Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Help with persuasion? + Possible advice, please?

:iconairheadette:
Airheadette Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
(I'm sorry about using this account rather than my main one, my watchers are getting annoyed since I keep talking about this..)

Basically, in March or April, I really want to go to a meet-up with a group of people that I talk to online

But the problem is;

1) My mum would never let me go on a train by myself, especially somewhere that's almost 4 hours away.

2) She hates the thought of me actually talking to strangers on the internet, so she probably wouldn't want me go and meet a bunch of them.

3) I don't know why, but I have a feeling that there's a possibility that I would miss the train home or something because i'm not too bright and would end up being stranded there.

4) I'm the worst person ever at asking things. I never know what to say and I would probably make it sound like a bad idea to my mum.

There was a similar meet-up on Saturday and I looked through the pictures and videos that were posted, and it looked really fun and i'm certain that I want to tag along Spring next year.

So i was thinking i could always take a close friend with me so that I can tell my mum that we're going shopping, but i'm not sure if one of my friends would want to meet a bunch of strangers..

I could always talk to my friends for like half an hour then take my friend shopping to make up for it? I really don't know.

So yeah.

I really need help with ways to persuade my mum to let me go and possibly a friend to come with me..?

Also any advice would be great.

Thank-you in advance x

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshogun3540:
shogun3540 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Artist
rebel yell motherfucker, dont tell her, just fuck off and go, whats the worst she can do?
Airheadette Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Rofl but um, no. I'm not a stupid kid who would do that. I actually appreciate my mother's concern and would rather she know where I am and that i'm safe.
:iconshogun3540:
shogun3540 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Artist
sorry should have asked, how old are you if you dont mind?
:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Well assuming the meet-up is in a city or at an event or something, take a friend and tell your mom you're going to that city/that event/a con/something.
Airheadette Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Yeah, I've managed to find a responsible friend to join me, and my mum should hopefully be okay with it (I'll ask her closer to the time) since she let my brother go on the train 5 hours away with a friend when he was 17, and i'll be 16 at the time so it should hopefully be alright!
:iconsandmanfallingout:
sandmanfallingout Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
all i have to say is have a friend that can take you there and back mabey even one of the pople that is going there thats in your area

sorry i couldint help more

sorry dyslexic

sorry to miny sorrys
Airheadette Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Yeah, I have managed to find a close friend who is willing to come with me and she's really responsible! (: Thank-you for your response and its okay! (:
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Just sit down and talk to her. Tell her that you're a responsible person, tell her exactly where you'll be be, and tell her that you'll call her when you arrive, when you meet with your friends, when you're leaving to catch the train, and obviously when you get home. Keep communication open, because that's how you build trust.

You said you're almost 16. While it might seem a bit young to be travelling by yourself, you're also at the driver's license age and your mother can't keep you sheltered and within a 10 mile radius your entire life--otherwise, when you are able to get out, you won't be able to handle yourself in these situations.

Train rides aren't that bad. You'll literally sit for 4 hours. Not a lot can go wrong there. I see how she can be worried about meeting up with strangers, but that's up to you to portray your friends to your mother as smart, responsible people that you can be trusted with. As for getting home, you should be fine as long as your at your track 5 min before the departure time. If anything, you could catch the next train even though you would probably be waiting.

My parents were the same way, but in my situation, I wanted to travel long distances to concerts, which is arguably worse. But in the end, they decided that they had to trust me (especially because I would have found a way to get there one way or another). Sure, it's nerve racking your first time doing something like this, but it's so much fun! It's fun being out in the world by yourself! I ended up going to NYC and navigating subways by myself, and while I got on the wrong subway twice and missed my train home because the concert ran later than I expected (had to pull an all nighter at a friend's apartment that lived in the city and catch the first train back at 5 in the morning), it was a blast. Then again, I was 18 when I went through this but the first time I took the train by myself was when I was 16.
Airheadette Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
Ah, Thank-you very much for replying!! I think it may be easier to go now as one of my best friends has opted to come with me and she's familiar with traveling so it should all go well!

I'm going to take my mobile and a portable charger so that I can text and call her regularly so she knows where i am and what i'm doing (:

Thanks again!
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Have fun!
Add a Comment: