Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Where to go to school and for what?

:icontashawnmc:
TaShawnMC Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Yeah, so I'm a junior in high school and have no idea what I want to do when I get out.... of course this poses a problem. I have a TON of official experience in video editing and some self-taught experience in photoshop and photography... and the like really basic computer essentials. so i'd like to do something with that... I have a website, am going to make a demo reel, (eventually get some business cards...) and have entered and gotten to the international level in my local media festival, am a part of a youtube channel consisting of 18 other kids... But I don't know what to do with all of this, or what it means for me... I'm not sure what career/school is best to pursue, and most likely to guarantee a job... please help!

p.s. I also need volunteer experience... and the only thing I can think of is volunteering at a pet shelter. And I did that for a while until I learned that i'm allergic to cats... -_-

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontildsart:
TildsArt Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
You might want to do Photography.. I don't know how's there but in my school the photography branch consisted in analogic photo/developing, digital photography, photoretouching and video-making.. Or else go for Media (:
TaShawnMC Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
that's an idea. Thanks. :)
:iconflamedeleon:
FlameDeLeon Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
I know a girl going to Full Sail University for cinematography. She does a lot of work with photography and film as well. It sounds like you have some really great skills and experience to offer any college you apply to. Try going online and looking up job positions in film and media. There are plenty of careers you could find with your skills. It's just a matter of deciding what really interests you and getting better at it.
good point. Thanks! :)
:iconflamedeleon:
FlameDeLeon Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
No prob! You're welcome! :)
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artist
Nothing you pursue will guarantee a job. It just isn't the case anymore.

That said, you must do something with your time, right? Take a list of the things you do and see if those things seem to point somewhere. It's ok if they don't seem to point anywhere just yet. Also, I don't mean things you do that you think a college wants to hear, I mean the things you really do. For instance, my list includes my 3+ years of minecrafting (I also put that on my medschool applications) :p You repeatedly bring up computers here, that seems to point to some good starting places.

Computer Science is growing rapidly and there are a lot of good jobs in Comp Sci these days. Real compsci, none of this geek-squad-level tech support bullshit. Then within Compsci you have so many options that I'm sure you can find exactly what you love. Everything from high-level math and algorithm design all the way to the physics of individual transistor elements. You like video editing, perhaps you would really be into designing video editing software? Or perhaps engineering gate-level media encoders? :dummy:

Anyway, if you're unsure, I would suggest looking to a state school. There you'll have access to almost anything you want to try and your first year or two will be mostly gen-ed classes that will give you a better idea of what you like and what is out there. Then you can always go to grad school after if you want to be more specialized in something.

Finally, don't volunteer because you feel like you have to. You don't really need to volunteer for college admission. That said, you do have to justify what you do with your time and how it enriches your life in a meaningful way. They will instantly be able to sniff out any insincerity in your volunteering or motivations. Plus, if you volunteer just because you have to your heart won't be in it, and when your heart isn't in something you can't fake that. You're better off doing what you love, showing the college just how much you love it, and getting into a school that shares the things you love. Getting into the wrong program for the wrong reasons is literally the darkest, most depressing thing you can do to yourself.

Of course, if you can find a way to do what you love while helping others... that's winning right there. Perhaps sign up to teach a video-editing class at the library or park-district or w/e? :) be creative and push boundaries, you have more than enough time before college applications start to happen. An interesting application will get you farther than the "right" application.
"For instance, my list includes my 3+ years of minecrafting" XD NICE!

"You like video editing, perhaps you would really be into designing video editing software? Or perhaps engineering gate-level media encoders? " Oh, i'm not a coder in like any way..X( I tried learning... just seems very.... not me?

"I would suggest looking to a state school. " That's a good idea. Someone suggest i take a year off after i graduate... do you think that's a good idea?

"Finally, don't volunteer because you feel like you have to..." Thank you for that! That's honestly the first time I've heard that. :)

"that's winning right there. Perhaps sign up to teach a video-editing class at the library or park-district or w/e?" I could actually arrange to do that afterschool... that's an awesome idea! thanks!

"An interesting application will get you farther than the "right" application." Thanks so much! you've helped alot and provided alot of perspective. :)
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artist
I wouldn't discount coding until you try learning it proper :) learning the stuff on your own is boring as all fuck if you don't have someone giving you projects to work on.

Do you think you would benefit from a gap year? Like, is there something you want to do that you think will make you happy or enrich your life? I personally don't think there's much to be done right out of HS and before college that is particularly interesting or useful. Even if you want to go travel Europe or something... I think it would be better to forestall that to a gap year after college :shrug: Really, it's up to you and what you think will be best.

That said, taking a year off to "work" or to, more realistically sit around doing nothing, likely won't enrich your life much if at all. If you have to save up some money by working for a few years it isn't a terrible thing, but it definitely is more difficult to get back into the swing of school. If you do need the money it might be more worthwhile to talk to financial aid people.
"learning the stuff on your own is boring as all fuck if you don't have someone giving you projects to work on. " good point~
"Really, it's up to you and what you think will be best. " I was thinking about getting a job to help pay for college, and padding my portfolio.

"If you have to save up some money by working for a few years it isn't a terrible thing, but it definitely is more difficult to get back into the swing of school." True...

" If you do need the money it might be more worthwhile to talk to financial aid people." yeah.... I also need to go and talk to my counselor about that. I'll set up a meeting. :)
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
So you're asking us to tell you your future?

Do you have any things you enjoy a lot that could be turned into career?
Add a Comment: