Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 1, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Not getting paid what they said for babysitting..

:iconcoffeebuns:
CoffeeBuns Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
I don't know how to bring up the issue.

I'm 19 and I baby sit a 5 year old and sometimes a 13 year old that they don't trust to watch the 5 year old lol..They offered to pay me $15/hr and I never babysat before ( I told them that too ) so I don't know what the price range for that stuff is so I agreed.

The thing is i get excited after babysitting all night or all day and I add up how much it is and then when they eventually pay..like a week later I count it and it is only like half of what they said. One time they owed me $205 and they only paid me $120. Today they owed me for 8 hours and they only paid me for 3 and said they owe me $10 ( its actually more than that lol..) and I doubt i'll ever get that $10. They also call me last minute quite a lot. Like within hour's notice.

My mom says they should be paying me when they walk in the door but instead it is more of a " We will pay you on friday." friday comes and they forgot to go to the bank. etc.

It is rather disappointing. They are nice people and I'm too nice to say something. I mean, I'm willing to do it at a lower wage, but I mean..if you say you are going to pay a certain price/hr then at least do it... :/ I don't know how to bring up the issue with them. I'm really quiet and shy. I could always text them, but i feel like that might be a bad way to go about it. Blah.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsimplylemie:
SimplyLemie Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
Don't help them more until they agree to pay what they told you. It shouldn't be all on their condition, right?

Though to make you feel better I can share a horror story:

When my mum was younger (I think about 16 or so maybe even younger) she got to babysit a neighbors kid. Thing is... they don't come back when they said they would... and not later either. Since this was before mobile phones and so she couldn't get a hold of them so she had to bring the kid home to her parents. The next day, when the parents got home she could finally get a hold of them. I think it was something about that both of them expected the other parent to get home to take care of the kid. So, there is worse things out there than not getting paid enough ;)
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
'They are nice people and I'm too nice to say something.'

Then you are out of luck. Either you confront them, or you accept it and live with it. This is the point at which it stops becoming their fault and becomes yours- you see the problem. If you don't want to fix it, then there's nothing that anybody can do.

So if you don't want to say anything, then learn to live with it.

I used to teach riding professionally, and I'd occasionally come up with a situation like this. After some experimentation, unfortunately, I found out that the only way to get treated well is to be willing to be really nasty. But only if they make you.

Here's what you do:

First off, you need to make sure that they understand that you are doing this because THEY ARE NOT PAYING YOU WHAT YOU AGREED ON. They chose not to meet their end of the agreement, so you're going to have to do it for them. Be nice about it, you don't have to use harsh language, but be firm.

1. Present them with a bill
2. Tell them, and in writing, that from now on due to their poor payment history you will only babysit if you are paid before the job.
3. Write up a contract that states your pay rate and when the money is due, as well as how long beforehand they must notify you that they need you.
4. Make a time sheet that both of you must sign logging your hours. With a contract and a time sheet you can legally pursue them for the money.
5. If they say no, walk out and let them find another sitter.
:iconanaliasunknown:
AnAliasUnknown Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
I can understand not wanting to be confrontational about it, but try to be firmer about it. Tell them to either pay you as soon as they get home (with the amount that is agreed about previously), or you might not be able to babysit for them anymore. Or something like that.
:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Filmographer
Personally, I think you're being treated like a carpet. Just because you're 19, doesn't make you any less of an adult and they should treat you as such. Next time they call you for babysitting, I'd outright refuse until they pay up.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist
Next time they ask you to babysit tell them you'll only do it if they pay the money they owe you when you get there and to get paid for that night when they get back. If they don't have the money when you get there then leave.
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Yeah, you have to tell them that you need the money or you're not babysitting anymore. Calling an hour before they need you in unacceptable too. They can't say they're paying you $15/hr and then not give it to you. Ask for it when they call next time and if they don't have it, don't go to their house. They got enough free labour out of you.
:iconfelissauria:
Felissauria Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
You're 19. Get a real job that will pay you properly? It's a complete waste of time babysitting for those dicks if they're not willing to pay you for your time. Grow some balls and ask for the money they owe you, or you won't babysit for them every again, and might even spread around town that they're cheap fucks. :laughing:
:iconcoffeebuns:
CoffeeBuns Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
if i had transportation I would have a regular job lol
:iconsteph-neechangone:
Steph-neechanGone Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I think just adressing them directly would be the best. Also, 15 dollars an hour is a LOT for babysitting XD normal prices are a LOT lower, if they end up giving you actually 15 dollars an hour after talking with them that's very lucky XD
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional General Artist
Either get the money first or stop babysitting for them because they're clearly unreliable and you're doing the work you're asked to do, you should be getting paid what was agreed on.
Add a Comment: