At what point should I just give up?

OK, so first of all I joined Deviantart today, so my profile is blank.

For my entire life, I have strived to be different, mainstream society has always been a repellant for me, rather than a source of acceptance.

I'm one of those people with the black spiky hair, and the "screamo" music, and my entire life, thats who I've tried to be, my jeans are tight, and my band shirts are worn, thats just how I feel comfortable.

See, I live in Australia, the cultural wasteland of the world, schools have uniforms, and individuality might as well be banned. however, I'm a smart kid, I get good marks, so teachers let me off for my hair, it's not TOO extreme after all. but lately, the bullying has been getting to me, my mother always said "You can dye your hair black, but if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen", and with that, my resilience was somewhat boosted. But, with short hair "in" now, And myself becoming more noticeable amongst the common mainstream crowd, people are beginning to single me out, and it makes me feel like absolute crap.

My family doesn't like it either, I deal constantly with my dad's disapproval, and my 18 year old sister's tedious mocking. I use to use my house as a refuge, where the bullying would stop, but not anymore, it just keeps on rolling.

Last wednesday, before I went to school, I was doing my hair, and had a mental breakdown, this is the end of my second last year of schooling, and I just wanted people to leave me alone, so I could focus on my exams. with this breakdown, I cut all my hair off, it's short now, and while the bullying has slowed a little bit, I can't help but feeling that it's all too much, it feels like I've just been broken down until I had no will to try and be different.

Typing this down, I realise it doesn't sound like a huge problem, I have gone through worse, but I just feel like I've been robbed of my identity. All I want to know is, should I put my safety first, and just be like everyone else, or should I live on comfortable as who I am, but having to deal with people that don't feel the same?

I appreciate ANY comments that come my way, or even just an opinion.

Thanks!

-Melancholymassachrist.
Comments53
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
A couple suggestions... feel free to take my advice or leave it.

1) Stop listening to the screamo music. It is toxic and damaging to your spirit. Im not just picking on screamo music here. Im picking on ALL music. Rock, rap, pop, etc. All of it is just crap. Designed to rot your brain and damage your soul. I used to be a listener of hardcore death rock type music and gengsta rap. And I ended up angry and depressed and suicidal all the time... and with a very low opinion of women. The exact subliminal crap those types of music fed my brain.

Instead... listen to instrumental music designed to get your head relaxed and make you more spiritual. That or some of those "praise Jesus" music.

2) Never give up. Be strong. There is more to life than this. Trust me I had a bad life. Turned it around my friend. Cheers. :)
Be comfortable with yourself, and be yourself. The world is a big place the further you travel. Those who don't feel the same as you will find other places to go. The tricky part is how to be yourself without elbowing and stepping on the toes of everyone around you. So you're going your way, but you're big, and you're kind, and you can embrace differences along the way.
Well to me it sounds like you're so upset with the "mainstream", that you'd do almost everything to set yourself apart. To some degree I agree with that, since I fit that description a lot, too. But it also sounds like you were focussed so much on always doing the opposite of everyone else, that you lost yourself in the middle of it.

I mean, what is it that YOU really want (to be)? Do you really always have to be that extreme or is there some stuff of the mainstream that you're actually ok with?
Because look, there is no "mainstream". It's an abstract term, we're all just people. True, there are always majorities, supersticious bullshit or just plain assholes. But it's never as black and white as you may think. I met some people that always seemed very supersticious to me and in fact they were very smart people with interesting ideas. They just play a role because that's their way to protect themselves. You can never know, but that's another subject. Of course there will be always someone who's not ok with it, that will never stop. But then tell them to fuck them. Who are they to tell you who or what you have to be? If they need to attack someone else like this, it's just a sign that they need this to feel fine by themselves. And that's something I can only feel pity for. In fact no, not even that.

Perhaps it might help you to think about this:
Why do you put yourself under so much pressure? You don't have to be different all the time, just be yourself in the way you are happy with. That is what makes the difference.
If you don't want to be mainstream, don't get upset if your not in the "it crowd" (that's mainstream). I think, if being different is really wrecking you to the point of mental breakdowns, take it easy and try something new - something ordinary and simple. You don't have to try to be unique. Really, everyone is different. Everyone, just look around you. Something about people's personality or way of talk, or dress, or hair, or taste is different, and they've made a certain name for themselves. You don't have to try too hard.
First of all, if Australia is the cultural wasteland of the world, I can only imagine what that makes the US. Secondly, you make a conscious decision to try to stand out from the crowd (nothing wrong with that), yet you get butthurt when people start to single you out. I know that sounds a bit harsh but what did you expect was going to happen? And again, I don't want to sound like a douche bag or anything, but screamo music, and tight jeans are hardly underground, and unless you have been living under a rock for the past ten years then you would know how much that emo shit can make you a target for people.

My advice would be to own up to your new status. Because the way I see it, your only being picked on, not because of your personality, or your beliefs or anything, but because of the way you are dressed, which, unlike the aforementioned things, can be easily fixed with a simple wardrobe change. As a person who has been made fun of and excluded from things for most of my life, despite the fact that I dress like everyone else, I can honestly tell you that you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
Personally, my personality is to never give up.

If you don't achieve your dream, then your life is worthless. If you live your life the way OTHER people want you to, what's the whole point of your existence? It might as well be all the other people living two lives, theirs, and then yours. As long as you're happy with yourself, everyone else can go fuck themselves. You can only care so much about other people's views of you before you realize that there's no way you can please everyone, though you do know what will make you happy for sure.
You asked for the attention & now you have it. Deal with it. And there's a lot of people who dress and act like you everywhere. maybe not as much in australia. but there's still people like that. so you cant say you are your own individual if you're subconsciously following a fad. just saying. you might grow out of it, you may not. if you possibly think you aren't, prepare yourself for more negative attention.
I've learned that you're going do deal with people who don't like you whether you try to blend in or not. I went through that in high school. Because I was different and because I did what I wanted with my outer and inner-self, I was isolated somewhat by the more "mainstream" crowd. But, because I didn't change no matter what people said or did to me, I got respect and acceptance from the people who mattered, which are the really good friends I have today. So, I say: live on the way YOU want to live on. At the end of the day, you weren't born to satisfy anyone but yourself. If people talk crap about you, you can do two things: 1) Ignore them and pretend they don't exist (my favorite method) or 2) confront them (some people don't recommend this because you might end up getting physical with the other person, but I say f*ck it, no one lives forever, and with some people, fighting them and standing up for yourself is the only way you'll gain their respect.) Love who you are, and who cares what other people have to say about it. (^_^)
I'm 26 years old and today I realized I would never fit in.
The bullying will never stop.
The thing is, when you embrace yourself, you begin meeting other people who will embrace you, too.
Be safe, but be you. And when you can move, do it. Otherwise, all you can do is be proud of yourself.
What the first commentor stated: School is just a pile of sticky shit made to hold teenagers together in one place so their parents can go to work and know that thier children are in "safe hands", untill they can come back to pick them up.
However this creates the same society you have in a correctional facility (jail), People make their own groups and hurt each other, especially those who don't have a group (nerds).

life gets alot better after school. you'll see that none of what you learn and expierience right now has anything to do with the real world.

like paying the rent and shit...
I think you should stop trying to be different or whatever and just be yourself.
You need to learn how to be comfortable with yourself and just drown out the voices. Because they will always find something to call you out on.
Something to bash you for.
A reason to make you cry. Forever.

They will never change, so you should.
Accept yourself, shut them out, and just be you.
cultural wasteland............

firstly you are not an individual, i see little pricks like you at gloria jeans every thursday night.

2 dying your hair black and spiking it does not make you move away from the mainstream! it makes you
shop at priceline!

3 School uniforms are to stop people from singling out each other because of percieved wealth
for example the same school holds low income, working class, middle class and upper class children
but who knows who is who? well or clothes are all the same! so little timmy over here isnt called poor!

4 who gives a fuck what teachers think, unless you go to a private school your hair can look how ever you
want it too!

5 Grow a pair and deal with your situation! so you get picked on for looking different, fuck maybe dont try
so hard to look different if you cant deal with ridicule!

6 STOP TRYING TO BE DIFFERENT! YOU ARE EITHER DIFFERENT OR NOT! DONT TRY TO BE SOMETHING YOU'RE NOT!

7 dont ever bad mouth this country! it is not a cultural wasteland, individuality is not banned! show some fucking
respect to your home!

Pieces of shit like you deserve what you get
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the post above are not representative of Australia and its inhabitants and were written by back-water irrit who possibly has an unhealthy obsession with guns.

I'm not really patriotic, but as another Australian I feel it's my duty to inform everyone that not every Australian is a pillock who posts degrading comments to people seeking help with their problems.
you wanted attention, so you do what all these poor saps do
and you post a forum thread about how hard it is to be you
and i have to admit some of these people need help
but nowhere in your post did i see anything about having
a problem. it was a speech about how different you are
and how you get picked on for it. and as i said! if you cant
handle criticism don't try to be different! I also dont know
why you believe i have an unhealthy obsession with guns.

i dont want people thinking your the representation of australia,
a whiny bitch who not only brings problems on themselves but then
cant handle it and needs to bitch to strangers to make themselves
feel good. your "duty" as you called it, is to shut the fuck up and
stop being an attention seeker!
Do you want to know something?

You're not me, you will never understand this situation, shotgun3540.
You are a close-minded arsehole. and it's people like you who make this world a terrible place.

I came to this website because I was told that it is an accepting, kind environment, so far, this is yet to be displayed (by some)

I would also like to point out, that I have never shopped at Priceline, so your uneducated guess was wrong.

I go to a private school. And you know what I got taught? "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"

So fuck you, you are a terrible person. There is special place in hell reserved for people like you.
moron its shogun not shotgun

learn to read

im not close minded i just dont listen to complaining

this is a website devoted to art not understanding pussies

so you dont shop at priceline....but you still put product in your hair...dosnt matter where you shop, your a girl.

and you got to a private school where it has stricter rules about clothing and appearance, so obviously the kids are not going to be exposed to different appearances, and yet your suprised your picked on.

you know what i was taught "Crying dosnt solve anything"

and guess what i dont care if you think im terrible and going to hell, you know why, because i dont give a flying fuck what people think of me. thats why i never need to complain to get attention and have strangers feel sorry for me.

go cry about your problems somewhere else if you wont upload art to an ART WEBSITE!

Sorry, I meant shogun3540
Well, those are interesting points, aren't they?

Have you noticed that this post was in a category called "Help with life"? notice the lack of the word art.

Yes this is an art website, but, when I signed up, I ticked the "I am not an artist box" this website is for Artists and Art enthusiasts.

Also, I corrected your name, maybe you should learn to look at the entire window before making such remarks.

Calling me a girl gets wither of us nowhere.
First of all, I would like to say THANKS, I appreciate your comments, all of them.

I realise now that my original post may have been focused on my clothes and hair and all that aesthetic stuff, and that is a great deal of the issue.

I have a very strange sense of humour, and I prefer to talk formally all the time, so people don't really accept that.

In the end, I agree with the majority of the comments, "if I can't deal with it, don't do it" (Not a direct quote)

I think I need to just take a long hard look at who I really am, then I can say I am what I want to be.

Thank you all <3
I can't wear tight jeans. it just doesn't fly my way. Spiky hair? Not with this curly nappy hair. Screamo? Definitely No. No. But that's what I dislike. I won't tell you I do. I like different things. You like to be different because you are at your most comfortable. Safety way equals easier way. But that's not your way. Choose your way and unless you believe that their is something very negative about you then change it. People after a while will admire you instead because of it. So wear those jeans tight, Spike that hair up! Get good grades because after all, your grades are what show after high school, not your jeans.
Uniforms don't stop individuality. Suck it up
That, clearly wan't the main point of that entire post.
That was just plain rude.