Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 111

My mom disowned me

:iconxopumpkinlovexo:
xoPumpkinLovexo Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
My mom just disowned me for religious reasons. Over the phone. FML.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondawndancer11:
DawnDancer11 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
That's her loss.:huggle:
xoPumpkinLovexo Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
:) true
:iconbaseball777:
baseball777 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Well, your religion probably sucks. I'd disown you too, if I were her.
:icondawndancer11:
DawnDancer11 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Hey,that is so mean!
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
You can't choose your genetic family, but you can choose your real family.

So make sure you have good people around you, whoever they might be.
xoPumpkinLovexo Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
That's completely how I feel lately. How am I even related to these people?
:iconcrapcarp:
Crapcarp Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If your mother has or will truly disown you, then my condolences. Please take this from someone who understands that pain.
And a hug, hugs are always good. :iconbrohugplz:
xoPumpkinLovexo Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
:hug: thank you.

and really? Sucks to hear it happened to someone else.
:iconcrapcarp:
Crapcarp Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You're welcome.:)

And it's fine, it happened a long time ago. You do get over it eventually.
:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student Filmographer
At the end of the day, if your mum wants to lose contact with the child she carried, raised, looked after and supported for however many years you've been alive, that's her loss.
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
Update on the story pls? (if you feel like it)

Was she serious? Did she calmed down about it?
I'm pretty curious how this whole thing ends :eager:
xoPumpkinLovexo Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
Nope, nothing. She still hasn't called me or anything. Tbh, maybe living my life without having to worry about any criticism will be partly worth it.
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
You may be onto something here. Perhaps it will pay off in the long run.
Cheers for the update though.
:iconivan-p:
Ivan-P Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
I believe you should practice "unconditional love", forgive and love her regardless of what she does or says, but of course do not yield what she says, be loyal to your heart not your mother, your heart and your dreams go hand in hand not your mother's or anyone else's.

good luck.
Oh no, I do forgive her. I don't really blame her so much, she has just been letting other people think for her.
:iconsyncallio:
SynCallio Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
This. Not that it's easy by any means!

I'm so sorry your mom did that to you. She's wrong to do so, regardless of her reasons. Her love for you should not be conditional, ever. You do not deserve this no matter what you have done or what you believe.

I'm a conservative Evangelical Christian. You know, one of those wacko Bible-thumpers people warn you about. :-) I don't know what religious reasons your mother has. You didn't say. But I believe that every human being is loved by God, wholly and unconditionally, and that we who follow God are supposed to do the same to everyone around us. Which leads me to a hard conclusion: I should show love to people who hate me, who disown me, who think I'm totally wrong and should jump off a bridge. When someone stabs you in the soul like that, it's not easy. But it's better than the alternative.

Your mother may never "come around". She may never apologize. And that's awful and horrible and wrong. But I hope you can forgive her. She's clearly a flawed, scarred human being who does not understand love.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
:lol: I'll be honest, if my mom disowned me over a religious dispute, I probably wouldn't want to have her as a mom anyway. I say good riddance.
It's that she's really not what you'd imagine an overzealous person to be like. She's actually really funny and sweet, she was never cruel to me at all. This might be easier if she was.
:iconresident-bishounen:
Resident-Bishounen Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I agree with the others, I think she's trying to guilt you into changing your mind, and she'll be back when she realises you mean it.
In the meantime, spending more time with your friends and their families who understand your views (or don't care either way) might be able to help with any loneliness.
xoPumpkinLovexo Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
That's what I suspect as well. Who knows? If anything she'll have to start accepting me. Gosh darnnit, I might be a godless heathen, but I'm a good person!
:iconresident-bishounen:
Resident-Bishounen Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's always been the most important thing to me - as long as you're good person, what does it matter if you get the religious details right?
:nod:
:iconkarinta:
Karinta Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student General Artist
:-( Try to tell her what she did, and talk sense into her. If she doesn't take it very well, I guess you'll just have to wait and see whether she comes to her senses on her own. If she doesn't, just move on.

I'm really sorry for you. Please don't think that any of us on this forum are being sarcastic or anything, because we are (or at least I am) sincerely concerned. I hope that you find peace.
Thank you, it's been getting better.
:iconkarinta:
Karinta Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear that.
:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Sucks. Good riddance. Doesn't sound like she's someone worth keeping around. The fact that she birthed you is incidental. If you're not good enough for her, she's not good enough for you.
That is an oddly healthy way of looking at it. It's usually what I think whenever I see someone else in this situation, but then it happened to me.
:iconthenecco:
TheNecco Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student General Artist
I'm sorry :(

Your 'mother' should be ashamed
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
I'll be honest. I think that it takes a special kind of bitch to disown their kid over a fucking religion.
Either she's not serious or she is and you're gonna have to life with it. Either way sucks but, that's life :shrug:
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
*live My grammar's shite in the evenings. That's my excuse.
xoPumpkinLovexo Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
ditto. We'll see how much she means it :shrug:
:iconorangekrissy:
OrangeKrissy Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Certain groups do that, like the Amish. If you don't do things their way you are shunned by your family and friends.
:iconmidnightmagnificent:
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Enjoy the peace and silence while it lasts.

That's the best advice I can give you. She'll be back to nag. Trust me on that one.

Source: Been there. Done that.
We'll see how much she means it. One thing's for sure: I don't chase people anymore.
:iconmidnightmagnificent:
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, chasing people is just a waste of energy. I'd just sit out too, myself.
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional General Artist
Losing a parent; there's nothing like it and the pain's got to be beyond words.

Just go through it, pick yourself up and keep going on with life. That's really the only thing I can suggest.
Yep I guess I just have to think for 22 years I had a loving, funny mom that was a little weird when it came to her beliefs. But things just change, no point crying.
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional General Artist
You can cry; you need to let your emotions play their part or they'll fester inside of you until they all come spilling out in a mental breakdown.

Just don't stop living, that's all. As bad as life can get sometimes, it still goes on.
I've recently just lost my great uncle and aunt. They were the closest family I had besides my folks, so it's been a huge deal for me. But life goes on. It's a harsh fact, but it's the truth.
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that, aunts and uncles are always the fun ones. You'll see them again, some way or other.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
My mom stopped speaking to me several times in my life.

Unfortunately, every time I begin to enjoy the silence from her, she comes back.

Not been religious differences, but we have some severe differences of opinion on how life should be approached and lived.
xoPumpkinLovexo Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
I am enjoying the peace, I'll tell you that. Maybe it's time to just live my life without looking back.
Glori305 Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Dumping your child over a difference of religion is generally a manipulation tactic to try to get the kid to come back to the religion. Either that or choosing the religion over the child.

As a mother myself, either one is piss-poor parenting.

If yours is anthing like mine, she will be back. Enjoy the quiet while it lasts.

It sucks that she did this, but there is nothing that you can do about what she does, you can only control what you do, and in the long run, the person you have to answer to for your actions is yourself.
True, you know of all the things for her to stop talking to over, at least this wasn't disreputable. I don't know how much she means it, my mom is quite the dramatist.
Glori305 Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
Souds like we have similar mom's, I am sorry :hug: no one should have to put up with that sort of thing from their mother.
xoPumpkinLovexo Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012

I wish you the best of luck too!
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
There ya go!
:iconspaniardwithknives:
SpaniardWithKnives Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Wow. So, she plain and simple does not want to talk to you because you are an atheist?. You cannot do anything to recover that relationship back without stop being an atheist?. Anyhow... WTF?. It sounds crazy. I am so sorry.

I am an atheist myself, but being raised catholic I was teached that God was first and God told us to take care of our families, specially our children. You can tell her that, use the religion thing to get her back even when you do not believe, but she does.

I am lucky there is not religious fights in my family. We are all atheists, blasphemous fellows.
xoPumpkinLovexo Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
I'm so jealous, that's only one half of my family. My dad's side isn't religious at all, but my mom's side makes up for it.

I think what she expected was for me to turn into a puddle and crawl back to being a Christian. What she doesn't realize is I'm her daughter, just as stubborn as she is. Thanks for the concern though, it really does help.
:iconspaniardwithknives:
SpaniardWithKnives Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Gosh. I hope her and you can make it work at the end. It is ridiculous. Even if she is dissapointed, as a dissapointed parent she can ask you why you feel that way concerning religion, is not going to change the fact that you are an atheist, but everybody has a reason to believe or not; but disowing a child for this is just... no
It is just so much no.
Add a Comment: