Sick Dog?

Don't worry! He's going to the vet! But the soonest they can get him in isn't until the 21st D: I figured I'd see if anyone's come across this with their dogs before.

Okay well he might not be actually sick, but over the last few weeks he's developed scabs all over his sides, and he's gnawed at them so much he's getting a bald patch on both sides! I googled it and the big thing was fleas, but I've checked his fur and we have 3 cats who aren't getting fleas.

I've been rubbing the scabs down with tea tree oil to help keep them clean and keep him from gnawing(because it smells and tastes gross). Has anyone heard of something like this before?
Comments32
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I would suggest getting him a cone collar until you can take him to the vet so that he can't gnaw at the sores and make them worse. Most pet stores should have them.
one of my cats used to do that, they were called hot spots. maybe thats what your dog has. the vet gave us some stuff to put on the sores and they eventually went away.

im not sure if tea tree oil is the best thing to use, its very drying and could dry out your dogs skin..
My dog had the same or similar thing happen to her. She had ring worm. Get it from eating something contaminated. So do you control your dog's diet?
Well we give him a soup bone to eat every few days, could have been in the meat, other than that he has regular dog food.
Of course you let him outside to do his business or exercise. Mine was always guilty of eating small dead things...i always scold her, but she dose it anyway.
Is he from a hunting breed? My dog had that and apparently it's pretty common in hounds. it's also pretty easy to heal no worries ;)
He's actually a mutt and a half ^^; His dad might have been a black lab so it's entirely possible
mutt can still inherit diseases :/
either way, dont worry much, since it goes away with medicine and the fur grows back
That sounds like an allergy.

I'd suggest giving him benedryl for a few days and see if that helps- it's safe for dogs. Dose by weight- 12-25lb- 12 mg (baby dose). 25-50lb- 25mg (one adult pill) 50lb+ 50mg (2 adult pills).

Tea tree oil is great for irritation, I like to mix some lavender in it. You can also apply honey and/or aloe.
I'll try that! Thanks! :) I think it might be a reaction to the straw we put in his doghouse recently.
That could definitely do it, you never know what kind of irritants and critters can be in there.
It could be fleas (there's different types), mites, stress leading to excessive grooming (my cat is a victim of this -_-) allergies...

Have you considered looking around other vets to see if you can get a closer date?
He'll be ohk! He has a great pet owner that's why.
Why thank you! I think it might be an allergic reaction to the straw we got for his doghouse, going to give him some Benadryl, hopefully it helps :)
I have a fever/flu myself. Might be coincidence, but I just took Benydryl Lol. Well, yur welcome and hope the cute lil puppy gets well soon! :D
Oh noes! Well i hope both you and my Ollie get better XD
My dog got a giant sore hot spot, went on for a month or two, the vet didn't really help, and it turned out he was allergic to peanut butter. Of all things. So sometimes it's a really random substance.

I don't wanna give medical advice on here, but if my dogs have mild allergies/are itchy for no discernible reason, I give them Benadryl (diphenhydramine) which is generally considered safe for dogs in low doses, the guidelines for which are readily available on the internet.
Aha! I think it's a reaction to the straw we got recently for his doghouse! I bought some Benadryl today, hope it works! Thanks for the advice
Oh, I hope you've figured it out! Good luck!
Allergies perhaps? I remember when we changed my dog's dog food and he began balding around his eyes.
I think it could be a reaction to the straw we used to fill his doghouse, it fits the time the rash started
That could be it. Try removing the straw and see what happens :). Why dog was balding around his eyes due to an allergic reaction to his food the vet warned us of straw, hay, change in food, tumbleweeds, and other plants.
Maybe its a "hot spot" i've seen hotspots and this sounds almost like them.
"Redness, oozing, pain, and itchiness are hallmark signs. Hair loss is commonly present. Sometimes hair can mat over the lesion, obscuring the size and degree of the problem. These lesions can appear suddenly, and grow rapidly (hours).

It is common for an owner to notice a small area of inflamed skin in the morning (perhaps an inch or couple centimeters in diameter) and come home from work to be met with a large area the size of the palm of a hand. The dog is usually highly agitated, and will not leave the area alone. Some dogs will even growl or snap if the area is touched." - [link]

Anything like that?