Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Is it worth it?

:iconsnapdragoon:
Snapdragoon Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Is it really too late to abandon this path for another I think suits me better?

People tell me it's a huge waste of money to abandon my degree at this point. I think it's all a huge waste anyways. Some of the required classes, a huge waste of time and effort. So much wasted stress to compound on top of everything else. I don't think I'm learning anything at all from some of them. Why bother? Is a degree in art really going to help me be the artist I want to be? I'm already fucked. Neck-deep in debt, can't get a job, about to lose my house. It's no wonder I want to give up. Escape to somewhere where I can live happily and in peace...but I'm beginning to wonder if there is any place like that left on the earth, or if humans fucked all that up.

Everything seems so hopeless right now, what difference does it make? I don't feel like I am going where I want to go right now. I'm so torn. Everyone is telling me that I'm being foolish, but continuing on this path just doesn't feel right. And I really think I should follow my instinct on this one. I have learned so much at this school, but I can learn more on my own.

I feel like the world is really holding me back right now from doing what I want to do, being who want to be. If I keep going down this path, I will only waste away. It's either make a change soon, or I will probably end up killing myself or running away somewhere no one can find me. I can't keep gong on like this. I can't. It's tearing me apart.

I'm going to finish my junior year here, and I am definitely not giving up art. Not at all. Just, is the degree worth it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Art school is almost always a huge waste of money. There is very little they can teach you that you can't teach yourself if you have the devotion. Even critiques and stuff you just need to find an artists group to get.

They may help with networking- but is that REALLY worth all the money you pay them? Probably not. If you want to network, become active in your art scene. Find galleries doing openings. Join social groups. Etc. Network directly with the local artists.

Is a degree in art going to help you? Probably not. Nobody who hires artists looks for a degree- because it proves nothing other than that you can stick though school. And while being persistent is a good thing, it doesn't mean you are actually any good. They hire from a portfolio. The only time a degree is even going to matter in the slightest is if you are going for a job doing something to do with specific programs and stuff- something like 3d rendering- and even then it's only an indication to them that you know the software and stuff, if you can present a portfolio that shows you can do it without the classes then that is just fine.

Even Pixar just requires a portfolio.
Snapdragoon Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Thanks. I can't say being here has been a total waste; a lot of people here helped my overcome major social anxiety and come out as a transgender ftm; and that has been as valuable as any learning could be. But you're right; the money that has been spent here was spent, but I have no reason to spend anymore.
:iconplasticfortunecookie:
PlasticFortuneCookie Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
If I were in your position (I have a similar one, but not as dramatic), I would stick with the degree. You already spent the money. After college you could go work full-time somewhere and start paying off your debt, or you could try to win a few scholarships too. I know that I may be over simplifying the situation, but there are worse situations than paying off a debt and not being able to live in a house. If you have any good friends, ask if you could live with them for a while. Since you are planning on being an artist, perhaps selling your work is an option as well.
:iconelementalshifter:
ElementalShifter Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on..." ~Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin
Probably the most meaningful lyrics in that song...anyway. You have to pursue what you want, regardless of the means to get there. If a degree feels like the wrong way to go about it, then go with what you feel. Trust your instinct; it will never lie to you.
:icondarkchasmwolf:
DarkChasmWolf Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Lol i find myself asking that question over and over again. Now i recently figured out i rather do art than any thing else. So if you enjoy doing art and want to make a living from it. Go for it. Do you need a degree to be considered art? no.

Only reason i think you would need a degree in art is to be a full time Art historian or Graphic Designer.
Snapdragoon Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Or a teacher. And I would make a terrible teacher.
:icondarkchasmwolf:
DarkChasmWolf Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Digital Artist
same here -.-;
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Do you need a degree to be an artist? No.

Do you need a degree to get a job as an artist....maybe. Depends on what you are looking to do. If you are looking to do freelance, you will be completely judged by the quality of your portfolio. Freelance requires some sales skills, you need to research who is hiring freelance artists, tailor a portfolio to the client, and follow up regularly. Including sending updated portfolios. You will need to work under a deadline, and the one person I have spoken to who does this says that your first job or two with any new commisioner you should aim to have done early if possible, in case they are the type to ask for revisions, and if they are the type to ask for revisions, you need to aim early with that particular company always.

Working for a company a college degree is often an advantage. There are more artists out there than there are art jobs. So if you are going for a job at a company, there are likely a dozen other artists who are looking as well. I have worked crappy retail sales jobs where the manager either wants extensive experience in the field or a college degree, it has nothing to do with doing the job, it is a screening procedure to thin the possible resumes. When you have 12 people applying for a job, and 3 have previous experience, and 3 have college degrees, you can cut the field in half by only taking college degree/experienced people for interview.
:iconprocon-8:
procon-8 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Honestly keeping an art degree is solely up to you. The degree is only worth it in studios and big businesses that want to know that you know what you are doing. However college in art is for the contacts moreso than a piece of paper. If you have far reaching friends and acquaintances, then you will be a very successful artist.
Also do not let others tell you what to do. If YOU feel that this degree is overall worthless, than that is for you to decide not them.
:iconlightning-13:
lightning-13 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
Only you know the answer to your question, ask yourself if it's really worth it. For some it would be, for others it wouldn't. But you are who you are.
Add a Comment: