Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

I've had 'dizziness' for months...Help?

:icondlaesp:
dlaESP Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've had what I can only describe as 'dizziness' since late September...
I feel light-headed, like my mind is kind of fuzzy and my everything seems a bit 'off'. Occasionally I feel as if I'm teetering, going to lose my balance, but not often. I've heard that's what vertigo feels like, but I'm not sure if I have that or not. Sometimes it feels as if the room is tilted. I've also noticed that if I take any sort of medicine that makes you drowsy it gets worse.
It isn't terribly hindering me, but it's causing me anxiety and stressing me out.
I did go to the doctor and complain about it, along with ear pain (Several people have told me I'm probably feeling this way because of ear infection) but all she did was prescribe me a decongestant and some nasal spray. Worked well with some of my sinus problems (I'm a frequent sufferer) and my ear pain has died away, but the dizziness continues.
Has anybody else felt like this? Does anybody know what's causing it / how I can possibly treat it? It's really been bothering me to the point of fear.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnocturn0wl:
Nocturn0wl Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Definitely, as *Omega-WereWolf said, go see an audiologist (essentially, an ear doctor), and ASAP. If you're having dizziness spells and also ear pain, there might be something going on in your middle/inner ear and/or vestibular system (the two are physically connected even though they serve different functions--hearing and balance, respectively), and only someone who's specialized in studying them will be able to reliably tell you if there's something not quite right there in the first place, and if there is something off they'll be much more likely to accurately diagnose you. The fact that you've mentioned a potential ear infection and constant sinus issues (again, the two are physically connected) tells me that there's a higher likelihood that it's something to do with your ears (and I've only taken one class on audiology stuff so far), so those'll be things you absolutely want to mention to whichever audiologist you go in to see, even if they don't ask.

Also, the sooner you go the sooner it'll potentially get resolved, and the less potential damage you'll have done to your ears/vestibular system. Best of luck!
:iconelfynity:
Elfynity Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
Interesting, I also experienced alot of dizziness; it was caused by my heart murmur. Everytime i had anything with caffeine or an upper in it, i would feel faint and dizzy. Heart murmurs are not fatal like other heart conditions, so don't worry, but you should find out for sure if you maybe have one.
:iconelfynity:
Elfynity Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
I also mistook having a heart murmur as panic attacks because they feel the same.
:iconjetpowerfie:
JetPowerFIE Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I hate to be "un-scientific", especially compared to all these responses, but my sister suffers from diziness, and (as tired of hearing it from me she may be) I can not stress how important it is to watch your water intake. Atleast 2 quarts a day. When she drinks atleast that amount, her diziness seems to be greatly reduced if not almost solved. Just try drinking two big Gatorade bottles a day. Trust me, if nothing else proper water intake will certainly help.
dlaESP Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks, I've been trying to take in water a lot more than I usually do c:
:iconavianex:
AvianEx Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I have low blood pressure, and that sounds a lot like what I have whenever I stand up. You should get it checked out, because you are at a high risk of fainting. The last time I fainted I split my chin open and broke two teeth, so fainting is serious.
:iconmew-sumomo:
Mew-Sumomo Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student General Artist
I'd see an ENT as soon as possible. I have two friends who experience something similar. One of them was referred to a neurologist.
:iconmayjackson:
MayJackson Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Sounds like low blood pressure to me. You can definitely self-treat this by eating more salt, (drink water too but w/o the salt your bp will not increase) but MAKE SURE YOUR BP DOESN'T GO OVER 130/90. (You can check your bp at almost any pharmacy on one of those machines.) I don't want to be putting you at risk for hypertension here xD But I'm guessing your systolic is ~ 90 if you're getting dizzy (the top number which should be 120, since 120/80 is normal).

If your doctor doesn't take your complaint seriously, mention that you think it might be low blood pressure and that you're going to start taking in more salt! - he doc might tell you not to, but I can almost guarantee that they'll take your complaint more seriously and check your bp more closely.
:)
dlaESP Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Alright, I'll be sure to ask about that c: The last time my bp was checked the nurse said it was "Kind of high" but she wasn't concerned.
Last night I had a panic attack though, it felt just like my dizziness but worse and with rapid heartbeat. I'll definitely be asking the doctor about my anxiety...
:iconmayjackson:
MayJackson Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Yes, it could be anxiety, but I wouldn't expect that too have a large impact on your blood *pressure.* (But maybe you should be put on an anxiolytic to help with that.) If your bp is a little high normally than be cautious with salt... but yeah, definitely ask. Also, don't want to scare you but it's possible you have a heart condition - just make sure the doctor listens to your chest :) If anything is too wrong he/she will know :) (even if you did have one, most heart conditions are really not scary and don't decrease length or quality of life)
Add a Comment: