Starting college, and I'm so nervous!

Call me a wimp, but the thought of any more schooling--even online, which is what I'm doing--scares me. High school was a disaster for me, but I did great in my art classes. I finally got the option to go to college a year and a half after graduating high school, and I took it. I'm not backing out on my decision. But I'm really worried. What if I can't do it? What if it's too hard? Everyone DOES say animation degrees are difficult. I know it's just online, which removes a big stressor, but I'm still all worked up and feel helpless, like I can't do it.

How do I get the strength to do this? How can I do it without fear? My previous schooling kinda left me with a lot of fear for schooling.
Comments15
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Online classes, depending on the teacher, can be a nice thing. You don't have to be in class for specific lecture times, so no worrying about sleeping in late. You'll do fine. Just make sure you don't overload yourself with too many credit hours or a bunch of difficult classes in a row (do not take classes like chemistry and algebra together. trust me.) If you have work, make sure to factor that into your class choices: most teachers recommend equal to double homework time to class time: four credit class, four to eight hours for homework. Art classes, in my experience, tend to use a lot of that time, so plan accordingly.

I know it's a little late for winter semester changes, but I always like to find out about a teacher if I don't already know what the course load will be like. Don't worry about your degree being difficult: you're just starting college, so in order to graduate you have to add in all your gen ed classes at some point. I mix my degree requirements (French) with my gen ed classes, so I don't burn out. Take the time to look around for different classes that meet different requirements: my school offers a class on fairy tales, and I do mean old fashioned Hans Christian Anderson/Grimms Brothers stories, that meets a philosophy requirement of all things. There are more than a few classes that can be very fun that can go towards your degree, and keeping it fun can keep the stress down.

Most colleges offer short lectures or workshops on study habits and time management, or other help topics like that. I don't know if an online college will offer those, but they're worth taking a look at if any of those topics have you concerned.

Your teachers can also be a great resource. They aren't very fond of giving out answers to homework, but they will help, or give you someone who can help with specific questions. Don't ever hesitate to ask.

If you are willing to learn, you will be fine. I was homeschooled up to college level, so it was a huge format jump for me, too; one semester I'm reporting to my mother, the next I'm in a room full of strangers. Take a deep breath, get yourself a planner and a plan, and take it one day at a time. You can do it!
even if you cant do it, better fail by trying it than fail by not even attempting
Don't be afraid just gotta take a step at a time. Everything looks daunting from a far, but day by day it doesn't look so bad.
If its an american college and its undergrad its going to be easy. Just be systematic and do your work on a regular basis and turn it in and you get A's.

It's scary at first and if your not ready it will be difficult, you just gotta brush off some bad habits and get those rusty wheels turning. Then its not scary at all. All because us americans have an easy educational system doesn't mean you shouldn't take things seriously. After all you want to be successful right?
True, true. I have no intention of not working as hard as I can. I'm going to do the work to the best of my ability. I'm just afraid that it'll be too hard for me. I'm a pretty smart person--at least, I'd like to think so (I at least have English grammar and spelling mastered)--but I'm a worrywart, and this is a totally new experience for me.
youll be fine. Just do better then me im totally sucking at college but im atleast still trying.
:smoking: Connections, my friend. College is all about making good connections.
Don't expect much. That's what I do.
Honestly, I think online would actually be HARDER for many reasons. And it's sorta cutting out a big part of the college experience.
I realize it's different, but I've done online classes in high school, and I liked it. I got A's in high school because of the online courses I took. It's DEFINITELY cutting out a big part of college, but I move around so much, and I work so much that being at a campus just wouldn't work for me.
Well High school IS different. What I'd do if I were you is take mainly regular classes but try at least one online. Don't just do only online... You may find you hate it.
It's a little late for that. The issue is I am incapable of getting to a university and taking those courses, and my online option has all the courses I need, soooo....
[link]

Lol. In all seriousness, college is laughable. The only hard part is finding cool people to hang out with, and there will be so many to choose from you're bound to find a nut eventually that's as weird I mean cool as you are :P

That's my experience anyway.
Getting a job, and I mean one you will like, and will pay good, will be even TWENTY times harder. Honestly though, the economy may be rough, but not everywhere. Some places are well off. The unemployment rate in North Dakota is 3% for example. Some places are booming, you just have to know your options and take opportunities.