December 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

To go to Therapy or not go to Therapy, this is the question

:iconcreativegirl91:
Creativegirl91 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hello All,

Just last week, I completely spilled my guts about some things I had been feeling lately, to one of my close friends and co-worker while at work. It is a long story but at the end of my talking my co-worker she has suggested that I try to go to a therapist through work which will be free and I can have the help I need without any problems. My aunt has also told me that it would benefit me to go to a therapist. I've been teetering on the matter for quite some time now. I have been thinking about it ever since I had been diagnosed with anxiety last year. I do not take any anxiety medication and do not plan too until it is absolutely necessary. I really need to make a decision but it's so hard for me.

If my anxiety wasn't so bad then I wouldn't have to ponder this decision at all but unfortunately this is not the case. If anyone would like to help me or just talk to me about this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Creativegirl91

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjulais:
Julais Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
Seeing a therapist doesn't equal taking meds. You can always decide to do that later. I'd try out the FREE professional help. I mean, it's free, so why not! They're trained for this stuff!
Creativegirl91 Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you for your response
:iconsignsofortune:
signsofortune Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
Dear Creativegirl91,

Here is my answer to your question. A counselor can be helpful, but do not expect a counselor to be a be-all end-all solution to your problems. About half the counselors I have gone to have been helpful. About half of them have not. So, try to find a good counselor and try it out. If they are super crappy, try another counselor. My advice would be, 3 strikes you're out. try at least three counselors if the others don't work. If none of them are any good, try to find someone else who can be a mentor-type person to you.

A good therapist will only hold up one corner of your mind. for the other four, you need regular activities, friends whom you talk to, and family who love you. Hope it goes well.

SoF
Creativegirl91 Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Great thank you for your comments. :D
:iconkaida-22:
Kaida-22 Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I was very apprehensive about going as well, but it turned out to be the best thing I could have done. It was really beneficial for me to open up to someone who didn't have a personal gain from the decision I was struggling with, as everyone else I had talked to about it gave me their opinion based on how it would effect them, not me.

She was very calm and asked me a lot of questions to help me ascertain my true feelings and it was a relief not to have to feel like I would disappoint her if I told her the total truth (something I had major issues with). She also gave me some "homework" (journal entries & such) to track how I process things & react to people, which is helping me even now. (medication was never mentioned in our sessions)

I was always told that I was weak if I sought help for my issues from a therapist, but it turned out to me the opposite as I am now stronger and more confidant in decisions that I make. It's also comforting to know that if I have any problems I cant deal with in the future that I have someone ready and willing to listen to me.

I don't think you have anything to loose with going to talk to someone. If it helps then you've gained a lot...and if it doesn't, you haven't lost anything!

Best of luck to you and Happy Holidays!
Thank you for your comments.

Have a wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year
:iconnyanko-dono:
nyanko-dono Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
if you can find a good therapist, it's worth it. there's no more shame in talking to someone because you're feeling down then there is in seeing a doctor for a cold.

I say do it! there's certainly no harm, and perhaps it will help C:
thank you :D
:iconkuhwin:
KUHwin Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Student
My vote is to talk to someone. There's no shame in it, and talking out your problems is not only going to make you feel better but help you through whatever feelings you have. I have numerous friends who suffer through anxiety and depression, and I promise you getting help and taking baby steps is never a bad thing. (:
Creativegirl91 Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you for your kind words :D
Add a Comment: