self harm, depression stuff and its not just me

i dont know what to do
my sister always wears long sleeve shirts and i didnt think that she cut until i felt them while grabbing onto her sleeve, i really want to help her but i dont know she wont talk to me about it in any way and it makes me so worried, i want her to be more open about her feelings so i can at least try to help but.
really though me and my sister are pretty close and she really never talks about her feelings and i want her to, i want her to know that she wouldnt look like some attention whore if she said anything about her feelings and yes, it would worry people, but theyre just there to help and its better whenever you do get better.
and my other friend, i want her to stop saying shes fat and worthless when shes not, shes actually really skinny and underweight and she needs to gain weight and she knows that and i dont know whats happening because she says that shes skinny and then she says that shes fat and shes also really picky about foods, not in calories but in taste and. uhg and she always talks about how little she eats when everyone else eats that much too and she just takes in less calories than everyone else.
and then heres me being a terrible friend and ranting over the internet but i just want to help them and i cant change their thinking path but i can try to help them but my sister wont open up and im just kind of frustrated. i thought i was doing really good this month by not cutting at all but i just feel like i need to because i cant handle this and i dont have any more pills. i really dont want to and i just wish there was someone that would listen to me and tell me its okay. im just seriously lost please dont make things any worse, i just want attention to get help when i cant get it anywhere else. since my parents treat this kind of thing as a joke and i can never tell them how i really feel its just so aggravating and i almost cant take it. i want to stay strong i really do.
Comments130
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
contact me, my hours are 9am to 6pm.
Hug her.

Hug the shit out of her.

Hug her TO DEATH.

And then figure out what's really bothering her (not just what she says) and make her face it.

Good luck.
You're not a terrible friend. I'm sure you've done all you can to help them change their destructive thinking. But, it's really hard to change people that don't want to listen or be changed. The parents in both cases need to be involved...it is pretty sick if they are treating it like a joke. Maybe a school councellor could help them (but getting them to see a councellor sounds like it wouldn't work). The most you can do is hang out with them and do activities that are fun, this will get their minds off their problems at least for a little while, and maybe it can become a habit for them to seek out fun stuff.
yeahyehah i think im throwing a party next weekend??? i guess that will help!!
A party? Sounds like fun!
:cake::party::cake::party::cake::party::cake::party::cake:
it is!!! I'm co-hosting so this will be fun
It is very hard to share feeling about self harm to people who are so close.
It might be a better idea to have your sister talk to someone else. Perhaps not a doctor but just a friend.

I know I could never have told my mom or my sister about what I felt back in the days when I self harmed. But I could talk about it with strangers. I did not feel the need to keep a facade when I did not know the person well.

And you are strong, you can be strong enough to face anything. Even if it does not feel like it you are always able to take another step. Just one at the time, and then you take one more and repeat until you are done.
And you don't have to do it alone. There is plenty of good people who can help!
wowow thank you so much, im saving this comment in my folder so i can look back on it thanks! omg i dont know what to say really
wait,,,, so u cut urself too???
ohhhhh ok...i hope everything works out for you. i apologize for my lack of advice :(
well.. personally speaking, i have never cut myself, but i have self-harmed with other objects. Your sister needs you the most at a time like this. it does not matter, if she keeps on telling you to go away, because there's a Swedish Proverb, that pretty much describes it all. 'Love me, when I don't deserve it, because that's when I need it the most' :)
omgomg thank you!! this really helps a lot i dont know how to describe it but thansk
Yeah I learned all this in Health class.

For your sister, she has depression. Cutting herself is one thing that she thinks will solve her problem, but obviously, it won't. And I don't know if she's experiencing the later symptoms: depression leads to overdosing and going on drugs and alcohol. It can then lead to suicide. Tell your parents or teachers she trust, and they'll help. Remember, depression IS curable.

For your friend, she has a mental eating disorder, and I think it's bulimia, or something else. Anyway yeah she's like other girls: thinking she's fat when she's not, blah blah blah. But her view is seriously affecting her. She can starve herself, and that's all I know about bulimia. Google it or something.....lol

But the best you can do for both of them is to tell an adult you trust and/or they trust. I'm sorry you're experiencing this; it must be hard for you.

But remember that both cases ARE curable. Oh and DO NOT say things like "it'll be alright" "you're not fat" "get over it". It won't help at all. Kay, that's all I have to say :)
i try to tell her that but she just ignores me so i just hug her when shes sad

my friend does not have an eating disorder, she has a medical condition with her metabolism or whatever and doesnt take in calories
and yeah if she ignores you, don't try to make her feel better with words. I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but if she doesn't want to talk about it, then don't talk about it. It's her choice, and talking about it will make her feel worse. Hugging her is a good thing, it lets her know there's someone who still loves and cares about her.
ah I see. for the metabolism, do doctors try to help her?

and did you ever tell your parents about these situations?
I'm not sure I can be very much help... I have never cut, but I have felt very depressed and had thoughts of maybe not suicide, but simply wishing to be dead. It's really hard for me to share my feelings because I feel I am being too selfish about life. I have a roof over my head, a loving family, adorable pets. So when I feel depressed I feel like I'm just a burden and being unreasonable and sometimes I am just embarrassed. I know not everyone is the same but it might be issues like this why your sister does not want to open up. It seems like you really care about your sister and your friend, and it is right to be concerned if they are living unhealthily or unhappily, so just ignore some people who may have posted otherwise. I think if you shared your own feelings perhaps your sister would feel more comfortable opening up about her feelings. Tell her how you feel, how you just want to help but feel helpless. I would do the same with your friend, if she feels your genuine concern she may realize her self-image needs some help and be willing to work on it. I don't know if you might have tried that, but it is my only idea :/ I wish you success and I hope your life and those close to you can become happier. It's better to have hope and try to make a positive change then to despair.
yeah i feel like you a lot??
i dont know exactly how to help but theres always an end to depression in ends soon enough and then you can be happy again you just need to really examine whats going on. i just got over a 3 year long depression. as for your sister i just have one suggestion next time shes sad dont say anything just hug her. some people just dont want to talk about whats bothering them either cause they think others wont understand or that it wont really help. she may just need to think things out thats how i got over my depression. and as for you, you need to relax cutting is never the answer. youll find someone who loves you if its not now you will eventually. i hope this helped if not im sorry
yeah well time heals most wounds