Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 37

Hello, problems basically.

:iconronin-kin:
Ronin-kin Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student General Artist
I have depression anxiety and a slew of other things that aren't mental. Anyway I am usually a happy person ya know? But, for the last half a year I get so p*sed off when I try to draw that I want to smash my head agaisnt the counter..I don't know what is wrong with me, I can't draw as good as I should beable to nor that I used to beable to. I just.. I don't know whats wrong with me. Any one have any ideas? I look at my drawings and I just..There shit! I sound mental.I don't have any problems except drawing, I feel cursed so to speak.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongabe-seers:
gabe-seers Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Taking a short break is always a good idea. I also get those moods when your creative outlet just can't release all that pent up energy and frustration. There's no point forcing yourself to draw when the mood just isn't there. Try talking to your friends or family about your feelings, catch a movie or two; whatever it takes to relax. We learn better when we aren't feeling stressed or anxious ;)
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Take a break from drawing. Think things through, get back to it with a fresh set of ideas and clean head.
:icondancingintwilight:
DancingInTwilight Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
Be sad, for a minute or a day or a week. Then take one person in your head, real or imaginary. and draw something for them and take alllll the time you need
:iconmellish:
Mellish Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I've got similar mental stuff as you, and I can tell you something I've learned is that anxiety and OCD (I don't know if you have that) and depression often coincide with extreme perfectionism. It's something to work on, mentally. Give yourself freedom to draw crappy on scrap paper, and take time to appreciate that no one person can ever be perfect, or even close to it. I know how hard it is, the anxiety really plays it up. Of course it is important to study to improve, but you will have to take the extra step to try to relax and tell yourself that improvement is slow and that you are getting better, even if you can't see it day to day. Meditation is working really well for me, I recommend it. I've read that mindfulness meditation is actually something psychologists are more frequently suggesting to people with GAD and OCD, as well as PTSD and even ADD and ADHD. With daily practice, you eventually build the skill to be at peace with yourself and let go of frustrating, frightening or depressing thoughts before they take over and throw you into a fit of despair. It's tough, but worth it! You are on your own journey, and with the stuff going on in your mind, you will probably need to take extra steps to learn how to relax and give yourself a break.
:iconlong-range-engage:
Long-Range-Engage Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student General Artist
Aye, I've had that feeling several times actually, and ended up taking a break from Drawing to explore new things
pretty much every time. If ur drawing for fun, and it's doing the opposite, just take a break neh? And I mean like a longer
break, not a couple hours. Go find your other talents, or at least do something else that makes ya Happy. Then when
you feel like you're ready to go back, do so. And if that doesnt work, try changing up your style a bit, I find favoring
more stylized and cartoony pics puts the fun back into drawing :D Good Luck Brother.
Ronin-kin Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
Your pretty smart man :) Thank you I have been doing that when it gets too hard, I go play piano, look at other drawings, play games etc,etc. Which has been working great :) Thank you man! ^^ Everyone in this forum has been so helpful I am actually in disbelief, when I put this down I didn't think I would get anything more then the "Fix what the problem is" I got the only other time I asked someone about this. Thank you all!
:iconlong-range-engage:
Long-Range-Engage Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
Anytime, brother. Glad you're gettin' along better then :D
Aye, we're got a fine community here.
:iconstreaked-silver:
Streaked-Silver Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hey..i feel the same way about how my art is now, its so hard for me to get a work done, i see so much in my head, but i cant draw (had about 2 years of no practice) as well as my now mature mind can produce.

Its frustrating, and sadly the only thing i can say is "keep practicing" you gotta understand that you won't get where you want to be unless you work to get there.

and..i dun know.. i still think your stuff you've submitted is pretty good.
Yeah...Well I h ave realized I have to stop judging my self and holding myself to stuff and just draw.. And thanks man, you should just go back to drawing, don't even think about what is bad with the pic and such just draw, :) its been a while.
:iconstreaked-silver:
Streaked-Silver Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
it has. XD I'm working on a group picture at the moment.

and glad you found out for your self
Ronin-kin Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
Sweet! :D Haha I wanna see it when its done ^^, im also glad lol
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional General Artist
It sounds like you're going through some sort of block that's akin to artists' block, in a way.

My suggestion would be just to put your supplies away and take a mental vacation for a while, or at least until you feel your creativity returning.
Typically blocks happen due to stress, so until you deal with that stress you probably won't get far in your work.

Hope it helps.

Take care.
Thank you so much for the kind words, your right about the stress, ive been working through said stress since I figured some things out thanks to some very kind words of the people on this fourm.. This place truly is a great place for people. :) Thank you so much, I have been taking a semi vacation from the stress and such as of late which is wonderful ^^
:iconravynnenevyrmore:
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Why drawing?

Have you considered any other artistic paths? Perhaps you're not an illustrator, but you might be an animator, a writer, a graphic designer, a game designer, a web designer, etc. There are lots of artistic things you can do from your desk that don't include drawing representational pictures.
Well...I don't know, before I got like this I enjoyed drawing alot lol one of the few things I actully enjoyed and gave me a way to calm my mind and just enjoy it, but now I get very mad and it doesn't seem to come
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Maybe you would enjoy a different type of art if you gave it a try. I used to draw fan art and think I was a bad artist because I couldn't draw as well as other people before I found my niche in graphic design. I can graphic design the hell out of some shit.
I think I will sometime try something new..It does sound like alot of fun :) hehe. But I have learned alot from these posts.. And grew quite a bit, thank you for helping me Ravy and well everyone :).
RavynneNevyrmore Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Glad to help. =)
:iconevelyntaliette:
EvelynTaliette Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Writer
Practice, practice, practice. Don't think about how well you're doing, simply get the work done. If you start looking at other artists and comparing yourself to them, you'll never get anywhere. Any piece of work that is done, finished, with your best effort, WILL progressively help you get better.
I do the same exact thing, really. I'm a writer, and most often, writers don't make it. If you can get published and if someone buys your book, then if you manage to make enough in royalties to feed your children another day. Everything depends on whether or not that book sells, and if it doesn't sell, then you're going hungry another day in the worst case scenario. You need to think in terms of deadlines, and simply get the work done. It doesn't matter if you like your work, it only matters if it sells. It doesn't matter if you think your work is crap, because you just turned it in time for the deadline.
Take classes. Give yourself a reason. But never, ever, look at your work and say "this shit is worthless and it's hopeless trying to get better." If every artist thought that way, there wouldn't be any of us left.
:iconphotosynthetichuman:
photosynthetichuman Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
We should replace most "How to draw" books with this paragraph right here. Clapping.
Thanks Evelyn..Seriously your right.Ive been so..SO hard on my self about everything you know? I got to stop judging myself and what I do, it just distracts me from actully getting anything done. Thank you :D
:iconevelyntaliette:
EvelynTaliette Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Writer
That's the spirit! You're welcome
:iconphanthom-art:
PhanThom-art Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I had the exact same problem a while ago. I don't know exactly what you can do about it, but perhaps just try starting a different drawing perhaps one that's a bit easier, to get your flow back. Or just don't draw at all for a while until you've calmed down so to speak
Im glad im not the only one man.. I don't know if the depression has anything to do with it, I mean I have that under control and such haha, but..Knowing that I am not the only one does make it a little easier, thanks man :)I def have to take time to calm down and then start again instead of being so agitated lol
PhanThom-art Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think the depression does have a bit to do with it, at least it did in my case. I already thought I had nothing going for me and then I couldn't even draw anymore so that made me even angrier at myself for not being able to draw. But yeah, glad I could help at least a bit and best of luck to you, these things like the depression and stuff will all pass eventually, even though it may not seem so at times :)
Thank you for the kind words. You know I have figured alot out between all the posts, I actually have..Im very happy that I did this now. :) Thank you so much because you are right, it will pass, and in the mean time I will stop judging myself against others also and just draw :).
PhanThom-art Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Glad I could help, really happy for you that you managed to work it out :)
:iconckmlee:
CkmLee Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
you know what. I had the same experience for 6 years... maybe not as serious as having depression anxiety ...but I just stopped drawing for 6 long years! I was so afraid that I will never draw anymore. The reason why I stopped was exactly like how you feel "I look at my drawings and I just..There shit!". I was 13, 14 back then. Maybe you feel i was just young and was being childish haha... But now I realize it is because I take drawing too seriously. Too serious that it turned into pressure than motivation. I used to think that drawing is my only option too. (I still do sometimes lol) But there are really more options. Trust me. It took me six painful years to realize it. You just have to let go a little bit, and you will be able to see the world a little larger. I am not telling you to give up on what you are doing. If you love doing it, never let these negative emotions change your passion toward it. Not worth it, right? lol. Continue to do what you love. Just don't let it be the center of your world, then you will be able to enjoy it more than before.
I hope this helps. :)
Wow..:) That..does help man thank you so much *Hugs* I gotta keep going and such and stop comparing myself and such..lol :)
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Go back to basics ( I have ) I went back to doing the things that artists should never stop, the first time I was a bit rusty, but I got back into it.

If you want to see improvement, do something similar ( heres mine )
[link]!

Go get feedback, improve. Constantly try to think like an artist, look at how things are, how things interact, colour, form, shape. Be realistic, the more anatomically correct you are, the better the work, the more practise, the better. Go do it! Gogogogogo!

P.s every s i n g l e artist gets pissed off. Chill. It happens to the masters <:
Very nice sketchbook btw :) but I wanted to ask what you mean by basics. :)
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
You need to learn form, anatomy, lighting, colour. Thats the basics of art. Understanding will make you better. So if you want to draw dogs for example, do sketches like mine, lay out the anatomy, where the ribs are, hips, leg bones, it'll give you a solid understanding the more you do.
Ronin-kin Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student General Artist
That is what I thought you meant :) and you are 100000000000% right, I have to understand the form of the body and structure before and lighting and shading and such..SO much to learn, and yet I am so excited haha
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Good luck! :)
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012   Digital Artist
How much time a week do you spend drawing?
A few hours per day, usually 3-6 days a week
Am I the only person that gets so angry about this? I mean..My future is dependent on this, I can't do anything BUT draw, I have no skills a bad leg bad back and neck, I have very limited options in life..So this is really my last option.
Add a Comment: