Eating disorders

Me and one of my friends are doing a project about eatingdisorders, anorexia, bulimia and the other kinds. But our 'subject' is 'borders/boundaries" and because of that it has to have something to do with boundaries.

When are you sick and need help, and when are you just a bit too thin?
Have you ever had am eating disorder, if yes when/did you feel sick?
Basically when do you think a person is sick of an eating disorder?

If you would take a little time to tell us about your (or others) eating disorder, or thoughts upon it, we would be grateful.

Have a nice day!

Andrea and Mqvza
Comments5
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I am never too thin. I very slowly and gradually became more and more obsessed with my body image over the last two years. First I started restricting my diet and became more obsessed with my weight and the amount of food I ate in a day. I'm slightly underweight now (98lbs) but still not "thin enough" and it took me two years to realise I was "sick" (and to think it all started with my mum telling me I had a "Homer Simpson belly" >:I)
I'll let you know right now that you don't need to be underweight to have an eating disorder. I've lost 45 pounds in less than a year, and I'm still losing weight (I was only chubby before, not fat, and I don't need to lose any more weight but I am). It's really unhealthy to lose that much weight so quickly, without exercising. I just super controlled my portions, and I don't know what to do at this point. I'm not "sick" yet, but I have zero muscle mass. I've lost muscle and fat. If I keep losing weight, I don't know what I'll do.
The closest to an eating disorder I've ever had was being slightly underweight by about 3-5 pounds. But then it swung all the way back to normal weight once I started actually eating lunch at school and went into weight lifting. I didn't stop eating because of any fear of my weight (though interesting enough, It was right after the worst of my problems in junior high it started), I simply stopped eating because my friends didn't get lunch, and I hung out with them instead. My eating habits are very flexible, as I have been able to go from eating a lot to eating very little and not having much problem with it.

As =Self-Epidemic says, it's not being too thin that signals an eating disorder, many people can legitimately be overweight, and plenty are at a healthy weight. It's mostly only anorexics who become extremely skinny, bulimics can be pretty much anywhere on the weight scale. I'm trying to understand what you mean by "sick of an eating disorder", if you mean the literal way or being so fed up with it that you want to get help. Many people who have eating disorders have a severely warped body image, and don't often want people to know what they are doing to lose weight. I know a girl who said she looked fat, and she was not only thinner than I was, but my other lab partner (who is a bit pudgy) was also here.

Idk, just make sure to look up the common misconceptions of eating disorders first so you know what you're talking about. Most of it is the mentality of thinking you're fat, not the actual weight itself.
Being "thin" isn't the problem. its the mentality. Its like depression, or any other mental illness. A big issue with EDs is that people just think, oh you aren't skinny, you can't have one. Thats not true, in many cases Bulimia is incredibly damaging, but also a "normal" weight. As you eat and then throw up/use any method to remove that food.

Annorexia is much more obvious, there are only so many lies of feeling ill or already eaten you can get away with, its much slower and less damaging than Bulimia, as Bulimia tears up the throat, ruptures the stomach and can give you kidney failure. Not eating is much slower, a very very slow process and takes much longer for it to start giving you "storms". Where your head goes black when you stand up, or use energy.

With ED, you have to consider it like depression, though, usually more damaging. Its like your mind isn't clear any more, you have one focus, food. Its an obsession, when you don't eat, you're thinking about it, when you do, you hate yourself, punish yourself by any means possible. You don't deserve food, and you don't need it. Your mind really does start to, break up, that mentality, that clear process disappears. Its much more damaging than a few girls who want to lose a few pounds so don't eat dinner for 2 days.