Details

Closed to new replies
December 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Medical questions about my mascot suit.

:iconfalcon-avian:
I am working as a Mascot for Verizon Wireless by dressing up as Android. While I enjoy it, I'm worried about the side effects it may be causing. The suit is about 7 pounds, give or take about 2 and is supported almost entirely by my head. As days are going by, the pain in my neck is beginning to become agonizing and I'm afraid that it may be pinching the disks in my neck and could cause long term injury. Is this something I should be worried about? Also, we have come up with a solution to divert the weight to my shoulders instead by using shoulder pad. Would this work, or would I still need a back brace of sorts to disperse the weight of the costume throughout more of my body to prevent strain? The hours I work are the following;

Sunday: 12-4
Tuesday: 12-4:30
Thursday: 12-4:30
Saturday: 11-4

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Dec 7, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
If it's hurting you, then you need to make changes. Your neck doesn't have a ton of muscle, and it's pretty easy to strain or injure it if you aren't careful. Sure, you can carry a lot of weight on your head, but it has to be balanced correctly.

I think putting a shoulder support in there would work just fine. At 7 lb it shouldn't be heavy enough to need a back support as well.
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Dec 7, 2012
Looks like it's badly designed... Time to sue and get a new job maybe?
:iconashieepants:
Ashieepants Dec 6, 2012
Yeah I'd definitely give the shoulder brace a go. You should always worry about issues with your neck, you could be pinching nerves or damaging the discs and muscles, and that's definitely not worth it.

In the meantime on your days off work, I would wrap a warm cloth around your neck to soothe muscles, try and boost any recovery that may be going on. If you have someone living with you, try and get them to give you GENTLE massages.

Makes me wonder who the hell designed it to have all the weight supported by the head, really. :/ That is so bad.
:iconredmarlin:
I was about to suggest some kind of shoulder brace until you mentioned it. That should help to distribute the weight more evenly, maybe even take it off your head completely.
Add a Comment: