My mom disowned me

My mom just disowned me for religious reasons. Over the phone. FML.
Comments112
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
That's her loss.:huggle:
Well, your religion probably sucks. I'd disown you too, if I were her.
Hey,that is so mean!
You can't choose your genetic family, but you can choose your real family.

So make sure you have good people around you, whoever they might be.
That's completely how I feel lately. How am I even related to these people?
If your mother has or will truly disown you, then my condolences. Please take this from someone who understands that pain.
And a hug, hugs are always good. :iconbrohugplz:
:hug: thank you.

and really? Sucks to hear it happened to someone else.
You're welcome.:)

And it's fine, it happened a long time ago. You do get over it eventually.
At the end of the day, if your mum wants to lose contact with the child she carried, raised, looked after and supported for however many years you've been alive, that's her loss.
Update on the story pls? (if you feel like it)

Was she serious? Did she calmed down about it?
I'm pretty curious how this whole thing ends :eager:
Nope, nothing. She still hasn't called me or anything. Tbh, maybe living my life without having to worry about any criticism will be partly worth it.
You may be onto something here. Perhaps it will pay off in the long run.
Cheers for the update though.
I believe you should practice "unconditional love", forgive and love her regardless of what she does or says, but of course do not yield what she says, be loyal to your heart not your mother, your heart and your dreams go hand in hand not your mother's or anyone else's.

good luck.
Oh no, I do forgive her. I don't really blame her so much, she has just been letting other people think for her.
This. Not that it's easy by any means!

I'm so sorry your mom did that to you. She's wrong to do so, regardless of her reasons. Her love for you should not be conditional, ever. You do not deserve this no matter what you have done or what you believe.

I'm a conservative Evangelical Christian. You know, one of those wacko Bible-thumpers people warn you about. :-) I don't know what religious reasons your mother has. You didn't say. But I believe that every human being is loved by God, wholly and unconditionally, and that we who follow God are supposed to do the same to everyone around us. Which leads me to a hard conclusion: I should show love to people who hate me, who disown me, who think I'm totally wrong and should jump off a bridge. When someone stabs you in the soul like that, it's not easy. But it's better than the alternative.

Your mother may never "come around". She may never apologize. And that's awful and horrible and wrong. But I hope you can forgive her. She's clearly a flawed, scarred human being who does not understand love.
:lol: I'll be honest, if my mom disowned me over a religious dispute, I probably wouldn't want to have her as a mom anyway. I say good riddance.
It's that she's really not what you'd imagine an overzealous person to be like. She's actually really funny and sweet, she was never cruel to me at all. This might be easier if she was.
I agree with the others, I think she's trying to guilt you into changing your mind, and she'll be back when she realises you mean it.
In the meantime, spending more time with your friends and their families who understand your views (or don't care either way) might be able to help with any loneliness.
That's what I suspect as well. Who knows? If anything she'll have to start accepting me. Gosh darnnit, I might be a godless heathen, but I'm a good person!
That's always been the most important thing to me - as long as you're good person, what does it matter if you get the religious details right?
:-( Try to tell her what she did, and talk sense into her. If she doesn't take it very well, I guess you'll just have to wait and see whether she comes to her senses on her own. If she doesn't, just move on.

I'm really sorry for you. Please don't think that any of us on this forum are being sarcastic or anything, because we are (or at least I am) sincerely concerned. I hope that you find peace.
Thank you, it's been getting better.