Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

What do I have to look forward too?

:iconpendawg:
pendawg Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student General Artist
I'm feeling pretty stressed lately. well stressed or depressed or something :/I Graduated high school a couple months ago. I was accepted to a university but i wanted to try for somewhere with a better reputation, not that the place I was accepted is by any means bad. But, in the hopes of being an eventually better me, i opted to work on my portfolio and skills for a year and then apply to some different places.
Well now i feel stuck :/

When I was in high school,i had concrete goals i was working towards, something that made the monotony of everyday life mean something. But now that's over and the field is wide open. I always thought that would be a good thing, but not seeing the goal, the reason i wake up in the morning is just.. scarey. I WANT to get into a better school, and I WANT to improve my art but until it happens i have no solid evidence to show i'm making progress or moving forward. I just feel like I'm stuck, wasting a year of my life, getting up and going through the daily motions for no real reason other than filling the 16 hour gap before i fall back to bed. Though I am by no means suicidal, the thought that I might just die silently in my sleep is O.K with me, which is just wrong.

How do I find what I have to look forward to? How do I remind my self of the reason I need to get up everyday?

Thanks for any suggestions.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkyupol:
kyupol Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
improve your art? lol I looked at your gallery and i can honestly say you are a notch or two above my skill level (as far as drawing portraits is concerned).

Dont fret about it. Cheers. :)
:iconpmmurphy:
PMMurphy Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hey! I wanted to comment on this earlier.

I sorry but nobody can really help you find your own purpose. That's your job.

But i can make comments about other things. Its tough sometimes to commit to something not everything is going to be a clear cut road for you. Sometimes your gonna get scared, its gonna look hazy and difficult. But if you really want that particular thing you gotta stick it through. That is how we all become successful, through perseverance passion and dedication.

Art is a difficult field to do and hard to be successful in, your going to have TONS of times where you feel like your not good enough or don't want to do it anymore, like its all pointless. That is why i never went to art school and decided to major in computer science instead.
:iconorangekrissy:
OrangeKrissy Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
You graduated in September? Isn't that when school starts?
pendawg Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student General Artist
I graduated in June. Is that relevant?
:iconorangekrissy:
OrangeKrissy Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Well you said you graduated a few months ago. 7 months is more than a few.
pendawg Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student General Artist
Holy wow it's been 7 months? I hadn't counted before now. Well that depressing. Yes, your right, I should have put "several" months ago. Sorry.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Put some time into it after work and on weekends. YOU make the better you. School is useful since it gives you tools and peers but it can't make you better by magic, you still have to study relentlessly. Which is something you can start on right now. Do things outside of your confort zone (I see mostly heads in your gallery, I assume you can do more, if you feel insecure about the rest then that is a vector to consider your progress for example) and consider what it is you want to work with or what the thing is that you aspire to do.

Want to work on movies? Illustrate a kids book? WRITE a kids book? Make comics? Work in video games? Illustrate anatomically correct watercolor birds for bird books? Just being able to live on art period? I don't know. There are a ton of things to do out there.

Don't give up before you've even started! You try and you fail and you try again and you fail and repeat a few hundred times and then you make a win and you go at it again because you love it.
:iconysliao:
YSLiao Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Might help if you make the artwork for a more short-term, definite purpose, like a volunteer painting for charity holiday cards. You gotta go out and find some kind of short-term purpose that your art could serve, and that'll get you up in the morning doing art. Even though some of them may not go into your portfolio, the fact that you're getting up doing art for some goals will help steer you into a more driven mindset so you can create your own work.
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
imagine this: you were walking trough corridors that would lead you from room to room, with each one of the rooms with a seperate function. now you suddenly stopped walking and took a breath by walking out from one of the venting shafts and found yourself in front of a wide horizon and infinite sky. that confuses you naturally. we fail to notice the flow of life by moving on and on non stop. but as soon as we stop and look around we see the great immigration. this is what happens to you. use this time in your life to gather your thoughts and focus. if you take advantage of every single hour of a free day you will see what you can really do with all this time in your hands.
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
End of your course?
Add a Comment: