Closed to new replies
November 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

How to calculate a SAT score?

:iconcharcoalandchuckles:
charcoalandchuckles Nov 22, 2012  Student General Artist
One, keep going on collegeboard and my previous scores from last March and October aren't showing up, despite taking them. Plus, I got my October score back a while ago and both scores showed up on the letter I received.

My main question: I'll use my first scores as an example. On my critical reading I got a 580, Math a 410 and Writing a 520. Yeah, they're not impressive, but the point is on my first go the letter told I had gotten a 1610 and not a 1510. How does that work?

Also, are you allowed to switch your essay scores within your writing score to improve your super score?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Nov 22, 2012  Student Digital Artist
If you take the test multiple times, they use the highest score from each individual test. So for example the first time I took the SAT I got a 640 in math and a 680 in verbal. The second time I got a 610 in math and a 700 in verbal. So my combined score was 1340 because they kept the higher math score even though I got a lower score in math when I took it the second time.

Therefore, it's good to take the SATs as many times as you can because if you ever do worse it won't be held against you. You could even consider the first time to be for practice. Or, you could prepare for a different subject each time and ace them all individually.
Yeah, I know about superscoring and I'm thinking about taking it again. Second time I did better and improved significantly in math. Although, I think I might focus on the critical reading and writing section.
:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Nov 22, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I should mention that the written test didn't exist when I took the test 10 years ago, in case you didn't know that and are now extremely confused. :lol: obviously you factor in your written score too.
:iconyashachan:
yashachan Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Have you tried picking out your highest score for each test section and adding that up to see if you get 1610?
Yes, okay now I got it. Okay, that's a relief, I don't know I was over thinking calculating scores.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I personally never done the SAT but one thing I've noticed...
+520
------
+410
------

Looks like you forgot to carry the 1 for 80 + 20 (unless the SAT does the total scores differently.)
But doesn't 1100 added to 410 equal 1510?
...Dang it. No programming tonight....
And of course, dA decides to remove the spaces. Should be something like:

+520
Add a Comment: