Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21
:icon2numb2relate:
I think I may need some, but I am scared and don't think I can afford it. Can you share some experiences you've had with therapy?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconerwanna-dragony:
Erwanna-Dragony Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I had to see a therapist last year. And I should have done it FAR earlier. If you feel you need help, don't wait too long. I waited until I broke down, and I regret it now. But it helped me a lot. People who know me told me I seemed better since I did it, and I feel I can deal with some of my problems better now I've spoken about them to a therapist. She moved so I don't see her anymore, and I kind of stopped because I didn't felt the need at the time, and I can't really afford it, but at least try it for a while, if it doesn't work with one, it doesn't mean that it won't work, but maybe that it's not the right person for you. it's difficult to talk to a stranger, yes. But s/he can have answers on how to deal better about your problems.
This seems to be the general consensus. Like I said to another person, it may be a while because of my situation, but I am really glad to have you all share with me.
:iconerwanna-dragony:
Erwanna-Dragony Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Glad to help !
:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I used to see a therapist exactly two years ago. I don't anymore, mostly because I couldn't afford it and it took like 90 minutes to get to the place.
I had mixed feelings about it. It was great to be able to talk and have someone ask you about what's going on in your life, but at the same time it felt like I pouring my heart out to a stranger. Whenever he would write things down I felt like I was getting judged, but I realized a week later he was writing down the main points so he could give it to my psychiatrist, this way he would have a better idea of what to prescribe me. I think in general it's a great idea and it really helps. I was scared too, but it's a really relaxed place so the fear will be gone pretty quickly. :)
Thanks you! I am still looking into the therapy thing, but it may be a while before I see anyone. Your advice really helps though.
:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm glad :) Good luck!
:iconlaurenhascombusted:
LaurenHasCombusted Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've seen 2 different therapists, and I've given up with therapy since then. It never seemed to help me a lot, but I guess in a way it taught me how to grow up and deal with my problems on my own. They basically dumbed down my problems and hardly helped me with coping, but it was what it was.

I'm pretty certain that I just didn't click well with my therapist. I have friends who say that they have great therapists and I've watched them get better through therapy! If you don't seem to get along too well with your school therapist, then I strongly suggest trying to find a different one. Go to your regular doctor (if you have one) and give them a briefing on what you have going on. They'll probably give you a diagnosis and then give you a list of therapists in the general area who are good with treating that condition. Then, just call/visit those therapists and find on you get along with and you think can genuinely help you!

If you don't find a good therapist, then you'll find yourself not getting a lot of help, like what happened to me. I've talked to friends about it, and they all say that a good therapist is crucial. I wish you luck!
:iconemilyericson:
emilyericson Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Personally, therapy didn't work for me at all. Don't be scared. Get help if you need it. Your experience may end up being different than mine, so it's always worth a try.
:icondutchconnaisseur:
Find a therapist that works for you. There are lots of different therapists and some will suit your personality and some won't.
Add a Comment: