Details

Closed to new replies
December 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 31
:icondorktron:
Dorktron Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Don't worry! He's going to the vet! But the soonest they can get him in isn't until the 21st D: I figured I'd see if anyone's come across this with their dogs before.

Okay well he might not be actually sick, but over the last few weeks he's developed scabs all over his sides, and he's gnawed at them so much he's getting a bald patch on both sides! I googled it and the big thing was fleas, but I've checked his fur and we have 3 cats who aren't getting fleas.

I've been rubbing the scabs down with tea tree oil to help keep them clean and keep him from gnawing(because it smells and tastes gross). Has anyone heard of something like this before?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Student General Artist
I would suggest getting him a cone collar until you can take him to the vet so that he can't gnaw at the sores and make them worse. Most pet stores should have them.
:iconkitten--mittens:
Kitten--Mittens Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
one of my cats used to do that, they were called hot spots. maybe thats what your dog has. the vet gave us some stuff to put on the sores and they eventually went away.

im not sure if tea tree oil is the best thing to use, its very drying and could dry out your dogs skin..
:iconultraraccoon:
UltraRaccoon Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My dog had the same or similar thing happen to her. She had ring worm. Get it from eating something contaminated. So do you control your dog's diet?
Dorktron Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well we give him a soup bone to eat every few days, could have been in the meat, other than that he has regular dog food.
:iconultraraccoon:
UltraRaccoon Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Of course you let him outside to do his business or exercise. Mine was always guilty of eating small dead things...i always scold her, but she dose it anyway.
:icon2lazy2talk:
2lazy2talk Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Is he from a hunting breed? My dog had that and apparently it's pretty common in hounds. it's also pretty easy to heal no worries ;)
He's actually a mutt and a half ^^; His dad might have been a black lab so it's entirely possible
:icon2lazy2talk:
2lazy2talk Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
mutt can still inherit diseases :/
either way, dont worry much, since it goes away with medicine and the fur grows back
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
That sounds like an allergy.

I'd suggest giving him benedryl for a few days and see if that helps- it's safe for dogs. Dose by weight- 12-25lb- 12 mg (baby dose). 25-50lb- 25mg (one adult pill) 50lb+ 50mg (2 adult pills).

Tea tree oil is great for irritation, I like to mix some lavender in it. You can also apply honey and/or aloe.
I'll try that! Thanks! :) I think it might be a reaction to the straw we put in his doghouse recently.
Add a Comment: