell you their opinions. The fact that they're your parents doesn't mean they're not entitled to have their own ideas about art.
Beside if you want to be an artist, then you've got to be able to supply your own pride in what you do. Parents who don't understand your work are far from the least encouraging response you're likely to receive in your lifetime.
I understand now that I maybe wasn't clear enough.. They want to see what I do, and when I show them they only talk about how bad I'm since I'm not working traditionally anymore.. And I don't want them to tell me that I'm bad (because I'm not) for doing what I love instead of what they want. I know that I'll get A LOT of critiques from other people (I get that some times) but don't you too think that your parents words hurts a lot more than some stranger on the web? I just want them to stop saying that I'm bad for working digitally.. :( Is that really to much to ask for..? I'd rather want them to be quiet in this case... I don't want to show them more things.. :'(

(I'm sorry for eventually spelling or grammar mistakes, I'm really tired and replying from my phone...)
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
I'm not saying that your parents' words don't hurt. I would know, because my parents don't really like or understand my art, either. But frankly it doesn't matter if their opinions hurt or not. They're still entitled to their opinions, and it's still your job as an artist to deal with those opinions. You can let it hurt your widdle feewings, which accomplishes nothing, or you can get over yourself and move on. Not everybody's going to like your work, and not everybody has to. Not even your parents. That shouldn't be a problem anyway, because you should be doing art for yourself.

Simply asking you to share your work is not forcing you to share your work. Simply decline if you don't want to hear their feedback.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My parents like my digital art, hah :dummy:

Maybe one day you can sit down with your parents and ask them to draw something digitally. Then whenever they do something wrong snort at them and say 'hey, it's digital. It's eeeasy.
I've actually done that, but they still don't get it! ;)
Add a Comment: