Closed to new replies
November 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

I feel very lost.

:iconliquidblueeyes:
liquidblueeyes Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
So as of July I graduated from uni with a degree in Graphic Design and am now faced with the fact that I need to get a 'real job' I have no idea what to do.

Long story short. My uni was shit. It's considered quite highly in my country but truth be told it was full of tutors who only cared for themselves. They picked out a handful of students at the beginning of the first year that they wanted to succeed and fuck the rest of us.

Now I can handle that. I didn't agree with a lot of what the tutors said and throughout uni looked to the 'outside world' for help - doing work experience, getting to know other creative people, etc.. and that helped to a point. The problem was that within uni it was just full of negativity. Nothing you did was ever right or even considered remotely good.

I spent the last 3 years being told that I'm shit at what I do. Do I believe that? No. I don't think I'm amazing. I think that I am still learning and have some skill at this. It's just I don't care anymore. Why should I?

The job market here is awful (not that it's really any different anywhere else) and I am faced with the same question most people in my position are in - Do I throw myself into the industry and spend, potentially, years doing unpaid internships? Or do I just do something else?

If I choose something else then what?

Basically I feel like my life is a complete mess at the moment and have no idea what to do.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
You can't just work for commission, take a lot of one time jobs?
:iconstupidstudios:
StupidStudios Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
What do you want to spend the rest of your life doing? Do you give a shit about your art? Then go for it. Look for the work you want, and just get it. If they don't take you, start somewhere lower (like an internship) and work your way up; if you make yourself valuable to the company you're working at you'll soon enough get paid (and if you don't, you threaten to leave and then leave, and try again).
And if you can't apply your craft to your work, work until you have the money to start for yourself. But just do it, by all means necessary. Do it for yourself.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Buck up, University means fuck all in this world.

Put your head down, work hard, aim to be the best and don't stop.

OR, find a job/career you don't mind doing and have art as a hobby. Shit happens, just gotta do what you want and be prepared to never get anywhere with it.
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
If you are an artist you do art. There are hundreds of other jobs out there that dont get the credit they deserve and have a lot of unemployed members. Do those people mostly do what they were graduated for? No. Did they get the right education about their field? No. As long as you have a degree\diploma the world of jobs is open to you. If a person is creative and ceaseless in their search they will find a job.

My suggestion is to look for jobs that look for artists so that you can improve your skills while doing it. Or you can focus on increasing your skills and creations until you start to work on commision. Digital art is high on demand at the moment. Either way I suggest increasing your skills and become succesful in your own branch but dont expect much until you achieve that.
:iconguttedcorpse:
GuttedCorpse Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
I'm not sure what your situation was before you went to school. For myself,
I did not go to school right at 18. I am ever so grateful. I also don't believe in 2nd education
unless you really need it for the chosen career. Down at the career center, it isn't out of the norm
to see both girls and guys come in, just flustered. They either don't know what they want to do
or they have graduate school and hate what they have chosen, mostly out of Peer pressure.
From what I know about graphic design you really don't get personal freedom for some time.
People think it's going to be lustrous career, then just end up drawing logo's for a company.

Go to Artgerm's chat and ask him. He will make it very blunt.

You should do whatever it is you want to do. Ignore your friends, ignore your parents. If you want
to continue on the path you are on now, there shouldn't be anything stopping you.
Add a Comment: