Convince me to stop wasting time and study please

So it is the week before finals, I am camping in the library (literally. There is a competition at school and my friends and I are going all out with a cardboard campfire nad everything) so I can be right where I need to study. Problem is, I can't stop getting distracted by the interwebs. It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't need the internet do do some of my homework (stupid blackboard) and I am borderline failing my classes and really need to do well on finals. How can I motivate myself in a healthy way (i.e. no food rewards)? Any input is appreciated.
Comments43
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
le Internet. big distraction. you aint le only one.

I get distracted all the time. What I do is I have this extension on Chrome called "StayFocused". It allows you to enter in the sites you want to be allowed and the sites you don't want to be allowed. Then theres a time limit for the not allowed sites and yeah. See for yourself.

If you don't use Chrome, then the best I can say is to just have some self-discipline. Yep that's all I have to say :)
Study with a more serious friend. Agree to let them slap you with a ruler if you drift off into space. Also, give yourself time for breaks. Say, watch a youtube video after every so many pages of reading or after so many math problems. Time yourself so you don't spend too much time online.

Don't spend all day one topic. Do a little of one subject and then switch to a different class.
I can study mechanics for 3 hours without a break, but my mind drifts if I read physics for more than 15 minutes. So I mix them up. :)

Tell yourself, today I will do x, y, and z. If I get done, I'm not touching anything else! Tomorrow, I'll look at a, b, and c. Set short term goals if your attention span is low. :P

I study for finals in my quiet room, alone, with video game music, but some people get restless without enough noise around them. So make sure you're studying in an environment that's good for you. Find out what keeps you motivated.
When you find the answer, let me know, because I need to finish some papers and stuff for the end of my classes lol
:icontwillyane: suggested coldturkey, and that is working really well for me, but if you have anything bookmarked it can go around the system.
yeah its a program which blocks the sites for a period of time and you can't access them.
Fun times... though I'd be too tempted to turn the program off. =.=
That's the thing. You can't and if you try it cuts off the sites for like a week.
whaaaaat?! That's crazy!
View all replies
Maybe make a bet with a friend or family member that they'll take you out to lunch or a concert if you get all A's, or something to that effect. Or have them change your passwords to various websites that you visit (i.e. dA) and not change them back until winter break.
Put the webpages you usually go to on a coldturkey ([link]) for as long time as you think you need (:
That way you won't be able to go on deviantart, tumblr, youtube or whatever you've blocked for a set amount of time.
A few people in my class use this for the same reason as you're talking about. c:
Motivate yourself, you lazy fuck. :pat:
Thanks. I found a method that seems to be working so fingers crossed :)
I can vaguely see your logic in making this thread, but honestly it's just going to be another reason for you to look at websites that aren't related to your work.

Motivate yourself to study. Nobody here will be able to do it for you. Force yourself not to look at things that aren't related. Aren't you paying for your degree? The waste of money should really be enough to convince you.

If it's not, maybe further education isn't the best option for you and you should look at going straight into work. No point shelling out a load of money for a shit degree that won't get you very far; better just to start making money now.
You have a point. I just know I am better than a straight into the workforce job (not in a 'I think I'm better than you' way, but in a 'I want to do my best' way) and I don't think I could forgive myself if I gave up.
Use that to motivate yourself then. If you come out of this course with a shitty grade, you will:

1. Have wasted time on education that could have been spent starting up the career ladder.

2. Have wasted money on education when you could have been earning it.

3. Have a degree that won't make you stand out from the crowd in the slightest so you'll probably end up having to get a 'straight into the workforce' job anyway.

I'm speaking as a fellow unmotivated person here. The only person who suffers from our laziness is ourselves. Just suck it up and get working and then you have the rest of your life to muck about on the internet.
Thanks. I am using this method and it is working. Just the thought of being able to say that I did it seems to get me off the internet (I am waiting for a class to start now and that's why I am on here, but I will be off soon). I appreciate your advice.
I did my own exam today so hopefully following my own advice worked.

In the end, the only person that can really motivate you is yourself =) be harsh, be your own worse critic, and you can ease off as much as you like once your exams are over.
You want to be a teacher and you can't even study? :rofl: No wonder the education system in our country is considered poor.
I'm just easily distracted XD. I know all the material so the word 'study' is more 'complete required 10 page study guide professor handed out'
That doesn't sound so bad. You should be able to do that in an hour or so. So far, I have a 15 page paper on means of communicating the threat of Drosophila suzukii to those in Central Michigan due tomorrow. And do a presentation on it which takes place in 7 minutes or less. And another presentation on it later on that day about the problem more generally.
Wow. I have 2 history papers that are late. They are supposed to be about the Cuban Revolution, its just I hate that time period and the parameters for the research are ridiculous so I kept falling asleep while researching. But I just found out I'm not failing a course I thought I was so I feel a whole lot better about the situation :)And good luck on your paper, sounds like an interesting topic.
Then you're a lazy fucker, why the HELL would we have sympathy from someone who can't prioritize? I hope you don't become a teacher.
Excuse my inner teacher, but I think you meant 'sympathy for someone who can't prioritize', not 'sympathy from someone who can't prioritize'.

Also, a better choice would be 'should', not 'would'.