Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

Starting Life

:iconbipolarcheese:
BipolarCheese Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i'm trying to kick my ass into an art school but i can hardly afford anything right now!
i'm looking at Otis in LA but i need to look at art school grants first before anything pretty much.

i'm scared... i don't know what i'm doing at all....halp?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Break it down into smaller tasks so you're not so overwhelmed by what you're doing. Think about: what do you have to do to get in? Probably take a look at your grades and your portfolio first before applying so you don't waste your time and money. How much is it going to be? How much are you going to be able to get through your own savings, parents, grants, scholarships, government loans? How do you apply for those? You'll probably have to write a few essays for the grants or scholarships, so brush up on your writing skills. Government loans will probably need information like your social security number, your parent's income tax if you're still living with them, how far you're moving, what program you're taking, etc. Do you need to apply for residence? Is that a seperate application? Is there a work-study program or another employment program to help low-income students? Are there requirements to be allowed into the program?

When I was applying for school, I found the most helpful things were to write down a list of dates (it helps give you a chronology for which of the many tasks to do first) and to get an adult who has been to school already to help me out. Even if you can't find an adult who's been to school, a regular adult will be helpful anyways to decipher all the bureaucratic lexicon. Don't be afraid to e-mail the school or call up whatever government department you're dealing with to get help, too. It's their job to walk people through this kind of things, and no question is too stupid.
:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
your parent's income tax if you're still living with them

Correction: In the US you have to provide your parents' financial information to FAFSA until you're either 24 or married, even if you're not living with them.

Yep, it's total bullshit.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
You so smart!
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying. It's quite different in Canada.
:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Yeah, it's dumber here. :dummy:
Add a Comment: