Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 127

Social Anxiety Disorder

:iconpseudolonewolf:
Pseudolonewolf Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I started a thread in this very forum a few years ago, thinking I had 'Avoidant Personality Disorder'... and was promptly brutally and insensitively shot down by dozens of people for daring to self-diagnose and so on. It scarred me!

Since then, I've found out that it's not 'avoidant personality disorder'... Instead, it's called 'Social Anxiety Disorder', and it's not uncommon.

It's really crippling... I'm scared of talking to people or of 'doing things wrong', and rather than just being 'all in my head', it's literally led to panic attacks before. So I fear making a fool of myself, and having a panic attack as a result of it, which would make me even more scared of doing the sorts of basic things that everyone does every day without thinking about it...

I'm seeing a therapist, and I've made some progress over the last year... sort of. But it's really tough because I only leave my house like once a week, to see that therapist, and I have no friends, no job (I've never had one due to my anxieties, instead trying to make a living from home making Flash games), and, well, I've tried 'going to classes' and things like that to meet people, but I never bond with anyone. Feeling 'different' from most other people in my age range in terms of interests and views doesn't help at all.

I've been on a social anxiety forum before, but I suppose I'm curious about how many artists here can relate to this condition!
So I'm mainly asking whether people 'know how it is' rather than 'what should I do?'... Empathising is always more valuable than advice for me.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwedge147:
wedge147 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I had this when I stopped taking drugs in my earlier years, I sympathise with you as it was horrible.

I had it for around 2 years, I saw a behavioural therapist but it never really helped
me at all. Probably cos i had to suffer the 45min bus ride to get there.

The only thing that helped me in the end was getting any job that someone was willing to give me & force myself to do it.
It was hell for the first 3 months, but slowly the anxiety reduced until i was fairly comfortable around my work mates, then finally i became fairly comfortable around the customers.

I am still proud of myself for getting that job, it may sound small to most people, but i think it is at the top of the list of the most difficult things i've ever done.
:iconlugiayoshi:
lugiayoshi Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
I remember that I started to have my anxiety attack after one artist banned me on her Livestream chat that changed my life for good. She started spreading my name to other people saying I was the "Awkward of all penguins" and not legit. After that, one person already blocked me in DA, another one blocked me in MSN, three of my friends left and never come to the anime club and cancelled it and one of them blocked me on my cell phone, then my best friend who moved away, blocked me out of Facebook that lead me into a anxiety attack at college and the police took me to the hospital, and after that I got a probation, got banned from a Steam chat and blocked due to the fact that my speech is disturbing so many people, and then one person who hated me, called security on me. I was in great fear that I would easily get banned in DA, arrested in real life, and/or posted my name into 4chan to treat me like a Chris-chan due to the fact that I have a high-function autistic disability.
:iconmangekyomarie:
MangekyoMarie Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
I was looking to help and give advice but okay... I know exactly what you are talking about. I have anxiety problems. I worry if I'm doing something wrong and if I'm not I go very hard on myself. Which is weird for me, for I am the type of person that doesn't care what other's think of me, but I learned it's more how I view myself. Don't be hard on yourself, doing that led to deep problems for me. "I'm trying my best" is what get's me through not having anxiety. "Take it one day at a time" I tell myself when anxious about the uncertain future. And most importantly "If they can't accept me for who I am, they're not a true friend." ^^; I just gave advice didn't I? I just know how you feel, from experience this is what I've learned to do. Good luck. :hug:
:iconthenecco:
TheNecco Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student General Artist
You'll never get over your phobias without facing them
:iconwonderlandsunflower:
WonderlandSunflower Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Like, without "seeing a therapist" or trying "'going to classes' and things like that to meet people"? ^^'
I have a nagging feeling that he already *does* know that. Might be just me, though. ;)
:iconthenecco:
TheNecco Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student General Artist
I know I have to take out the trash but don't do it unless I get nagged again and again :shrug:
:iconhowlinghybrid:
howlinghybrid Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Okay so from what i've seen most of the people on this thread really need to pick up a psych book and try to really understand this kind of syndrome can do to people. I've dealt with all sorts of psychological maladies since my dad;s accident. I feel for Pseudo and give 'em major grats for getting out there and trying to deal with the issues that come with it.
Flagged as Spam
:iconfillintheblankstares:
FillInTheBlankStares Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student Writer
I know how you feel. Last year I had lots of issues with it especially. Somehow over the summer it seems to have gotten better, but there are a few moments when I can still really feel it. The most annoying thing for me, being in high school still, are those people who feel the need to ask why I'm so quiet. But the way they do it really puts me on the spot and I can hardly find enough of my voice to answer.
:iconpeachykit:
peachykit Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
my doctor said i have smething llike this, but not sure if same. i used to want to not be looked at and to be invisible. i just wanted to live by myself in a dark hole. i take nardil right now. i can work, little bit. i think i still need help but i can live.

umm... this is how they try to fix me. otherwise i would be crazy.

maybe doctors will help you?
Add a Comment: