Details

Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

I need help getting money for my kids software project

:iconnathankoepke:
I would like to pursue this kids software project that I want to be like the popular JumpStart series. I planned on having this project feature all kinds of features to make it competitive and entertaining for children, like animation with character voices, high-quality character artwork, engaging activities, etc. But I find it hard to get anywhere financially with it since doing high-quality character artwork, animation with voiceovers, etc. costs money. I have student loan payments coming up in December which means that I will have to start refraining from spending on unnecessary items for ten years. How can I go through with my project and still finance what I need to finance while still reservinmg some salary for my school loans? I have tried Kickstarter but that requires special tax paperwork as part of the setup process since I have to set myself up as a small business. I have a GoFundMe website here at [link] but I am having trouble getting people to support my project. I do not want to use my family members because they have more important obligations. Therefore, if someone could please help me make my dream a reality while still being considerate of my financial limitations, that would be greatly appreciated.

Devious Comments

:iconyashachan:
yashachan Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Locked at OP's request.

:lock:
Moderator, please mark this thread as resolved as I feel that people have given me enough great suggestions to resolve this problem and next time I will put a journal link.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Nov 27, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Make a Kickstarter for it.

Go on Facebook and make a public page that describes what you want to do, asking for donations, and a link to the kickstarter. Post anything you have, make updates, etc. Ask everyone you know to spread the page around as much as possible.

Find any site you can post on and do the same.

Open blogs on free sites. Same thing. Description, any graphics etc you have, and a link to kickstarter.
I already have a kickstarter-ish thing going. I will try that if I cannot milk anything out here on deviantART.
puppy-dangerous Nov 27, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Not kickstarter-ish. Actually use Kickstarter. It's the SITE in this case, not the service. It's the difference between having an account on some random social networking site and having it on Facebook.

It's REALLY big, everybody knows about it, we're going to make one to fix our studio and even we, who have almost no money, have donated to people there. There are users who browse kickstarter.
Thank you. But the thing is is that Kickstarter is really hard to set up for me because in the process you have to set up an Amazon.com Small Business account and you have to fill out some special tax paperwork in the process to set yourself up as a small business. Because I am still a dependent on my mother and stepfather's taxes, I don't know how this could happen. It will also change how I do income taxes in April and I might have to owe some money to the IRS. I could be all wrong about this, but I use GoFundMe because although I want to fund my project and its resources so that way I can still progress through it and still be on a budget I do not have to change how I do taxes in April.

However, if worst comes to worst, I will actually use Kickstarter if that is okay with whoever assists me in budgeting my money while I am on social security and in my county's assisted living/FamilyCare program and this way I can still do it even when salary is tight. However, I will have to wait until I am on my own to do this, but thank you very much. :)
puppy-dangerous Nov 28, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Ah, that makes sense, I can understand that. In that case, then I'd suggest really advertising as much as you can, and trying to get onto pages and groups that are geared toward kids.

Being a parent, if you can pull off an alternative to JumpStart that would be really cool. My daughter used to use it, but it always seemed to run super slow and she'd get frustrated.

At some point, you may want to look into setting yourself up as a business. I don't know how it is where you are, but I know there are places where all you have to do is pay a fairly small fee and you get the license.

Another thing you can consider is mocking it up really good and pitching it to companies. There is (or used to be) at least one website where parents get rewarded to go look at ideas for new kids games and decide whether they seem good or not. If you can get it on a site like that, you may be able to get approval and funding without having to do all that work.
Thank you for your suggestions. I will try some of your suggestions once I get out on my own because since I will be off my mother and stepfather's taxes and will therefore be no longer a dependent I will have more freedom to try these. However, since I am using my programming software that I got from college and the Microsoft DreamSpark license agreement says that I cannot use them in commercial ventures, I will kind of veer away from the starting my own business part since it will knock me off my social security and the FamilyCare program.

And yes, it would be really cool because not only will it attempt to be better but the characters are freely usable by anyone since I am not allowed to profit from anything I program due to the DreamSpark agreement!
:iconspookyink:
SpookyInk Nov 26, 2012   Traditional Artist
Don't start something that is impossible for you to achieve. If you can't figure it out yourself then don't waste your time.
I will still do my project but it will have to be on a lower scale. If this is the way it has to be it has to be.
Add a Comment: