Therapy

I think I may need some, but I am scared and don't think I can afford it. Can you share some experiences you've had with therapy?
Comments22
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I had to see a therapist last year. And I should have done it FAR earlier. If you feel you need help, don't wait too long. I waited until I broke down, and I regret it now. But it helped me a lot. People who know me told me I seemed better since I did it, and I feel I can deal with some of my problems better now I've spoken about them to a therapist. She moved so I don't see her anymore, and I kind of stopped because I didn't felt the need at the time, and I can't really afford it, but at least try it for a while, if it doesn't work with one, it doesn't mean that it won't work, but maybe that it's not the right person for you. it's difficult to talk to a stranger, yes. But s/he can have answers on how to deal better about your problems.
This seems to be the general consensus. Like I said to another person, it may be a while because of my situation, but I am really glad to have you all share with me.
I used to see a therapist exactly two years ago. I don't anymore, mostly because I couldn't afford it and it took like 90 minutes to get to the place.
I had mixed feelings about it. It was great to be able to talk and have someone ask you about what's going on in your life, but at the same time it felt like I pouring my heart out to a stranger. Whenever he would write things down I felt like I was getting judged, but I realized a week later he was writing down the main points so he could give it to my psychiatrist, this way he would have a better idea of what to prescribe me. I think in general it's a great idea and it really helps. I was scared too, but it's a really relaxed place so the fear will be gone pretty quickly. :)
Thanks you! I am still looking into the therapy thing, but it may be a while before I see anyone. Your advice really helps though.
I'm glad :) Good luck!
I've seen 2 different therapists, and I've given up with therapy since then. It never seemed to help me a lot, but I guess in a way it taught me how to grow up and deal with my problems on my own. They basically dumbed down my problems and hardly helped me with coping, but it was what it was.

I'm pretty certain that I just didn't click well with my therapist. I have friends who say that they have great therapists and I've watched them get better through therapy! If you don't seem to get along too well with your school therapist, then I strongly suggest trying to find a different one. Go to your regular doctor (if you have one) and give them a briefing on what you have going on. They'll probably give you a diagnosis and then give you a list of therapists in the general area who are good with treating that condition. Then, just call/visit those therapists and find on you get along with and you think can genuinely help you!

If you don't find a good therapist, then you'll find yourself not getting a lot of help, like what happened to me. I've talked to friends about it, and they all say that a good therapist is crucial. I wish you luck!
Personally, therapy didn't work for me at all. Don't be scared. Get help if you need it. Your experience may end up being different than mine, so it's always worth a try.
Find a therapist that works for you. There are lots of different therapists and some will suit your personality and some won't.
Run a search for sliding scale therapy in your city. A lot of places will offer therapy with graduate students, and it's not expensive at all. Expect to pay $5-30 a session, depending on your income. Don't be scared; think about how awesome your life will be after you've gotten everything taken care of.
Yeah, I know, I know. thats not bad at all. I think I can afford that.
Most defiantly worth it, but find a therapist that you are comfortable with. I know there are some completely free services out there. I would have to find where I found those again though.
I've had one on one therapy before, which is very helpful indeed, but for me personally I've found that group therapy is even more helpful and is usually less expensive. Most of the time if you get into a group therapy there will also be a psychiatrist who can prescribe you medicine as well. I'm still on the fence about being put on most meds though...but that's just me personally. I have been on them before, and they do help, but make sure you do your OWN research on them first and don't let them just put you on anything. Doctor's and psychiatrists alike, you're still their "customer" so you have the final say so.
Which is probably why I liked group therapy so much because there's a therapist guiding it, but everyone else pretty much runs it. It can seem a little intimidating at first, but it's pretty relieving to hear that other people might be going through the same things you are or have.
One thing you really have to remind yourself is not to worry yourself about this because that's probably the last thing you need. Just start researching some good therapist, meet with them a couple times, but don't stress out about it. If it starts to get too expensive, stop going. I have a lot of great book references too as well for books that have helped me a lot. Just let me know.
There's also websites online like meetup.com, (I'm not sure you have have anything like this in your area,) But it's always helpful getting around other people and doing something that you enjoy, or used to enjoy.
Once you get going it's fairly easy to give yourself therapy too. I used to take myself out to coffee almost every Saturday, and smoke a few cigarettes while reading a book or drawing.
Sorry about the long post, I just know what it's like to be where you probably are. Just don't give up, I've been there, as have many, MANY other people, and it may seem that there is no feeling left in the world but you have that choice to let yourself start again. Don't let you hold you down.
Thanks so much for the help and kind words. I will have to look into the free option. I have very little money, lol, as I'm sure most people do. I'm such a stubborn person. I hate the feeling that I need help and it also scares the bejesus out of me. Just talking on here, knowing I'm not alone, is helping too.
Some employees have Employee Assistance programs where you can get free counseling. The programs usually include family members. See if your parents have this. They also have free mental health clinics that offer free help, if not totally free, at least for a limited time. Check it out, what can you lose?
Yeah good idea. thanks.
it has helped me, just took a few therapists to get there. but in some countries you can get one that you can pay as you go, in other words you don't pay until you got money coming in, if you got a small amount you pay in this fashion. a lot of countries have some sort of medical plan in effect these days. also, medicine, isn't always needed, sometimes just need a talk with someone who is unbiased and unopinionated who isn't afraid to just sit and listen. if you do need medicine, there are probably plans in your country in effect for this as well.
i will have to look into that.
My experience is that it's worth it. I've been seeing therapists on and off since I was young, just recently started seeing a new one that I really click well with, it really helps to sit down and talk to someone. Do you have health insurance? That may cover it. Are you a student? If so, you should be able to see the councilor.
I do not have health insurance but I do go to college. How do you know if simple therapy will help or if you need medication?
If you go to college, there should be a councilor on campus and you should be able to schedule an appointment. As for the possible need of medication or not, it would be up to you to talk to your doctors/councilor and see what they think upon review. Scheduling an appointment with the school councilor is a good, strong step in the right direction. ^_^