Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 1, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 44

Couldn't help a stray kitten. Feeling horrible.

:iconstephromancy:
Stephromancy Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
This small black kitten rushed up to me when I stepped out of my apartment this morning. He looked hungry and he had an infection, diarrhea leaked out of him constantly. He kept trying to rub up against me and I stayed a while petting him before I went to the store. He looked happy when I wrapped my hands around him and warmed him up (it's winter and the ground is frozen and cold). When I started walking he followed me all the way to the store and people kept telling me he was a cute cat and asking me if he was mine.

I couldn't feed him or help him with his infection. My landlord has already been giving me crap about taking in one cat who was going to be euthanized, I couldn't risk feeding him and having him hang around my apartment constantly. My own cat is a semi-outside cat and I didn't want to create trouble with the two of them either. I didn't know what I could have done to help but I chose to let him go and not risk making myself or my cat sick by touching him too much. I already had to clean the carpet on my porch because he was leaking all over it.

I'm trying to think about other stuff and keep myself distracted but I keep thinking about the kitten. I love cats a lot, I've had them my whole life. I feel like he came to me for help and I turned him down, even though in the back of my mind I know I did the right thing to protect my own kitten and my apartment. I'm barely paying the bills and have no money to spend on vet bills either.

Just had to get this off my chest. I feel so heartbroken for this cat. To think there are dozens like him out there... >:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondakki-dono:
dakki-dono Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Professional General Artist
Once I found a cat by a road that was in bad, bad shape. I don't know if it got hit or was sick or what. I thought it was dead until it tried to move. I looked around, flabbergasted. I was a few blocks from my house (on foot) and only had a small purse on me. I talked to it softly and stood up and looked around. My cell was dying. I called my mom and she told me to come home and call the local vet's office for advice. As I hung up, a burly dude covered in tattoos pulled up. The first words out of his mouth were, "Is the cat okay?"
He got out and of course I was wary, but it was obvious he was seriously worried about this cat. I told him about my plan and he was skeptical. He told me he could pick up a cat carrier and drive me to the vet but I was like, yeah, no, not getting in a strange dude's car.
I told him I was going to call the vet and bring it in when I got home and he nodded solemnly. Neither of us wanted to leave it there, but reluctantly parted ways.

I got home and called the vet, mentioning the street names. The woman on the other end told me that a man had brought it in already and I was so happy. He really couldn't wait. Apparently he had gone back and wrapped it in a jacket he had in his car and brought it to the vet.

You can't save every animal but we're all caught in situations where we can only do so much. And sometimes you need to leave the job for somebody else.
You did what you had to, and no one should be shaming you for it. No Kill shelters get full---not many understand that. We caught 4 kittens in our backyard and all the shelters turned us away. You can't just drop animals off at every one. And you don't always have the time or money to get them to one.

I, for one, do not blame you. You couldn't be that kitten's angel, but it's not your job to be ready to be it at a moment's notice. People can flame you about things not being as important as a life, but I say no one can judge until they've been in your position.
Stephromancy Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Hey Dakki, glad to see you're still around. Thanks for the support.

People have judged me like I haven't thought about the options before making my decision but reality is, sadly, not always as pretty as you wish it could be. I had to make a choice, not an easy one but I had to make it. I chose to keep my own cat (and myself and my living space) safe and to avoid feeding the sick kitten, part of the treatment for an infection like he had is a strict specific diet and I could have made it worse by feeding him. Those are all things I thought about while I was petting him and warming him up and he was leaking everywhere on my porch carpet. I knew the shelter near me was full and I had no way to take him anywhere, I don't own a car and don't know anyone who owns one either. I could either take him in or leave him outside.

Whether or not people are able to accept the fact that sacrifices have to happen in life is out of my hands, I made the thread to take it off my chest but I don't expect people to actually understand the situation. Having two sick kittens on my hands if my own cat and the sick cat had come in contact with each other would have been the worst thing ever and I wouldn't have been able to afford treatment for either of them. I figured one cat having an infection was better than two, I made that choice out of love for the cat I already have.
:iconthe-smut-peddler:
The-Smut-Peddler Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
I think what you did was the right thing to do given the situation. Reality is sometimes hard to swallow, but hey, it's what happens. I understand what you mean about shelters that have waiting lists or simply refuse to take in more than they have. They are a business after all, they can't take them all either, and they have regulations and guidelines to follow as well. I'm sorry you're catching flack for doing what any responsible person would do in the same situation. I just want you know, no matter what people say to you, you did the right thing. Feeling that hurt over that little animal makes you a good person who obviously is selfless and caring. I hope someday you look back on this and hold your head up high knowing you're a sweet and kind person. ^___^ Sorry for the bit of a rant but I felt you might need that pointed out!

Keep being you!
Stay beautiful!
~Levi
:iconmidnyte-wolf:
Midnyte-Wolf Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Have you asked around, maybe? Seen if there's anyone else willing to adopt and take care of it? Like any of the people at the store?
:iconbryosgirl:
bryosgirl Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I know it's not a favorable, but *if* whatever is wrong with the kitten is terminal, it may actually be more humane to euthanize the kitten, rather than allow it to die slowly and potentially infect any other animals in the area.

Another option, as was mentioned below, would be to see if there are any no-kill shelters within commuting distance that would be able and willing to take the kitten in.

It's really horrible when you're faced with this kind of situation. I have a soft spot for dogs, but right now it would be impossible for my husband and I to take one in, so if we were in your position, we would either have to find someone to take him/her in, or else bite the bullet. :(
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
know it's not a favorable, but *if* whatever is wrong with the kitten is terminal, it may actually be more humane to euthanize the kitten, rather than allow it to die slowly and potentially infect any other animals in the area.

THIS. I really don't understand how people would rather animals suffer and possibly hurt other animals :S
:iconanaliasunknown:
AnAliasUnknown Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
While I understand that you weren't able to physically take the kitten in for a variety of understandable reasons, I don't understand why you didn't think about looking for a local shelter or animal control to deal with the situation? If you couldn't physically take the kitten there, could you have found someone who could? If you happen to encounter the kitten again, I would consider looking into those options. Otherwise, we can only hope that someone else will be able to do the right thing.
Stephromancy Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
I've tried actually, with another kitten before this one. The shelters around where I live are all full and they can't take any more cats in. There was another stray kitten I tried to help the same way and they couldn't take it. They told me that the only option I had was to send it to a clinic where they would euthanize it and I didn't want to do that.
:iconanaliasunknown:
AnAliasUnknown Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
:hmm: I don't suppose you could have thought of anyone who might be able to take care of the kitten? I would check the shelters again in the off-chance you see the kitten again, but it does sound like an alternative would have to be in order.
:iconlabcreatedruby:
LabCreatedRuby Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
If you encounter the kitten again, find a cardboard box or confine it to your bathtub or something, then call Animal Control to come pick it up. You only have to hold it for the time it takes them to arrive, and then once they take it, it's their responsibility to deal with. You don't have to go anywhere or pay any money.
Add a Comment: