College Help Please D:

So I am a freshman student attending Santa Monica College. A community college pretty much. I know that I want to major in animation and transfer for this school in about two years. just one problem. cant tell what would be a good school to attend. im willing to move around california IF NEED BE. i dont care if its a private university ,public, one specializing in art/film -doesn't matter as long as it has a good program. i have looked into cal arts recently, but i havent heard the best things about it. if anyone can give some advice out i would really appreciate it.
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I herd you are looking for colleges.
I am in the same boat xD
i was thinking of leaving to go to California
My thoughts were UCLA University of California Los Angeles
UCLA has a bachelors in a number of art stuff if you change your mind... and
they have animation degrees from associates to a masters.
A few special effects designers who did Avengers and popular some recent films went to UCLA.
just google UCLA and animation (its somewhat hidden)

Also there is another school that I saw in california that is called Gnomon School
I saw them on Deviantart,
A lot of their professors did a number of films such as: Transformers:Dark Moon, The Amazing Spiderman, and Green Lantern.
On Deviantart they post student work... and you can see just how good they are.
They sadly do not have official degrees, rather they are a vocational school.
But its something definitely worth looking at.
You can google Gnomon School to see for yourself.
Hope this helps ^ ^
yea do your research if you plan on going to art institutes some are good but others take your money and have horrible professors some of my friends told me about some but they are all over here in the eastcoast
lol you went to the school that was on the tv show the Parkers. Yea excellent schools are in Florida and Georgia i right here in Alabama and i hear about how big the art schools and club are over there they are serious. Look into SCAD which has online and alot of locations they are expensive but do some research and this school is big on professional and current comic book artist, film directors as teachers and have famous people come there just look it up plus what people need to see is you will get a better education the more money you put into an art school you get more experience and in the art world thats all that matters intead of going to a traditional school. I use me for example i draw from manga to everything and im only good on my own or from youtube help but i go to Auburn University and the only thing they offer is graphic design. Like most schools but they just teach you how to do so much basic stuff im in year 3 and still havent gone in depth with my major. its true but dissappointing i just decided to finish and take my masters at scad. But i been doing research for a year of the best art schools and full sail ( the campus) and scad are the best. i saw a video of alumni from scad and numerous people worked on excellent projects. Their game designers worked on God of War and Assassins Creed a few years back. And Some recent Alumni worked on the more recent spiderman and avengers movie. see this is a good filming school with these credentials i mean whoopi goldberg and tom hanks paid a visit to this school. My advance is to build your portfolio by doing some research on youtube and play with video editing software if you dont know how go on youtube. let me know if you have any more questions
Woodbury University!!!!
Does your department have an adviser you could possibly schedule an appointment with? Have you tried talking to some professors?
Go to the Art Institue of California its one of the best animation schools in America
You'll want to stay in Los Angeles, if you can.
Thats what I was hoping for.
I have heard good things about Pasadena City College. They partner with Norton Simon Art Museum, if I'm not mistaken. Although I might be, as it has been over 20 years since I was in school.
Hey, so I'm also a freshman in my first semester of college and I'm wondering should I stay in-state (I live in Louisiana and attend the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) and continue computer animation or should I pursue computer animation out-of-state or out-of-country? My major is Visual Arts with a Concentration in Computer Animation and I also want my minor to be a Foreign Language...or languages..
Well you may want to consider what your options will be, staying in LA. I don't know much about that part of the country, as I am in CA. I know there is work in Atlanta. I'm not sure if you'd be willing to travel that far.
Well, I have family in the ATL, and it's not THAT far away from home, since it's still in the south and all, but I'm considering that the students from both SCADs will be competing with those jobs, right?
OH yeah SCADS. That's closer to you. Have you applied there?

Yes, they would probably be heavy competition.
View all replies