I want a bald cat :<

say you wanted a cat. a hairless cat. and you lived with your boyfriend/girlfriend, who says you can not have one because they are ugly. you have the money to care for it, and you already have one playful cat who doesnt have any other kitties to play with. and what if YOURE the one who always cleans out the litter, feeds, and waters the cat. do you think its fair that your significant other wont let you have another cat that you want? should you have to ask your significant other for permission before doing anything, or does his seem a bit controlling?
Comments23
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'd take him to meet some hairless cats ans maybe he would grow to tolerate or even like them.
I'm trying to convince my partner that a snake would make a good pet as I have two bluetongues and a dog, but he is set on "it'll kill you in your sleep"
If you wanna hairless cat, get one. Your partner should understand you want one YOU would take care of it. Need to make decisions together and compromise about it, but I don't think your partner should mind THAT much if it means you being happy. Getting a hairless cat should not be the cause of a breakup and if your partner leaves you cuz of that then find a new partner who loves hairless cats. :)
I want a hairless dog XD
Saying no, considering you already have a cat does sound controlling.
If you both have equal ownership of the place then I say get one.
Hairless cats are cute too!. My cousin had one and she was completely a lap cat. I love fluffy things, so is not my type, but my cousin loved her so much.

I do not know who owns the place or who pays the rent, if both are in the same conditions or not, but one thing is for sure: Animals and children are big responsabilities, both should agree in my opinion. If you can convince the reluctant part it would be perfect, rather than appearing one day with the kitty
Do you and your partner both pay rent on the place you live? Or are you living with them but not paying rent?

If your partner owns the place you live, or pays all the rent or bills, then I would say just listen to what they say.

But I think if you have equal ownership of the house, have the money and knowledge to care for the cat and really do think you could give it a loving home, then you should get it.
Get a pig instead. They look about the same and when you get bored of it, you can turn it into bacon.
Lots of delicious bacon.
Your partner will get used to the cat and start loving it in no-time.

When I first brought my boyfriend here he would make fun of my cat (he is flat-nosed) but now he wouldn't be without him. There'd be something wrong if a person would live with a cat for an amount of time without getting attached to it.

Talk it over with him again and say it'd be your cat. You buy it, you take care of it and you pay for it's expenses. I'm sure he'd get used to it in no way.
I've always wanted a hairless cat too.
So Damn cute! They have such bold personalities too.

I say get one for yourself and bring it home.
Whoa cares if your so doesn't like it. It's yours!
When it is about taking another life into the house, if one person says no, that should be the end of it. No living thing deserves to be brought into an enviroment where it will be disliked/hated.
You and your man need to decide together on things that affect the household.
Even if you're cleaning out the litter etc...you both have to share the same living space.

Besides the 'ugly' part, you have to determine what other factors are in play and how they affect his decision making process. Then address that stuff.
You two also need to talk it over some more.

On top of that you have to determine if you're capable of caring for the animal.
Do they have special needs etc.....

Secretly he could think you're a crazy cat woman and thinks one is better than 30:P
oops sorry, bad translation I MEANT the type of short hair which apparently in english is Oriental shorthair NOT Exotic shorthair
So you want a sphinx then. They are hairless- and ugly!
It probably would be better if you agreed on the pet you'll share your home with.

Ask yourself, what is it you like about the bald cats? Is it the fact that they are exotic or rare? The body type and proportions? If it's the latter (as it is for me) and your partner is absolutely against a bald cat for whatever reasons (aesthetics, problematic breed as in prone to sunburn, colds and being solely an indoor-cat ) you can look at exotic shorthair cats.
They have the head shape and the large ears but also have fur.

Maybe a compromise?
No, Exotic shorthairs, also known as the Lazy-Man's Persian, aren't like Sphynx at all. If anything an Abyssinian or an Oriental would be the better choice, for both temperament and body-type.

Exotic Shorthair

Abyssinian

Oriental Shorthair

:iconthemoreyouknowplz:
If you read my correction underneath my post it was a mix up with the names, I corrected to Oriental short hair.

Sorry, for the truoble, I got the names wrong.
Sorry. I hadn't seen that. Just didn't want OP getting bad advice, that's all. :)
Well, that really depends on your relationship. It's not a yes or no answer.

I understand in this case it's really up to aesthetics, and honestly if he likes cats he's probably going to get over it being bald. It will look weird and ugly for a week or whatever, then he'll get used to it and it will just be a cat.

But aside from that-

Is it right for someone else to tell you you can or cannot have something you want (as long as you can care for it)? No.

BUT you are also in a relationship and living together. It's not your right to make someone else uncomfortable.

Imagine the issue wasn't you wanting this 'ugly' cat, it was him wanting an animal you can't stand. Say he wants, I dunno, a warthog that isn't housebroken or something. Whatever. Pick something you don't want to live with.

You can do whatever you want without worrying if you live on your own. But when you get into a situation where you are living with someone else, that changes. It may become a choice between your boyfriend and a place to live and your pet.

Me, I'd get the cat. (well, I'd get the animal in question, anyway). Because I know whether my husband is thrilled about it or not, he'll get over it. He says he can't stand animals. And we have almost 40 of them. To be fair, lots of those are rabbits and we eat them. But anyway, I know that at any part in our relationship, whether it was living together or actually married, he'd roll his eyes and sigh and that would be it unless the new animal started eating his shoes or something, at which point he would demand I train it.

But on the other hand, bringing an animal into a relationship can really cause trouble. You run two risks I can see-

The first is him feeling like you really disrespected him, and that starting relationship problems.

There are people who will do things JUST to make you mad, and you don't want to start a competition as to who can make the other person the most uncomfortable. You get that ugly cat, he gets a vicious dog...

The other problem I could see is he and the cat winding up having personality issues for whatever reason. Not wanting the cat in the first place, and not liking the way it looks, etc, he wouldn't have much incentive to work thorough problems.

Either way, it's like a ticket to be on My Cat From Hell.
If it's living in your partner's house then you absolutely need to have their agreement before buying a pet. Even if you're financing it, it'll still be in their living area too so they have a right to say what should or shouldn't be there as well as you. I wouldn't say it's controlling to not want a pet you don't like in your home, even if personally I wouldn't mind as long as I didn't have to take care of it.

Saying that, if you want another cat, can't you discuss it and see if there's a breed you both like? Maybe he just doesn't want more pets and that's the issue you should be addressing.
It's simply being selfish to call your taste in cats bad and then refuse you harmless fun for that little.
If you had some consideration for him though, you would be looking into a breed of cat you can both enjoy.
there was another cat i wanted, it was a stray (with fur lol) that we used to feed. i wanted to take him to get neutered and get shots so i could adopt him, but my boyfriend wouldnt let me. and he even liked the cat. and now we dont see it anymore and i think something happened to it :/
Outdoor cats live much shorter lives and usually die horrible deaths.
I think he doesn't actually want pets to begin with, rather than dislike hairless cats, but he allowed for the one you already have.
I can understand why some would rather not have pets.
Even if you count out the added responsibilities/inconveniences like hair on clothing/beds etc, some people don't feel comfortable with their presence, without having to be afraid of them.

It's sort of unfair to impose on someone in that circumstance, you may find it alright and fun to babysit some friend's child, but he may still not like the noise or messes or having you preoccupied with someone or something else when he might actually be jealous of attention given.