Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 45

How the hell do you get a job anymore?

:iconrobotrabbit:
RobotRabbit Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've been trying for a long time. The only experience I have is a year of volunteer work, so that sure does not help. I feel like I do pretty well in my interviews, I've had a lot of people who have hired before look over my resume and cover letters, and I also call in to follow up. I only apply at places that say not experience necessary, but I'm competing with people 2-3 years younger then me with experience. Maybe I'm just unlikable. I have no idea what to do at this point.

Any advice or tips is appreciated. v.v;

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
I can honestly tell you that it is simply about who you know. Ask a friend to bother their boss and get you a job.
RobotRabbit Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That's the problem for me, I hardly know anyone here. :/
:iconbeesull:
BeeSull Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
I would stop aiming so low. :no: You say that you've volunteered before, well who for? Try to get a job with them. If they're a smaller organization without much hiring potential then go volunteer for a BIG organization that is hiring massively. Get a leg in. That is my advice. :nod:
RobotRabbit Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well I don't think it's "aiming low," if people with more experience then me are applying for the same "crappy" jobs as me. I volunteered at a zoo, and you need a LOT of experience to even get a chance to work there. Of course, volunteering is a huge advantage, and a great majority of the time the new people they higher volunteered there for years, but that won't suffice alone.
BeeSull Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
I agree with you. You get a job where you can get a job. There is nothing shameful about supporting yourself through hard, and often under appreciated, work. :nod:

This is more what I was commenting on, "I only apply at places that say no experience necessary." Why? Volunteer experience IS experience!

How long did you volunteer at the Zoo? Did you meet anyone there who could help you get in? If not, maybe you didn't volunteer there long enough or regularly enough. I'm not suggesting that you'll suddenly become a Zoo Keeper or an Animal Behaviorist. However, I think it's incredibly possible for you to sell tickets, work at a concession stand, the gift shoppe, or if you're really lucky maybe even help in some very minuscule way with the animals daily routines. (Even if it's only part-time, a few hours a week it will help you get a better job.)

If you don't think that there is any chance of you getting in at the Zoo, well then volunteer somewhere that you do think you'll be able to get in at eventually! Make sure that you ask them to teach you tasks that will be useful to you in your future job search.

GOOD LUCK!!! TONS OF IT!!! I wasn't trying to be rude or derogatory. I just get the sense from your original post and comments that you might be under selling yourself even to yourself! (Something we've all probably been guilty of at one time or another.)
RobotRabbit Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I do forget that it is customer service sometimes. v.v; I'm also going to start volunteering at a retirement home with meals, so that's good, too.

Thank-you. :3
BeeSull Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Yep! Customer Service is GREAT experience for getting a job too! :D

Aw! Old people rule! I can't wait to be old, not middle aged though LOL. I'm excited to be REALLY old. I bet those old people will keep you on your toes! :)

Good luck!!!! ;)
:icondannihutch:
DanniHutch Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's like a paradox. In some places (like near where I live) you have to have experience to get a job, but to get experience you need a job. I know a lot of people who look and look but never get hired, and some who just walk in and get the job. Idk why people do that, but I am just lucky my mom needed help and her company hired me as a part-time intern for her so I have a summer job while I am in college.
RobotRabbit Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I know. >.> I'm trying to not get too discouraged, though. I mean part of it is definitely me; I've always felt inferior to everyone else, especially girls my own age. I'm sure this comes through in my body language. Between me and a girl with sparkly personality, they will obviously pick her. And even with all of that aside, everyone I know who got their first job with no prior experience got it because they knew the owners or workers some how. I don't really know how to fix my personality.
:icondannihutch:
DanniHutch Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Just keep trying, also I love your icon. You shall recieve a llama for it :P
Add a Comment: