I was roobed, I feel violated

Yesterday a thief broke in and stole my laptop and my handbag. A lot of personal items, including a self-assuring journal, some personal docs and my ID were taken away from me. Although I contacted the police, I have lost hope of retrieving the stolen items. And I feel completely violated, knowing that someone out there might be toying with my information. I don't know what to do, I feel as if it's always going to haunt me...
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Next time have back ups and protected files (truecrypt or something else).
I have back-ups. But yes, I should encrypt files or something, because the thief has them, too. Thanks.
I'm sure you meant robbed, which you weren't. You were burgled, which is different. That's when people break into your car/home etc. and thieve your things without your presence. Robbery, is when your personal things are forcibly taken from you through threat of personal injury or death. I've been just lucky enough to experience this very act, I know the difference.

Tough break on the burglary, though. More insurance in future for the material items, and invest in a safe for the personal ones. About all you can do, unfortunately.
Yes, you're right. And I just now saw the typo, facepalm. But yes, thankfully I wasn't held at knife or gunpoint, sorry to hear that you were. Insurance will do, although what I'm concerned about is not recoverable by insurance. I guess it's just the way life is. Thanks for writing.
I'd rather become Nolan.
Aww that sucks! I know exactly how you feel because I was in a similar situation. When I was younger, someone robbed our house. He stole a bunch of things, he also went into my room and left it in complete chaos (although he didn't take anything that belonged to me). I felt very violated afterwards, it felt creepy being in my room knowing someone was messing around with my things. It didn't help that the police were shit neither :X

It took me a while to get over it, and I think that's exactly what you need. My advice to you is to surround yourself with good friends, it could help if you have someone to speak to. You can even have them over at your place for a couple of days if you don't feel comfortable being there by yourself. I don't know why but I found that moving things around my room and rearranging it kind of helped. Just take it easy on yourself and I wish you the best of luck in sorting things out! :hug:
Thank you, I really appreciate your comment! :hug: I understand you, it also feels creepy knowing that your personal belongings are *out there* somewhere, in the hands of strangers.
Most likely the thief will just throw away your journal, documents and ID so you have little reason to worry about those things being toyed with by someone else.
I hope so :( But my mind just can't settle that there are some quite cruel people in this world. I pray for the least painful outcome. Thank you for writing!
It happened to me once. For a few weeks it feels terrible, and I even had a nightmare or two about it. But like all things it really does fade with time. I can't even remember the last time I'd recalled it until I saw this thread.
Yes, I also had nightmares, and insomnia in the small hours, it's horrible. I hope it fades away with time and never happens again - not to you, not to me or anybody else :/ Thanks for writing!
At least you will be more security minded in future.
That's the problem, I have always been very security minded, to the point of paranoia. But this didn't help and just a second of distraction cost me this. I guess that if it has to happen, it will. Thank you for writing : )
There is no wall you can erect that somebody cant break down, climb over or get around.

Instead of creating barriers for people to get past, obscure what you have from sight and then people won't know if you have anything valuable to take.
Wise words, I'll keep to that. Thank you.