Closed to new replies
November 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Betta Fish Help?

:iconcoyvid:
coyvid Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My poor betta has been having some problems, his tank used to hardly ever get dirty but lately it has been getting really gross really fast. I have had to clean his tank once a week to stop it the water from turning brown. And the other day I noticed he has a chunk of his tail missing :C He doesn't seem to be acting any differently, but I'm worried. If anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondrackeagan:
DracKeagan Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
is he in a community tank? With other fish? And Betas only need to be fed once every two days. and your supposed to only give them as much as they can eat in three minutes, cuz when they don't eat drifts to the bottom and makes the tank dirty.
coyvid Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes I feed him 3 pellets every other day and I watch him eat it so that is not the problem. He is by himself in a 1 1/2 gallon tank. He used to be totally fine though..
:iconblubjee:
Blubjee Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think 1.5 gallons is a bit small for a betta. It could be tail rot though, can you make a picture of it?

Maybe you can do partial water changes everyday, to keep the tank clean. A lot of diseases that fish get is because of bad water conditions..
:iconsvataben:
Svataben Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Have you washed the filter properly? (As in taking it out, taking it apart, and scrubbing each bit.)

Then you might want to get one of these: [link] (Or something like it.)

You might also be over feeding him.

And there might be some funfus going on with his tail.

My best advice: Google 'Betta forum', and find a good forum with breeders and such. They'll probably get a bit testy with you for what you might have done wrong, but they have the best advice. If you really want to help your fish, they'll notice and really help you.
coyvid Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It doesn't have a filter :P
I know for a fact he is not being over fed.
Svataben Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It needs a filter! Water needs filtering, and bacteria need to live in the filer sponge to handle ammonia.
What the heck is that fish living in?

Go find a betta forum. Go now!
Svataben Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
funfus -> fungus :lol:
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
How large is your tank? If it's small, it needs to be cleaned, daily. They actually do better in about 5 gallons.
coyvid Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It is 1 1/2 gallons but it used to be just fine I had it for a year and weekly water changing and twice monthly cleaning was enough. It was only just recently it started getting bad.
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
'used to be' doesn't mean it's not the cause... Someone can smoke for 40 years without problems.
Add a Comment: