Alcoholism Withdrawals

Okay, so my dad's been drinking a bottle of beer a day ( it's a little taller than an Ipod touch and as wide as your palm)
I know that's bad and he's under alcoholism. It's been about 2 years since he's started to drink this heavy since we moved into this new house.

I really want to help my dad to stop drinking so goddamn much, and i might be able to convince him to stop.

But then there's withdrawals. If he suddenly stops drinking, it could be fatal for him.

What should I do?
I don't have enough money for him to visit the doctor nor would my dad go to the doctor or any alcohol control group or facility or rehabilitation centers.

Can I help my dad on my own?

Can I tell him to drink 1 full bottle and then reduce the amount every day?

I'm reading about this on a lot of sites, and i'm still not sure what to do. please help if you can, would be appreciated.
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
just tell him if he continues drinking he risks getting cirrhosis of the liver which is not pretty and usually fatal. And make sure you tell him you couldn't stand to be without him. The choice will be his. But be aware that alcoholism is a disease. Most of the drinkers know it is bad for them, the same as cigarettes, but both can be addicting. I think AA could be of assistance. It is free I believe. It would be nice if you supported him by offering to go to the meeting with him. You may learn a few things too.
You don't need to go to a doctor or counsellor to get help. There are a lot of resources available for friends and family members who can't get their addicted loved ones to get help.
[link] and [link] both provide online group sessions, so that friends and families of alcoholic can share tips and information. It's completely free, and since it's online your parents don't need to know about it.
[link] The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence has a very good hotline and a lot of connections. They're good at helping family members connect with highly qualified advisors so that you can get strong, personalised advice on how to intervene even if you can't travel or pay money.
And of course, if you have a school councillor, they're required by law to have information on alcohol and drug addition resources in your area, and to go through training on how to help kids your age deal with alcoholic family members.
There's really not much you can do to help him unless he realizes that he has a problem. Has he gotten to that point yet?
Not really, though he kept telling me doesn't want to stop.
No you shouldn't nor really can do it alone.
Your dad can go into shock and die from sudden withdrawals.
Defiantly invest in rehab because his life is worth more than bills.

Also, does he even want help? Did he tell you specifically that he wants to quit?
He told me he doesn't want to stop, nor get help from anyone if he decides he wants to stop.
If he doesn't want help then you can't help him at all.
now you see, that's another problem.
If he doesn't quit, it might ruin his health and I don't want that to happen.
Its down right impossible to help people who 1. refuse help 2. dont think they need it.
Organize an intervention.
A bottle of beer? That's the equivalent of having a glass of wine with dinner. Are you sure you don't mean a bottle of hard liquor?
Well, it says "whiskey" so I'm not sure if it is hard liquor or not.
Whiskey isn't beer. It's much more potent. Going cold-turkey on a habit like that could definitely lead to withdrawals. I'd ask a health professional what to do rather than random people on the Internet.