My kitten just neutered!

My 8 month old kitten was just neutered!
We pick it up tomorrow morning and I have no
idea what to do when it comes home!

I know this is a strange question, but does anyone know what I could
do to help him heal faster?

(P.S. We can not pay for the -ecollar or the pain meds...)
Comments31
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Sauté him with garlic and onions. Best meal you ever had.
Ive had about 8 cats. All of them get neutered and spayed. He'll be a little groggy for any where from a few hours to around a day or so, depending. The vets should already give him a cone to stop him licking at the stitches. He wont need pain meds, the vets will have already given him some ^_^ As for when you get him home, just do everything as normal. No need to worry. Just set him up where he usually sleeps and bob him on his bed until he comes round properly. Dont let him outside untill the stitches have healed. Literally just do everything as normal ^_^ so food and water as normal, but just hold back from keeping him running around or jumping about too much.
Thanks so much!

I did as you said and he seems to be perfectly fine.
VERY hungry, but fine!

Thank you!
It's a perfectly normal things and they heal up really fast. Just don't let him out in a couple of days, and make sure he doesn't lick the "wound" - or whatever to call it - too much.

I've never heard of ANYONE giving pain meds to their cats after being neutered, so I don't think that would be a problem. Just relax and make sure that if something looks strange (stranger then when you picked him up from the vets) contact the vets again.
Thank you!
It has really helped me calm a bit.

I thought I was being a horrible mommy for not getting
the meds...

You won't be giving him pain meds after he's had surgery?
No we didn't give him any.
I felt guilty for not having enough to buy them,
but when we got home he stretched and had a snooze on
his chair.

He seemed fine, just a little groggy from the anesthesia.
It's good that he got some sleep, and if he's eating too, it should be al-right.
Don't feel too bad. Fortunently neutering in male cats is a very simple procedure. Even more so than in a dog.

He may be a bit sore after the anesthestics and meds ware off but it shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure to keep him quiet and keep him from jumping too much. Too much acitivty after the surgery might cause some swelling and that would make me more uncomfortable.

Otherwise he should do just fine.
Thank you! This is very helpful!

My kitty seems more hyper during the night, what
should I do then? :/
Thanks to everyone who has given me advice on what to expect!
My kitty is doing so much better than I thought.

I have three male cats. One got neutered when he was already about 2 years old. The others got neutered before they turned a year old. It was really simple and they didn't seem to be in pain because the meds from the surgery still lingered for a while. The stitches did itch later though, so watch your kitty and make sure that he does not rip the stitches out. When the wound starts to heal, the stitches will mostly be pushed out by his body. Anything stitches over after the healing process may eventually fall out once the wound is completely dry/healed.

Other than that, just expect him to be the same old kitten that you had before he was neutered ^_^
This is great! Thank you so much! <3
I got my kitten fixed at 6 months, and the surgery is so simple that he didn't even need stitches. The vet told me to try and keep him from running and jumping too much and to make sure he wasn't licking or chewing that spot. The first thing they need is water, since the surgery and drugs and stuff make them very thirsty. Food they'll eat later if they want it.

But I mean, they don't even notice it I don't think. My kitten was his usual insane self within a day of bringing him home.
Aww he was a baby!

Actually, the first think my kitty did was drink
like there was no tomorrow, haha.
How long did you wait for him to eat?

Aww, did he act different because of the surgery?
He was eating the next day. He didn't act any different once the drugs wore off.
Oh good! My kitty is trying to tear through his
kibble box.. ;v;
You made a good choice by getting him neutered.

Unfortunately, if you can't get a collar, there's nothing else you can really do except keep an eye on him. Make sure he isn't licking or biting the area too much, and definitely keep an eye out for infections. I wouldn't worry too much about pain meds, my cat wasn't given any and he seemed to by fine (considering) and healed relatively quickly.
Thank you very much for the tips!
"How long did it take your kitty to heal
and how did you know?

Did he eat anything when he came home?
I'm not sure how long it took to fully heal, probably a few weeks. We took the collar off in only a day or two because it was really making him angry. I just kept an eye on him while he would clean himself to make sure he didn't excessively irritate the area.

I think we left some food out for him and he ate a bit of dry food after he came home, and began eating regularly within a couple of days. He took it like a champ, even though apparently he was an asshole to the vets and tried to bite them a lot, lol. :)
I see.

Aww its good he took it so well!
So you fed him right away?
My kitty is really hungry, but I'm scared he might
throw up. >.<

Haha aww his revenge xD
We always leave dry food out for him; he eats when he wants to eat.