Closed to new replies
November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Bike Riders Please Help

:iconchibiangel86:
ChibiAngel86 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I need help with a survey for a class project. I just need some people who ride bikes to answer the following questions. Just copy the questions below in to your response and write your answer under the questions. I thank you all in advance.

Name

Do you bike for a living (courier), bike to your workplace or to get from place to place (commuter), or do you solely bike for fun (casual)?

Have you ever suffered from injury while riding on a bike?

What time of day do you usually ride?

Have you ever been in any accidents? (Traffic or something else?) If so please tell me of your experience.

Are you part of any kind of bike related group or organization?

How do you feel about an interactive website that allows you to log any incidents that would occur while biking in order to help protect your rights as a biker?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
Name: Mr. Almighty.

Do you bike for a living (courier), bike to your workplace or to get from place to place (commuter), or do you solely bike for fun (casual)?

I commute on a daily basis as well as ride for pleasure when I'm off the clock.

No.

Early mornings and late evenings.

Have you ever been in any accidents? (Traffic or something else?) If so please tell me of your experience.

Three. One SMIDSY and two traffic unrelated ones:

Smidsy caused by poor observations on behalf of the driver and my lack of anticipation. - No serious injuries

1st spill: Noob's mistake, locked the bars and fell on my side in a comical fashion whilst doing a U turn. - 1x broken indicator and 1x broken ego. - No injuries

2nd spill: High side after loosing front end on a wet mud which I failed to notice. - 1x broken indicator 2x cracks in the fairing + a healthy amount of embarrassment. - No injuries thanks to armoured over pants.

None.

How do you feel about an interactive website that allows you to log any incidents that would occur while biking in order to help protect your rights as a biker?

Can you expand on how would it protect our rights? Without additional info I can't give an informed answer.
However I can back up the idea of a side where bikers could set up some form of early warning system for
other riders, warning them of roads in bad condition, fallen trees etc. This could prove to be of some use.
ChibiAngel86 Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Thank you.
:iconshannor:
shannor Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Name: S. Kerr-Bullian

Previously a commuter, both bicycle and motorcycle.

Bicycle: Concussion, broken jaw, broken fingers, tooth knocked out whole, all in one incident.
Motorcycle: Gravel rash, deep bruising, sprains and strains.

Daylight hours.

Bicycle: My bicycle suffered a mechanical failure on a commute ride, forcing mudguard supports to go between the spokes of the wheel. This locked the wheel up, and catapulted me face first onto concrete at 20+ mph. The doctors strongly believe that without a helmet, I would have been dead.
Motorcycle: About mid day, just after a very light rain, I was coming around a turn to merge with traffic on a major thoroughfare, at approximately 20mph, I hit an oil slick on the road. Already leaning into the turn, my bike slid sideways from under me, dropping me on the inside of the turn. The bike slid across three lanes of traffic before coming to a stop beside another biker sitting on the curb who'd just slipped on the same oil slick. I suffered gravel rash, bruising, and some light sprains and strains to the wrist, knee and ankle that hit the ground first.

No.

I think such a website, run by the government, would be an excellent way to report incidents. I think it would also allow governments to collect and analyze the data to make riding safer. For example, my oil slick incident happened that same day, in that same location, five times to five different riders. This data could prevent future accidents at this location, thanks to identification of this particular hazard, and through recommendations for periodic road cleaning at this location.
I meant just bicycles, but still thank you.
Thank you. :)
:icontheawesomeshoexd:
TheAwesomeShoeXD Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
(I am assuming you are talking about motorcycles so I will fill this out accordingly.)

Shoshanah G

Not old enough to legally ride the damn thing, but I do it anyway.

Female

Sometimes to get from a to b, other times for fun.

Once I wore flip flops while riding on the back as a kid, and I burned my lower leg. Other than that, no.

late afternoon around sundown.

Never

Nope, just me, my dad and a couple friends.

I wouldn't give a crap about it if it did exist. Sorry.
I meant bicycles, but still thank you.
I meant bicycles.
:iconelmida:
Elmida Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
Name Wendy

Age 23

Gender female

I'm Dutch, we're born on bikes lol. I cycle every day as we've never had a car, besides walking and public traffic it's my only way of transport. I cycle about 70 minutes per day.

Yes, when I crashed into a car.

All through the day, at night too when I return from going out.

Yes, a car had indicated it was going to take a turn but didn't and while I was crossing the street he drove into me.

Except being Dutch, no.

Those things are all organized well in the Netherlands.
Thank you.
Add a Comment: