Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

What to do if someone likes you but you don't feel the same?

:iconhitachiin-sister:
Hitachiin-Sister Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My issue is probably a lot less important than anyone else's here but this has happened to me a couple of times and I usually just ignore it until it gets awkward... X_x

I do know that this person likes me (or at least its very likely) but he's never said. I could give you all the reasons why but I want to keep this short (because I know a lot of people don't like reading the long ones sometimes :P)

The last time a guy liked me and I didn't like him I just ignored it and ended up having to spend loads of awkward time with him (because we were in the same uni classes) and I was too polite probably. Sometimes I said I had to go, because he could talk to me for up to 2 hours after class each day, but he would keep talking anyway and I wouldn't want to say any more rudely so I just had to hang round with him. (avoiding him after class didn't always work)

This situation has come up again and its already happening to start all over again :( but neither of these guys told me they liked me and I know if I somehow gently tell the guy I don't like him he'll probably say he never liked me either (well I'm assuming) and It'll be really awkward.

Otherwise, I could wait until he says something but with all the time that I end up spending with them (and the last guy's inability to ever tell me) isn't looking too good. Even with excuses it can be hard to 'get away' from them (I know that sounds mean but spending at least a couple of hours with one person every day is just too much for me.)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondjdanilly:
djdanilly Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional General Artist
Hello, I am a counselor, and minister. To me I think you just need to find some self confidence. It's ok if you don't feel the same about a guy. Don't feel bad for them or for you. Life is about making hard decisions. You will feel much better about yourself when you state your likes and dislikes. If you still don't know it's ok to not date at all too to get your emotions in check. Maybe you just have a certain type of guy. Evil forces try to get at you by showing you what you don't want so you know what you do want. =D. Contact me, if you have any other questions! Thank you.
:icondancingintwilight:
DancingInTwilight Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student General Artist
:/ no idea, in hung up on a guy after 2 years. and im in a happy-ish relationship. and i never ever see the guy. not even pictures.
:iconlightning-13:
lightning-13 Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I wouldn't give any positive signals, I wouldn't ignore but let's say I would keep it on a friendly level. I agree with the others that say you shouldn't let them be like that for months, it's not right. Be polite, but at the same time honest.
:iconpink-anthony:
pink-anthony Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You'll have to just be outright with it.

He will probably be hurt, but it's much better in the long run than letting him continue thinking that he's getting somewhere and potentially stalking you.
Hitachiin-Sister Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
He has used the word stalking in reference to a previous girl he liked so that's kinda worrying :P I'll just have to get it over and done with when I can in the nicest but also most forward way. Thanks for your comment.
:iconpink-anthony:
pink-anthony Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You have to be cruel to be kind sometimes. You're welcome.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
'Thank you for being interested, but I don't feel that way'.

As long as he doesn't TELL you or try to do anything about it, he can be attracted to you all he wants. You don't really have that much control over who you like. But he needs to keep it to himself and understand you are NOT interested.

I have cut off friendship with a couple guys over this same situation. I generally tell people I am not looking for romance (I'm married, anyway, but that doesn't stop them) and if I ever suspect- or worse yet hear them say they have 'fallen for me' that is the end of our relationship, period. They don't see me again.

I don't like hurting people or leading them on- or what they may see as leading them on. I don't want all this love crap clogging up a friendship, particularly since I know without a doubt I will NEVER feel the same way.

I knew a guy who was pretty convinced I was going to leave my husband for him- even though I'd taken pains with him to make it clear I wasn't looking for someone else (the situation was kind of odd, I was in one city with my kid, my husband was in another a couple hours away renovating a house and stayed there since he didn't have a car). We were doing OK as friends then he started looking at me that way and I reminded him of my rules.

Sure enough, after knowing eachother for a little while he started going overboard, came to my house one night at 3AM stressing out about not having a girlfriend, not to much longer later maybe a couple weeks, he came by the house again and said 'Hey, you know that thing you told me never to say to you..?' and I just winced and said 'Sorry, man. You know the rules. Bye'
Hitachiin-Sister Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wow, that's crazy O.o Even when you're married. I know now I just have to let him know. I just have to work up the courage and be able to take his reaction. Thanks for your help.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Give them a quick pity-fuck and then let them down easy.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Ooh, I tried that once. Wound up with a stalker.
Add a Comment: