Closed to new replies
December 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 42

Convince me to stop wasting time and study please

:icondannihutch:
DanniHutch Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So it is the week before finals, I am camping in the library (literally. There is a competition at school and my friends and I are going all out with a cardboard campfire nad everything) so I can be right where I need to study. Problem is, I can't stop getting distracted by the interwebs. It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't need the internet do do some of my homework (stupid blackboard) and I am borderline failing my classes and really need to do well on finals. How can I motivate myself in a healthy way (i.e. no food rewards)? Any input is appreciated.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconxtoribird:
xToriBird Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
le Internet. big distraction. you aint le only one.

I get distracted all the time. What I do is I have this extension on Chrome called "StayFocused". It allows you to enter in the sites you want to be allowed and the sites you don't want to be allowed. Then theres a time limit for the not allowed sites and yeah. See for yourself.

If you don't use Chrome, then the best I can say is to just have some self-discipline. Yep that's all I have to say :)
:iconceibita:
Study with a more serious friend. Agree to let them slap you with a ruler if you drift off into space. Also, give yourself time for breaks. Say, watch a youtube video after every so many pages of reading or after so many math problems. Time yourself so you don't spend too much time online.

Don't spend all day one topic. Do a little of one subject and then switch to a different class.
I can study mechanics for 3 hours without a break, but my mind drifts if I read physics for more than 15 minutes. So I mix them up. :)

Tell yourself, today I will do x, y, and z. If I get done, I'm not touching anything else! Tomorrow, I'll look at a, b, and c. Set short term goals if your attention span is low. :P

I study for finals in my quiet room, alone, with video game music, but some people get restless without enough noise around them. So make sure you're studying in an environment that's good for you. Find out what keeps you motivated.
:iconsolarlunix:
SolarLunix Dec 5, 2012   Traditional Artist
When you find the answer, let me know, because I need to finish some papers and stuff for the end of my classes lol
DanniHutch Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:icontwillyane: suggested coldturkey, and that is working really well for me, but if you have anything bookmarked it can go around the system.
coldturkey?
yeah its a program which blocks the sites for a period of time and you can't access them.
Fun times... though I'd be too tempted to turn the program off. =.=
That's the thing. You can't and if you try it cuts off the sites for like a week.
whaaaaat?! That's crazy!
I know. But it works. Except for DA, because the url changes every page, so it blocks the homepage, but you can see everything else.
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: