How do I get my foot in the door?

There are many things I want to do, and any can come first. As unrealistic as it sounds, I want to become a musician (voice is my instrument, but I'd like to compose stuff as well), a fashion designer, a writer, and an illustrator/animator. Despite how unrealistic they all sound together, that's not the important part right now, because I will make it work. Many artists have done amazing things, and so can I, eventually.

Here's the point I am getting to.
I feel like I am seriously wasting my time in college right now. I want to get my degrees, but I am afraid that if I take all that time first, that I will be too old for anyone in those departments to want me.

For anyone in any of those departments, could you give me advice to just get my foot in the door and get somewhat known? I would appreciate the advice and help. I still want my degrees, eventually, but if I can get started even before getting some degree, I would be forever in your debt!

Also, please note that I will not accept responses like "That's too many jobs for one person," "That's impossible/unrealistic," or "Don't go for all of those."
I am not going to try them all at once, obviously. That WOULD be unrealistic. But I want to accomplish A LOT artistically, and I will not give up on any of that.

Also, this may be a good post for those who are in the same fields as listed above with similar issues about getting their foot in the door. :)
Comments19
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Something more stabler...but something you enjoy and also love. That's all I can say.
Thank you, everyone who has responded to this! I am pleased to see all of your positice responses and everyone here has been helpful!!
Everything ~Wikidtron said was spot on. I would also recommend internships and a visually appealing resume, if you're looking to go the more corporate route.
Thanks. :D Someone recommended the Disney World Resort internship program, and I am highly considering that. I didn't really think of a visually appealing resume, but it absolutely makes sense, so thanks! :D
It takes a lot of skill, good attitude, and self-whoring.

To get known as a tattoo artist, I started by doing a lot of free tattoos, trade work, and just being friendly and getting to know a lot of people. I worked hard to develop a specific style that people liked, and always had the goal of delivering more than what people expected. I think intention is very important here; when you set your mind to the idea of not just satisfying people, but BLOWING THEIR MINDS, and then set to work as hard as you can to make that happen, eventually it works. You can't get discouraged when it doesn't, though, sometimes it takes many tries.

I gave out a lot of little free pieces of artwork to promote myself. One thing I did that I still think was pretty damn clever was creating a cool image and printing it on hundreds of stickers, then giving them as gifts. I chose the image because it caught the eyes of a lot of people. It is the same image, throughout bars and party houses and people's cellphones and car bumpers all over the city- people are beginning to recognize it and associate it with me.

Meet other local artists. Hang out where they hang out. They'll start to tell you about shows and opportunities to get your work out.

Be willing to sacrifice everything to the success of your career. Keep in mind that being an artist is an unstable job; you're going to have to get used to lots of ups and downs and dealing with shit and just bumps in the road in general. If you let anything stop you, then you lose. Plan not to lose until you are dead.

Anyways, those are my tips for being an independent contractor. Good luck.
Thank you. :D I know my art is really good, but need to have a more positive attitude about it, for sure. I'm generally a shy person, but performing is causing me to grow out of it, so whoring out my art should be no problem the more I do it. ^_^
I'll be honest; your art has potential, but you've got a long way to go before you're going to get to a level where people are going to take you seriously as a professional. The beginning is REALLY fucking tough. Do not underestimate how much work this is going to take; if it was easy everyone would do it. I'm not trying to discourage you, just to give you a real and honest perspective. However, as people begin to respond more and more positively to your work, you will slowly begin to earn confidence in yourself. It feels amazing.
Yeah, I do have a long way to go, but all artists start somewhere. :D Thanks!
Of course you gotta start somewhere. Just don't stop. ;)
Stopping isn't in my options list. :)
You can bake a lot of that or the knowledge of all of that into many disciplines or projects. Writing and visual arts go together. Write and animate your own animated short. Make a picturebook or comic. Illustrate your own works. Make an animated music video. Design all your characters like you would fashion. Get into concept art and design characters/costumes/help sew them, etc.

It's probably a good idea to figure out a project you can do and build a solid portfolio in some direction and work yourself up that way. Thing is that for many things being very good at something is a selling quality and being so-so at many things isn't as much. I also love and aspire many different things, I want to make a game, I want to work in toy design, I want to work in animation, some day I want to do something for live action. But i kind of have to approach it from my own point of view, the oppurtunties I have and can aquire in the future and my current experience and skillset. One thing at a time with the aspirations for a lot of stuff.
Thank you. :) I find this advice extremely helpful! I will need to try much harder, then! ^_^
I'm just one dude though. You can find all sorts of more experienced pros out there talking about their life and times on podcasts or blogs. They are more approachable than you think as long as you don't forget they are people and not elves.
Yeah. I tend to forget that they are people and not random art gods floating around giving us awesome art. xD ((That's how I see them. Haha))
Become a top notch assassin, you'll then be able to force your way into any industry.

Other than that, you need skills, the ability to never give up, probably a flexible game plan, and a willingness to constantly find a way, any way, to get into the fields you desire.
Alrighty. I don't come from a very resourceful environment, so do you know what companies I could possibly harass until I get a job for? :)
Have you even researched the industries you want to get into and what it takes to get in the ground floor?

Then you have to look for local area opportunities and if there are none, you need to find a new place to go.

The reason why young actors go to LA is because they want to be actors......
Thanks! I have done some research, and sadly, all of my options require me to move quite a ways away, but it's worth it, for sure. ^_^